collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dreams Unfulfilled  (Read 946 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Dreams Unfulfilled
« on: April 18, 2023, 09:57:33 PM »
Mr R writes about someone you've never heard of.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2023/04/18/dreams-unfulfilled/

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Dreams Unfulfilled
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 08:58:27 AM »
I noticed with great interest in that nostalgic piece that wages for the ordinary working man/boy didn't improve much in the following eight years.  I started work in 1964 on the exact same £3 10s 0d.  I enjoyed that piece btw.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 09:00:50 AM »
The old HP at Grange Rd, my home ground for my Sunday teams since I was about 11

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 10:46:24 AM »
The old HP at Grange Rd, my home ground for my Sunday teams since I was about 11

That was my jumpers for goal posts playing field during the summer months of the early 70's and no jumpers required if they left the hockey goals in place and no groundsman in attendance. In about 1981 or 1982 we had a Good V Evil game on the Hockey pitch too which Good won on penalties. Our Preseason training also took place there. I only ever played a few proper matches there and those were friendlies.  The other side of that road were the Yenton Playing fields which I played for junior and senior school teams, football and cricket and also a few seasons for the Sunday League team when they started to hire it out. As a kid it was a preferred place for big matches as posts were left up. The amount of times we'd have to "run for it" from there as we shouldn't have been playing there due to it being a schools ground.  We knew where the hole in the fence was so it was hard to stop the games but even so and unbelievably, people would call the police if we were in there.  Hard to imagine that now.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 10:58:26 AM »

That was my jumpers for goal posts playing field during the summer months of the early 70's and no jumpers required if they left the hockey goals in place and no groundsman in attendance. In about 1981 or 1982 we had a Good V Evil game on the Hockey pitch too which Good won on penalties. Our Preseason training also took place there. I only ever played a few proper matches there and those were friendlies.  The other side of that road were the Yenton Playing fields which I played for junior and senior school teams, football and cricket and also a few seasons for the Sunday League team when they started to hire it out. As a kid it was a preferred place for big matches as posts were left up. The amount of times we'd have to "run for it" from there as we shouldn't have been playing there due to it being a schools ground.  We knew where the hole in the fence was so it was hard to stop the games but even so and unbelievably, people would call the police if we were in there.  Hard to imagine that now.

The Yenton pitch would be the one I know as Goodison Gardens I think, I've played on it a few times. It's by chance I've ended up there so much, my youth team was Water Orton but we absorbed into Holly Lane Colts for that year group when I was 12 till 16, and then a lad I worked with had started a team with his pals, all ex-Yenton lads and I started playing for them. We played at Sutton Park on the pitch by the sea cadets bit at Boldmere Gate, but we had no changing rooms and the league forced us to move, and after the horrors of Rectory Park for six months we got in at the HP, still got a team there 20 years later.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal