collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279951 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2070 on: July 23, 2023, 12:21:32 AM »
Well, so far the whole thing seems to have been binned off on the say so of Heck after 5 minutes in the job. He’d better come up with something decent next year…

But the club then made this is bit stupid by pretending it was about honouring (yawn) 1982 (obviously, on that landmark 41st anniversary) and yada yadaing about it. That's bad enough but to hear fans buying into this retrospective rubbish pisses me off.

I do wonder if they believe or have been told that though - that the fans want a return to that badge as it is the one we had when we won the league and European Cup?  If that is the case, then I could see why they might not like that, as it represents looking back to the past. 

Personally, I don't think that is the case and although there might be some nostalgia around the round badge (I've never really linked it specifically with 1982), I just think it is a better design than the ones that have followed it. 

Yeah but for one year only?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #2071 on: July 23, 2023, 12:34:54 AM »
Looking through our badges apart from some really early ones and the 80s crest ,the 90s one with the 'prepared' scroll beneath they've all been really bad . The variations of the current one have all been woeful. The star is pathetic and the yellow on sky blue is absolutely ridiculous and should never have been used .

The current one is a nod to the past and forward thinking , I'd not have bothered with the star but I overlooked that. Now it'll just be a one off as HECK decided he didn't like it even though the supporters chose that one and we're all happy about it at the time on here and beyond

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #2072 on: July 23, 2023, 12:51:38 AM »
What professional football club has a 'one off' badge for one season. I'm not talking about Liverpool for instance who use the bird and LFC and that looks classy and consistent but this is two crests with a lion backing off from each other. It's amateur crap and belongs at a Sunday league pub team not an historic, elite outfit

Why do we have to have ridiculous "part of the pride" "fight like lions" stuff too? It's embarrassing

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2073 on: July 23, 2023, 12:58:54 AM »
What professional football club has a 'one off' badge for one season. I'm not talking about Liverpool for instance who use the bird and LFC and that looks classy and consistent but this is two crests with a lion backing off from each other. It's amateur crap and belongs at a Sunday league pub team not an historic, elite outfit

Why do we have to have ridiculous "part of the pride" "fight like lions" stuff too? It's embarrassing

Agree on the last part. I think those slogan type things are wank.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2074 on: July 23, 2023, 01:04:38 AM »
I liked the 'Prepared' effort when it debuted under BFR in 92/93. This might be nostalgia years later, recalling a decent side who played in that kit and the general good vibes of the time.

But from memory it was well received at the time. It may have been helped by the older-style shield around it at that stage. The latter modifications in the Gregory era made it worse.

In contrast, the Lerner badge looked naff at the outset. But improved over time.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2075 on: July 23, 2023, 12:07:23 PM »
Start again, iterate further, expand upon, whatever phrasing you want to use it all comes down to Purslow left, Heck arrived and we stopped the rollout of a new badge halfway through production.

We don't know what his reasoning is, and won't get any more clues until the new branding is presented for consultation (as is required by the league).

Again you skipping around the point I'm making though, given that has happened (whether you like it or not) would you prefer:
We carry on with the rebrand anyway.
We completely abandon the rebrand and delay the kit launch, etc to have everything reverted to the old brand.
We spin some nonsense to justify a different branding on the kit and some limited merchandise that was already produced but stop on everything else.

They're the options we had, nothing else. I'm fed up of people moaning about the 'brand identity' and fan vote because they ignore the reality that the bottom option of those 3 is quite clearly the least bad in the short and long-term.

I would prefer we carry on with the rebrand but do it in a way that allows us to amend some elements of the design with ease at a later date. Add in a little future proofing... Like being able to take away the star, flip the lion, change the text colour, have the central circle claret & the surround blue, etc, etc.

There were already options available to have a standalone lion as shown by the example in the video where they mocked it up on the side of the stadium, so like Liverpool, Rangers, etc, we could have simplified the design for the American day trippers, but had something more solid for the traditionalists...

But no matter what option is chosen out of your three, there is going to be extra cost & upheaval.

At least by going ahead but with a little future proofing, we don't look like amateurs & we allow ourselves to amend things over time with the least amount of cost & fuss.

Which if Im not mistaken is what he did with the 76ers logo. Although, if the graphic that was shown earlier in the thread is accurate, it took several amends to end up with a visual they had in their past that looks absolutely atrocious... 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 12:10:43 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2076 on: July 23, 2023, 01:23:37 PM »
Well, so far the whole thing seems to have been binned off on the say so of Heck after 5 minutes in the job. He’d better come up with something decent next year…

But the club then made this is bit stupid by pretending it was about honouring (yawn) 1982 (obviously, on that landmark 41st anniversary) and yada yadaing about it. That's bad enough but to hear fans buying into this retrospective rubbish pisses me off.

I do wonder if they believe or have been told that though - that the fans want a return to that badge as it is the one we had when we won the league and European Cup?  If that is the case, then I could see why they might not like that, as it represents looking back to the past. 

Personally, I don't think that is the case and although there might be some nostalgia around the round badge (I've never really linked it specifically with 1982), I just think it is a better design than the ones that have followed it. 

Yeah but for one year only?

I don't think the initial plan was to have it for one year only to be honest.  Someone (most likely Chris Heck) has come in, obviously doesn't like it and has made the decision that it will be for one year only.  If that is the case, then there is no point changing the branding on everything else around the stadium and beyind, hence the two designs for now. 

Guess it will all change when a new design is created. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2077 on: July 23, 2023, 03:19:26 PM »
Sir David Reginald Woodhall MA (Cantab) is correct, a Premier League rules says that clubs have to consult the fans if they’re considering changing anything to do with a club’s ‘heritage’ like the club name, badge or colours etc. Presumably this came in after a variety of wrong ‘uns tried to change Cardiff’s colours from blue to red, and Hull City’s name etc. What I can’t see is that if there’s any punishment for not consulting, or what form the consultation has to take.

As Dave has alluded to, the consultation process is very easily manipulated in any case.

Our consultation process was nominated for a Premier League consultation award. I kid you not.

I hope they kept the receipt! Presumably they’ll be forced to ‘consult’ again? It’ll be interesting to see how they spin that. “Well, we consulted you last time, and you chose the new badge, but we don’t like it, so we’re asking you to consult again until you pick something that Heck likes.”

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #2078 on: July 23, 2023, 03:35:09 PM »
On the video where they released Diaby transfer, the opening image was the standalone lion facing left. The video also closed with that image and I wonder if that's where the club thinking is heading.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #2079 on: July 23, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
On the video where they released Diaby transfer, the opening image was the standalone lion facing left. The video also closed with that image and I wonder if that's where the club thinking is heading.

Which would be great.

And allowed for in the new circle crest branding, according to the video they released with the mock up of the standalone lion on the side of the stadium...

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2080 on: July 24, 2023, 10:38:56 AM »
Sir David Reginald Woodhall MA (Cantab) is correct, a Premier League rules says that clubs have to consult the fans if they’re considering changing anything to do with a club’s ‘heritage’ like the club name, badge or colours etc. Presumably this came in after a variety of wrong ‘uns tried to change Cardiff’s colours from blue to red, and Hull City’s name etc. What I can’t see is that if there’s any punishment for not consulting, or what form the consultation has to take.

As Dave has alluded to, the consultation process is very easily manipulated in any case.

Our consultation process was nominated for a Premier League consultation award. I kid you not.

I hope they kept the receipt! Presumably they’ll be forced to ‘consult’ again? It’ll be interesting to see how they spin that. “Well, we consulted you last time, and you chose the new badge, but we don’t like it, so we’re asking you to consult again until you pick something that Heck likes.”

Well, the club is determined to win things, so if we can keep consulting over and over again we will soon stock up on new baubles!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2081 on: July 24, 2023, 10:57:00 AM »

Do you like this stand alone lion, or this this blue badge with a globe on top of a ball with a ribbon running around it?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #2082 on: July 24, 2023, 11:50:23 AM »
We've got about 900 different lions , facing all over the place in different colours. It's an absolute mess and I feel sorry for those fans who buy merchandise unsure of what to buy

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #2083 on: July 24, 2023, 12:07:18 PM »
We've got about 900 different lions , facing all over the place in different colours. It's an absolute mess and I feel sorry for those fans who buy merchandise unsure of what to buy

There are a lot of things that I agree with you on over this issue, albeit maybe not as passionately as you are putting your views across, but a brand should allow for using different colours for one of its assets.

It would all be in the brand guidelines that are written out by the agency & given to the designers who make things like emailers, print pieces, merchandise, etc...

So I have absolutely zero issue with the lion being in several different colours.

Offline VillaBoy_23

« Reply #2084 on: July 24, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »

Do you ever get bored of the sound of your own voice?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal