collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Diego Carlos by Risso
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 11:13:26 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:43 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280121 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1710 on: June 23, 2023, 12:40:15 PM »
I'm absolutely certain it was manipulated, as was the previous one.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1711 on: June 23, 2023, 12:53:10 PM »
I don't remember much consultation when Doug changed it to the stripey one

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #1712 on: June 23, 2023, 12:56:56 PM »
With Heck’s input I’m expecting something along the lines of NFL or MLB. A strong, stylised single icon. No word-mark on the main logo… 

I really, really don't want one of those cartoon logos.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1713 on: June 23, 2023, 01:06:57 PM »
Last thing they should have done with Purslow before he left was post a video of him in the shower and then claimed the whole badge thing was a dream.

You've lost many of our younger viewers there Mr Shin ha ha.

Yes, what's the ref, Twin Peaks?

I hope you're joking, young man. If not, here's a clue. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXBU7B7PbQ

Ah, yes. Before my time but of course I've heard about it.

It's before my time as well but I don't know how you have gone this long without coming across this reference in general pop culture. Imaging coming up with that storyline? Fuck me.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1714 on: June 23, 2023, 01:11:00 PM »

Any Heck influenced rebadge will probably be some American rubbish.

I'm so disappointed.

It'll be six badges in 17 years. This is a fucking joke. I know fans of other clubs already think we change it too much.

Agreed.

When you see it like that, right by each other, our 'old' badge is monumentally shit.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1715 on: June 23, 2023, 01:12:47 PM »
Simple, and shit.

You're not really setting my mind at ease because so far it appears that we had decided on a new crest, and then Heck has come in and decided to put his 'mark' on the process. Not a good start.

It looks like a bumper sticker for Trump 2024...

Absolute dog shit.

Why bother asking our opinions, if all they are going to do is retroactively make up some media PR guff to tell us that they don't want what we want, but they are going to ask us again in the future what we want?

Just so they can ignore us again & "Becky" from an ad agency agency can tell us we need to change our historic & traditional values, all so they can sell more printed mugs & key-rings?

You're both missing the point a bit here.

I don't give a fuck what the 76ers icon/badge/crest looks like. My point is that modern design means that those 3 things can (and probably should) be separate things.

So for us we might stick with what we have on the 23/24 kit badge but split it into parts. So a lion on it's own becomes the logo, the lion in a circle with Aston villa above but no outer circle becomes a badge and the full thing with the star, the outer ring and 1874 becomes a crest (or whatever terms you like for each of those). We then have a 'Villa' element is a specfic font that can be used and a possibly a lionhead that can be used, etc.

To stick with the 76ers they have a set of options (that the above was added to afterwards) as follows:

Again I'm only using them as the example because it's where Heck has come from and what he's used to.

This is what we'll end up with, along with an official colour palette (with primary, secondary, neutral and accent colours all defined) and font set. From then on everything about the club will be designed using that design toolkit to give us the consistency of brand identity that a properly run business expects.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1716 on: June 23, 2023, 01:14:04 PM »
I don't remember much consultation when Doug changed it to the stripey one

I think the heritage rules only came in officially a year or 2 back.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1717 on: June 23, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »
Apologies if this has already been commented on. Silvano from the Latin Lions has spotted that the new shirt has the lion on the front and back facing in different directions

No, they're facing in the same direction (towards the left of the wearer).

They didn't do that with last season's kit, or the season before that, etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 01:16:45 PM by edgysatsuma89 »

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1718 on: June 23, 2023, 01:17:02 PM »
If this was Blues fucking up their badge we’d be pissing ourselves.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1719 on: June 23, 2023, 01:27:19 PM »
As long as it isn't MLS-y in a Bournemouth way then I think we'll live with it.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1720 on: June 23, 2023, 01:32:59 PM »
Apologies if this has already been commented on. Silvano from the Latin Lions has spotted that the new shirt has the lion on the front and back facing in different directions

I didn't say that they did, I merely pointed out that they're both facing in the same direction on the new shirt.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1721 on: June 23, 2023, 01:36:01 PM »
As long as it isn't MLS-y in a Bournemouth way then I think we'll live with it.

Let me come back to you on that in a year's time*. ;)

*Mind you, really hoping I won't have to. 

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1722 on: June 23, 2023, 01:37:14 PM »

I didn't say that they did, I merely pointed out that they're both facing in the same direction on the new shirt.

Fair enough BV. I thought you might have been suggesting there was some clued up thinking.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1723 on: June 23, 2023, 02:00:06 PM »

I don't give a fuck what the 76ers icon/badge/crest looks like. My point is that modern design means that those 3 things can (and probably should) be separate things.

So for us we might stick with what we have on the 23/24 kit badge but split it into parts. So a lion on it's own becomes the logo, the lion in a circle with Aston villa above but no outer circle becomes a badge and the full thing with the star, the outer ring and 1874 becomes a crest (or whatever terms you like for each of those). We then have a 'Villa' element is a specfic font that can be used and a possibly a lionhead that can be used, etc.

To stick with the 76ers they have a set of options (that the above was added to afterwards) as follows:

(I edited out the image cos it wasnt showing anything other than a nible stack full of random letters)

Again I'm only using them as the example because it's where Heck has come from and what he's used to.

This is what we'll end up with, along with an official colour palette (with primary, secondary, neutral and accent colours all defined) and font set. From then on everything about the club will be designed using that design toolkit to give us the consistency of brand identity that a properly run business expects.

That brand identity should have already been done when the new crest was designed.

A font family, official palette, etc. Rules for what & where elements of the design should be applied, etc.

Thats (overly simplified) simple brand identity stuff.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1724 on: June 23, 2023, 02:06:39 PM »

(I edited out the image cos it wasnt showing anything other than a nible stack full of random letters)

That brand identity should have already been done when the new crest was designed.

A font family, official palette, etc. Rules for what & where elements of the design should be applied, etc.

Thats (overly simplified) simple brand identity stuff.

Okay, and when you go and hire the President of Business Ops from one of Top 5 NBA franchise markets and he says this plan is crap and this badge is a retread, cop out.. what then?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal