collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711757 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #8070 on: February 09, 2024, 03:15:14 PM »
Unai singing mind the gap, mind the gap you cockney bastards!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8071 on: February 09, 2024, 03:22:48 PM »
Christ Unai, bit more positive please “ The reality is we are being consistent, and even losing [on Sunday] we will be in front of them.”

He’s been trying to temper expectations all season. That we have far exceeded expectations is in large part down to how great he has been getting this group to 4th. And that despite massive injuries nobody ever recognizes. But he knows we are stretched right now so we need to battle through. Some of it is the translation of the words he is using, but I have no doubt he wants to win. And it will be great if Digne and Torres can play this weekend. I know this week has been very shit after the cup loss, but it has shocked me a little as to just how negative it’s been. We are punching way above our weight and once in a while it shows. But for the most part we’ve been absolutely superb.

Online oldhill_avfc

« Reply #8072 on: February 09, 2024, 03:40:49 PM »
He is dealing with our second string back 4, that's why we are looking poor and I think this will continue until Konsa is back,

Torres, in my opinion, is our best centre back and hopefully him being back will make a massive difference.

They have very different roles though - Konsa is the better defender, Torres is vital to our build-up play from the back.

Totally agree that Torres is key to how we play out from the back.

With Carlos and Lenglet the defence sits marginally deeper which drags luiz and Kamala deeper and further away from the attacking options.

Also most of the time the opposition force the ball out to Lenglet and seem to force him back at the same time, so instead of picking a pass to a central midfielder behind the press, he ends up kicking longish (and we loose possession) or plays a square ball to more a who’s then in trouble

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #8073 on: February 09, 2024, 03:44:13 PM »
Losing three of your back four would unsettle any defence.

We laughed at Spurs when they complained of the same and they had Fraser Forster in goal. Remember they couldn't defend set pieces against us with two average full backs as centre backs.

Carlos cost a lot of money and with his reputation should be a lot better. But in any case Emery simply has to start adapting tactics to the players we have available. Carlos is pulling the defensive line back and Lenglet is becoming a bag of nerves on the ball.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8074 on: February 09, 2024, 03:54:02 PM »
Losing three of your back four would unsettle any defence.

We laughed at Spurs when they complained of the same and they had Fraser Forster in goal. Remember they couldn't defend set pieces against us with two average full backs as centre backs.

Carlos cost a lot of money and with his reputation should be a lot better. But in any case Emery simply has to start adapting tactics to the players we have available. Carlos is pulling the defensive line back and Lenglet is becoming a bag of nerves on the ball.

Spurs wasn't complaining, the press kept bringing it up.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #8075 on: February 09, 2024, 05:10:52 PM »
Christ Unai, bit more positive please “ The reality is we are being consistent, and even losing [on Sunday] we will be in front of them.”

He’s been trying to temper expectations all season. That we have far exceeded expectations is in large part down to how great he has been getting this group to 4th. And that despite massive injuries nobody ever recognizes. But he knows we are stretched right now so we need to battle through. Some of it is the translation of the words he is using, but I have no doubt he wants to win. And it will be great if Digne and Torres can play this weekend. I know this week has been very shit after the cup loss, but it has shocked me a little as to just how negative it’s been. We are punching way above our weight and once in a while it shows. But for the most part we’ve been absolutely superb.
This is where I am - we have massively over-achieved, and I would love it if we could get CL football, as I think it would evolve us 2 or 3 seasons in terms of finances and the players we can attract.  But we're in the top 4 for one reason, and one reason only - and thats Unai, but there are limits to what he can achieve with players that are (nearly) without exception playing at the highest and most consistent level they have ever played at, and his hands tied by injuries and FFP.

To me the positive is the signings we have made in the last window show me that the club is thinking long-term and the best thing we can do as a club to succeed is to have a world-class manager like Unai at the helm for an extended period. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8076 on: February 09, 2024, 05:38:01 PM »
Did any of the written press ask Emery whether he feels Villa have been found-out in our last two home games? Not that he'd give a straight answer but at least ask the question instead of blue-cards bullshit.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #8077 on: February 09, 2024, 06:27:40 PM »
What does found out even mean? The best managers in the world lose games. The best managers have bad runs. The best ones find a way to adjust and come out of it. We have been missing our best defender for ages, our in form LB and now the other top CB. It’s caused havoc with the way we play. So we’ve lost a couple of games. We will find a way to adjust. He’s always done that.   

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8078 on: February 09, 2024, 06:36:07 PM »
What does found out even mean? The best managers in the world lose games. The best managers have bad runs. The best ones find a way to adjust and come out of it. We have been missing our best defender for ages, our in form LB and now the other top CB. It’s caused havoc with the way we play. So we’ve lost a couple of games. We will find a way to adjust. He’s always done that.   

Found out means other clubs have found a way to consistently negate the way we play.

It's a reasonable enough question. I don't necessarily think we have, but it does make you think.

You are right about the way we play and havoc. For a start, Carlos is absolutely rubbish at playing the offside trap (which was the recent game when he stepped up when we were in their half?) - whereas Konsa and Torres can do it in their sleep.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8079 on: February 09, 2024, 06:36:48 PM »
Found out - easy for the opposition manager to negate another manager's tactics.

Too early to say for Emery, but Newcastle found it ridiculously easy against us, as did Chelsea, and worryingly Unai did very little to change things.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #8080 on: February 09, 2024, 06:42:29 PM »

Found out means other clubs have found a way to consistently negate the way we play.

It's a reasonable enough question. I don't necessarily think we have, but it does make you think.

You are right about the way we play and havoc. For a start, Carlos is absolutely rubbish at playing the offside trap (which was the recent game when he stepped up when we were in their half?) - whereas Konsa and Torres can do it in their sleep.

Found out - easy for the opposition manager to negate another manager's tactics.

Too early to say for Emery, but Newcastle found it ridiculously easy against us, as did Chelsea, and worryingly Unai did very little to change things.

Yes Lewis Jones pretty much said this so it's become a view of late
"Teams have found a way to stop Aston Villa. Home defeats to both Newcastle and Chelsea had been coming based on some sticky overall performances of late, notably in the 3-2 win over Burnley and draw with Everton. There is a common denominator with Villa's drop in levels in that Pau Torres has been missing.

They've struggled without his confidence with the ball and leadership without it. Opposition have cut off the supply lines to Douglas Luiz and Boubacar Kamara by pinning them in and allowing Diego Carlos and Clement Lenglet to pass out.

Villa have subsequently made hard work of breaking the lines and moving the ball quickly. When then losing possession, teams have manage to expose Villa down the channels in behind their full-backs. Also, this lack of confidence in their crucial offside trap does make it easier for opposition players to make their runs"

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #8081 on: February 09, 2024, 06:56:15 PM »
Who the fuck is Lewis Jones?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #8082 on: February 09, 2024, 08:38:25 PM »
Who the fuck is Lewis Jones?
Dan Bardells nemesis

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024