collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players Who Simply Aren’t Good Enough  (Read 20945 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Players Who Simply Aren’t Good Enough
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2022, 07:10:13 AM »

What they're not is consistent.  What is also questionable is their motivation and commitment to the cause. .

That comes down to coaching; players knowing and understanding their role, having belief in the coach and us having a plan b when things aren't working out how we want.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2022, 11:48:33 AM »
I can't but help reading this thread title with the internal voice of a headteacher/prissy WI member.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »
I would suggest most of these players are good enough - technically, physically, ability-wise for a midtable Premier League squad.  We have seen most of them perform at a high level on occasion.  We should not be a struggling club in this division, our squad is probably between 8th and 11th in terms of quality and strength in depth.

What they're not is consistent.  What is also questionable is their motivation and commitment to the cause.

Emery is a top class coach and manager, if they have a tune worth playing, he will get it out of them.

I agree with this. My interpretation on the motivation and commitment elements is that I see them very much as things that are often absent or severely lacking during adversity, not necessarily in a professional sense. It’s why these same players under different managers struggle to come from behind in a game to get anything, why they often concede goals quickly one after the other and why we struggle to hold leads in some games and collapse. I think this was what Gerrard was highlighting but he did it in totally the wrong way and without getting buy in from the players. As players they don’t want to be inconsistent and collapse in games. They want to be going to World Cups, play for their respective countries and bring success to Villa. I’m confident that Emery will provide the detail and structure to help them achieve that and any player that doesn’t or can’t will be moved on. There won’t be any place to hide now.
I agree.

Think it's worth remembering that the squad consists of players who've been considered good enough to represent England (Mings, Watkins, Ings), Brazil (Dougie, Phil, Carlos), Argentina (the 2 Emis), and France (Kamara, Digne) reasonably recently, and are all still 30 or under. That's before you start counting less 'elite' nations.

Whilst it's not an absolute guarantee that they're brilliant, they were considered good enough to represent a country you'd expect most/all players to be playing on one of the top divisions in the 'big' European leagues. I'm not having it that they're all an uncoachable rabble who aren't capable of playing for a mid table club.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 07:51:45 AM by algy »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2022, 09:01:06 AM »
Well, we'll soon find out one way or the other.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
I think the jury is pretty much out on the whole squad - I think we’d all assume Martinez, Carlos & Kamara will be good enough, Ramsey & Archer should definitely remain in the 18 to continue development….of the rest if Unai decides they aren’t up to it or can’t play his way then they will be jettisoned.  Said the same when Gerrard took over, we have a lot of good players on paper, we don’t have exceptional ones who perform week in week out.

Can see Unai being gifted a couple of new signings in Jan but wouldn’t be surprised if next summer is another revolving door one.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2022, 10:13:02 AM »
Thing is sometimes it’s not about whether the players are good enough, it’s about whether they do what they are told.  Take Ollie for instance, he’s struggling to hit a barn door with a banjo at the moment but we are not playing to his strengths.  Emery will have a plan for each game and I feel sure Ollie will be part of that plan because of his work rate.  If he keeps getting the ball then his confidence will return to his unplayable days eg Liverpool 7-2

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2022, 11:07:33 AM »
I can easily see the British spine being quickly disbanded and replaced by no name Spaniards who Emery knows, trusts and follow instructions. Could be as soon as Jan if the Jekyll and Hyde performances continue. By the summer the squad might resemble the Swansea team that did well in europe a few years ago.

Offline Risso

« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2022, 11:23:15 AM »
Thing is sometimes it’s not about whether the players are good enough, it’s about whether they do what they are told.  Take Ollie for instance, he’s struggling to hit a barn door with a banjo at the moment but we are not playing to his strengths.  Emery will have a plan for each game and I feel sure Ollie will be part of that plan because of his work rate.  If he keeps getting the ball then his confidence will return to his unplayable days eg Liverpool 7-2

It was Grealish and Barkley who were unplayable that day.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2022, 12:05:56 PM »
One important shift will be that players particularly favoured by Gerrard - like Ings and Phil - will return to be just another squad member. This means that Archer and others might get a little more gametime and enable themselves to prove their value in the Premier League.
... well, at least until Emery brings his own favourites in!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2022, 12:08:16 PM »
One important shift will be that players particularly favoured by Gerrard - like Ings and Phil - will return to be just another squad member.

Coutinho has been reduced to a squad member already and I don't have the stats but I would guess that Ings has started less than 50% of games under Gerrard.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2022, 12:11:39 PM »

It was Grealish and Barkley who were unplayable that day.
I was about to post just that!! If we’re using Watkins as an example ( and he’s by no means the only one) it’s basic poor technique, he’s had the chances to score but mostly doesn’t

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2022, 12:24:22 PM »
Didn't Ollie get a hat-trick with 3 very different type of goals in that game? And Klopp's first words to Smith after, were something like "Ollie Watkins...wow!"

The guy has hardly hit the heights since but it seems disingenuous not to credit him in a game where he clearly deserved it!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2022, 12:50:14 PM »
Didn't Ollie get a hat-trick with 3 very different type of goals in that game? And Klopp's first words to Smith after, were something like "Ollie Watkins...wow!"

Wow - as in we must have been really shit if Ollie scored 3.

Offline Risso

« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2022, 01:12:53 PM »

The guy has hardly hit the heights since but it seems disingenuous not to credit him in a game where he clearly deserved it!

The second was a belter, no question. The first was a simple tap in after a mistake from Adrian though and good work from Grealish, and think the third was a header from a free kick. a hat trick against Liverpool was fantastic, but he wasn't "unplayable" on the day in the way Grealish and Barkley were.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2022, 01:16:53 PM »
I think the much maligned John McGinn was sensational in midfield that day too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal