collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280193 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1695 on: June 23, 2023, 12:09:08 PM »
Way back on this thread I wanted a standalone lion because I think it's a more universal option that would work well on shirts, on merch, in print and in digital, the branding trend for years has been moving in this direction, almost every great, and global, brand is based on a very simple logo that can be adapted to fit. That doesn't mean it's all you ever use but rather that everything else follows on from that basic logo.

If you look at the 76ers (important given it's where Heck has come from) they are a perfect example of how this works in practice. The logo itself is very simple:

Simple, and shit.

You're not really setting my mind at ease because so far it appears that we had decided on a new crest, and then Heck has come in and decided to put his 'mark' on the process. Not a good start.

It looks like a bumper sticker for Trump 2024...

Absolute dog shit.

Why bother asking our opinions, if all they are going to do is retroactively make up some media PR guff to tell us that they don't want what we want, but they are going to ask us again in the future what we want?

Just so they can ignore us again & "Becky" from an ad agency agency can tell us we need to change our historic & traditional values, all so they can sell more printed mugs & key-rings?

Because the options they let you choose from weren't good enough, so you were inevitably going to make a shit one and try and make the best of a bad job.

It's a bit like having the choice between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, either way it's the shit choice, and one that you shouldn't have to make.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #1696 on: June 23, 2023, 12:10:50 PM »
I agree with Paul.

The truth is the badge was doomed to failure as soon as they decided to have fan groups leading the design and a fan vote.  I would have bet £100 at the start of the process that we would end up with a version of the 82 badge.  Ultimately we ended up with a pretty messy mishmash because it was designed by committee.  It was voted in because there was no other realistic option.

I think the club have done the right thing.  If Heck doesn't think this is the best branding to represent us world wide - and he is paid a lot of money to make these decisions - then I'm glad we haven't spent millions rebranding to a pigs ear version of a badge we had for 6 years in our 150 year history.

The spin was inevitable and is transparent for those of us close to it.  It will probably just wash outside the club to minimise external embarrassment.

I know there's many fans who would vote for us to wear our 82 kit and badge in perpetuity.  And that's fair enough, it's beautiful, the greatest part of our history and what many grew up with.  But I agree with those that think we need to look forwards, not backwards to a 2 year spell 40 years ago.  With that said, I would prefer a fierce heraldic lion front and centre of whatever we do.  I hope Heck doesn't move us more down the abstract logo route.

Well put Chris.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1697 on: June 23, 2023, 12:11:40 PM »
Yeah, but the existing badge is Liz Truss

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #1698 on: June 23, 2023, 12:12:55 PM »

Any Heck influenced rebadge will probably be some American rubbish.

I'm so disappointed.

It'll be six badges in 17 years. This is a fucking joke. I know fans of other clubs already think we change it too much.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1699 on: June 23, 2023, 12:16:58 PM »
Way back on this thread I wanted a standalone lion because I think it's a more universal option that would work well on shirts, on merch, in print and in digital, the branding trend for years has been moving in this direction, almost every great, and global, brand is based on a very simple logo that can be adapted to fit. That doesn't mean it's all you ever use but rather that everything else follows on from that basic logo.

If you look at the 76ers (important given it's where Heck has come from) they are a perfect example of how this works in practice. The logo itself is very simple:

Simple, and shit.

You're not really setting my mind at ease because so far it appears that we had decided on a new crest, and then Heck has come in and decided to put his 'mark' on the process. Not a good start.

Absolute dog shit.

Why bother asking our opinions, if all they are going to do is retroactively make up some media PR guff to tell us that they don't want what we want, but they are going to ask us again in the future what we want?

Just so they can ignore us again & "Becky" from an ad agency agency can tell us we need to change our historic & traditional values, all so they can sell more printed mugs & key-rings?

Because the options they let you choose from weren't good enough, so you were inevitably going to make a shit one and try and make the best of a bad job.

It's a bit like having the choice between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, either way it's the shit choice, and one that you shouldn't have to make.

Then they shouldn't have bothered asking for fans input at all...

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1700 on: June 23, 2023, 12:20:10 PM »
How do you make it 6 badges in 17 years?

And Becky from the ad agency is a good laugh once you meet her.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1701 on: June 23, 2023, 12:22:40 PM »

Any Heck influenced rebadge will probably be some American rubbish.

I'm so disappointed.

It'll be six badges in 17 years. This is a fucking joke. I know fans of other clubs already think we change it too much.

Agreed.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1702 on: June 23, 2023, 12:26:04 PM »

Simple, and shit.

Absolute dog shit.

They have to consult on 'heritage' changes.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1703 on: June 23, 2023, 12:27:16 PM »
I was looking forward to purchasing new mugs, a flag and other tat but what is the point now?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1704 on: June 23, 2023, 12:30:17 PM »
With Heck’s input I’m expecting something along the lines of NFL or MLB. A strong, stylised single icon. No word-mark on the main logo… 

See below:

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1705 on: June 23, 2023, 12:31:25 PM »
I wouldn’t be upset if we got a stand-alone lion facing the correct direction.. whatever direction that may be.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #1706 on: June 23, 2023, 12:34:48 PM »
How do you make it 6 badges in 17 years?

And Becky from the ad agency is a good laugh once you meet her.

2007 - pre Lerner striped shield
2007 - 2008 - Lerner badge 1
2008 - 2016 - Lerner badge 2 (revised colours)
2016 - now - Lerner badge 3 (new lion, removal of Prepared)
2023/2024 - Round badge
2024+ - Heck nonsense

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1707 on: June 23, 2023, 12:35:01 PM »

Simple, and shit.

Absolute dog shit.

They have to consult on 'heritage' changes.

And we come full circle where they asked us & should then take note of what we say...

I understand that some don't like The crest. And they have their personal reasons. I respect that. I recognise as a graphic designer that all design is subjective & there are elements of the crest that I dislike & would change.

But they asked us for our input.

They created it based on our responses.

Whether it was headed that way via manipulation is impossible to prove either way, but what can be proven is that the clubs word cannot be trusted & that they do not take us seriously as either fans or customers.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1708 on: June 23, 2023, 12:37:19 PM »
It all seems a bit of a mess.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1709 on: June 23, 2023, 12:39:01 PM »
It all seems a bit of a mess.

And that's just the post quoting on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal