collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by N'ZMAV
[Today at 06:46:14 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:43:21 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by London Villan
[Today at 06:35:55 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players Who Simply Aren’t Good Enough  (Read 20874 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Players Who Simply Aren’t Good Enough
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2022, 12:34:41 PM »
Possibly an idea to see how they perform after they've worked with a decent coach for a while.

Exactly. This thread is a load of shite. As are the opinions of anyone who doesn't rate Buendia.

I didn't see any of the game and have no intention of doing so but I wholly agree.  One game at a place where we rarely get anything and a few of them have a poor game and all of a sudden they're not good enough?  It's ridiculous.
Under the guidance of Emery and his staff I'm sure Emi will flourish.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2022, 12:45:11 PM »
This is it. There are some players who will move on, but I reckon a good portion, under proper management, can flourish.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »

I didn't see any of the game and have no intention of doing so but I wholly agree.  One game at a place where we rarely get anything and a few of them have a poor game and all of a sudden they're not good enough?  It's ridiculous.

"All of a sudden"?!

Larf.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2022, 12:59:46 PM »
It depends what you mean by the next level. Top 10?
No, 14 would do ATM.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2022, 01:46:24 PM »
As Risso said somewhere, it's a clean slate for everyone. Regardless of our thoughts, Emery knows better than any manager we've had for a long time how to assess, coach and get the best out of players. If he decides he's getting rid of Mings, then I'd raise an eyebrow and be disappointed but trust him. With Gerrard, I never felt that way at all. Smith was inexperienced at this level and when you go further back, how far do you have to go to get to a manager that you'd trust

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2022, 03:36:07 PM »
I do wonder which of our players are most suited to Emery's playing style and training methods. We could see some shifts both in which players perform well, but also we may see some players currently doing OK flounder.
Chambers ought to be higher up the pecking order due to his better passing ability, and Carlos will likely partner him when available. The rest of our central defenders all look suspect regards being good on the ball, so one would assume Mings and Konsa will be sold on (should generate a good profit), Bednarek will be released at the end of the loan period and Hause will not return. The young lad from Fleetwood may well get some game time next season too.
Sanson, and Kamara should benefit from Emery's methods, but can see Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn being moved on as all are profligate wasters of possession. Can't see Ings being mobile enough, but Watkins definitely is. Traore may come back, Guilbert may get a chance.
Don't think any of our senior fullbacks will survive past next season, but hopefully KKH will feature.
I am sure there will be a few pleasant surprises regards improved form though.
Luiz will not be going because Emery doesn't rate him; rather, because the club gets an offer that reaches the buy-out clause. My guess is that Luiz, Kamara, Deaddonkey and Tim will be the candidates for the double pivot.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2022, 03:40:54 PM »
Deaddonkey?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2022, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2022, 07:07:58 PM »
Possibly an idea to see how they perform after they've worked with a decent coach for a while.

Exactly. This thread is a load of shite. As are the opinions of anyone who doesn't rate Buendia.

Which is all very well but “a few of them have a poor game” is hardly a one off!! They’ve been having “poor games” for the better part of two seasons. One good game in 60 odd is the ridiculous bit

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2022, 07:12:35 PM »
Hardly any of them have had 3 good games in a row since joining Villa :D

They really do need coaching

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2022, 07:40:04 PM »
Which is all very well but “a few of them have a poor game” is hardly a one off!! They’ve been having “poor games” for the better part of two seasons. One good game in 60 odd is the ridiculous bit
Quite.  It's not "all of a sudden".

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2022, 07:47:50 PM »
12/18 months ago Joelinton was regularly regarded as a joke, an awful footballer, etc etc. yesterday he destroyed our midfield almost single handedly and is now talked about as a revelation in his new position.

Coaching matters.

Every players I suspect will get a clean slate, and an opportunity to show Emery what they can do. That includes players like Sanson, Guilbert, etc.

I’ll reserve further judgement until we have seen what some real coaching can do for them.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2022, 12:14:07 AM »
I would suggest most of these players are good enough - technically, physically, ability-wise for a midtable Premier League squad.  We have seen most of them perform at a high level on occasion.  We should not be a struggling club in this division, our squad is probably between 8th and 11th in terms of quality and strength in depth.

What they're not is consistent.  What is also questionable is their motivation and commitment to the cause.

Emery is a top class coach and manager, if they have a tune worth playing, he will get it out of them.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2022, 05:54:21 AM »
I would suggest most of these players are good enough - technically, physically, ability-wise for a midtable Premier League squad.  We have seen most of them perform at a high level on occasion.  We should not be a struggling club in this division, our squad is probably between 8th and 11th in terms of quality and strength in depth.

Another reason for our position is goals scored and this is because our 2 main strikers are not good enough.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2022, 06:07:44 AM »

What they're not is consistent.  What is also questionable is their motivation and commitment to the cause.

Emery is a top class coach and manager, if they have a tune worth playing, he will get it out of them.

I agree with this. My interpretation on the motivation and commitment elements is that I see them very much as things that are often absent or severely lacking during adversity, not necessarily in a professional sense. It’s why these same players under different managers struggle to come from behind in a game to get anything, why they often concede goals quickly one after the other and why we struggle to hold leads in some games and collapse. I think this was what Gerrard was highlighting but he did it in totally the wrong way and without getting buy in from the players. As players they don’t want to be inconsistent and collapse in games. They want to be going to World Cups, play for their respective countries and bring success to Villa. I’m confident that Emery will provide the detail and structure to help them achieve that and any player that doesn’t or can’t will be moved on. There won’t be any place to hide now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal