collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goodbye football RIP  (Read 12996 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Goodbye football RIP
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2022, 04:28:55 PM »
Oh yeah 🤔

Offline TonyD

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2022, 04:29:48 PM »
Do you think we're just a bunch of grumpy moaning cynical whinging old codgers ? Maybe the kids today get just as much enjoyment from football as we did back in the day.
No, your right the games gone Tom. Golf has always been shite.

UTV
I think you’re right.  The youngsters don’t know anything better.  Tis what they know.   It is probably us oldies that moan.  Although I try to keep all my posts positive on here as you know😀

There is nothing wrong with golf.  But do me a favour.  Don’t call it a sport.

Cycling on the other hand - awesome. 

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2022, 04:40:22 PM »
One of my favourite viz spoof magazines was ‘Golf ******’ which I can’t copy and paste on here but can be found if you google it and look at images. I think it summed up most of the hobbyists nicely!

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »
What else are you going to do at 8 o'clock on a Thursday night ?Couple of hours in the pub talking bollocks with your mates in Brum, strugggle through the traffic, stop for a hot dog of uncertain provenance,90 minutes of boredom/elation/depression/excitement, stuck in bloody traffic again for God knows how long, get home late so there is no time for beastliness or general depravity and wonder if it was worth it. Course it was.  It's the Villa. They will always be there. There is nothing you can do about it. It is eternal. It is the love that dares to speak it's name. I have even enjoyed some of it!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2022, 05:53:32 PM »
What a load of melodramatic bollocks. Football is a sport, a pastime, and something that creates a community. But that’s it. And if you make it more than that, such that it consumes you then find something else. But to post a goodbye email is just a look at me attempt. Look at how upset I am and how it affects me. Give me a break. So many greater things to get worked up over. And if you go, there will be a very, very long line waiting for your ticket. And Fred’s. Goodbye then.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2022, 06:22:48 PM »
Football as changed over the year's and not always for the better and we haven't been brilliant for long time but I just couldn't stop watching Aston Villa I just couldn't.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2022, 06:48:02 PM »
Nah, all golf can go. When I'm in charge it will be banned, and council houses will be built on every course.
can you ban cycling aswell? Not as a form of personal transport, just those Lycra-clad twats with the clippy cloppy shoes who all think they’re in the Tour de France peloton blocking up the roads of a weekend. You’re not in the Tour de France, you’re just some self-entitled corporate twat, who 20 years ago, would’ve been found on a golf course. Cycling’ the new golf. Talking about Australia here, not sure what it’s like in UK.

Great post 😂 exact same in Ireland. Vicious pro cycling lobby closing down thoroughfares so those same middle aged 'lycra-clad twats' can strive for personal bests on Strava in their corporate league tables.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2022, 07:04:39 PM »
What a load of melodramatic bollocks. Football is a sport, a pastime, and something that creates a community. But that’s it. And if you make it more than that, such that it consumes you then find something else. But to post a goodbye email is just a look at me attempt. Look at how upset I am and how it affects me. Give me a break. So many greater things to get worked up over. And if you go, there will be a very, very long line waiting for your ticket. And Fred’s. Goodbye then.

You're right about the melodrama, but given the point at the end of your post, there's no wonder the powerful within the game worry little about those who dislike the way the game has gone*. If some punters don't like it, they can piss off. Other mugs will take their place.

*to my mind it's better in some ways, worse in others and the approach which suits me best is largely to watch selectively without leaving the house which means I'm still paying something to consume it (and may mean an infinitesimal share of some of what is wrong is down to me).

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »
To continue on that theme, we're getting into the realms of Manchester United not wanting to sell a single season ticket. Villa don't want me in the ground now. I don't spend anything above the price of my ticket. They would much rather have the couple I wrote about a few games ago - a bloke bringing his lad over from Ireland, spending a fortune in the club shop, boosting the local tourist economy with flights and hotels, waving at the cuddly mascot and clapping along to the inane intro music. The only boost I give is to the Wellington.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:39:16 PM by dave.woodhall »

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »
As shit as Villa can be, as dull as it sometimes is, as corrupt as football can seem, as much of a shambles VAR often is or the the state of the refereeing, the annoyance of the big six, or it’s four? I could never ever give this up. I know I’m not someone who has frequented our grand home for many years, but I still love it and look forward to our games. It’s an escape from all the chaos.

Also every now and again it delivers such euphoria that can never be replicated.

In my 47 years there has been many memorable moments in my life. Huge moments of happiness and pride. Including in those times is watching the Villa, either in the ground or the TV, even the radio.

Life has also thrown many moments of tragedy, really horrible ones. Never ever has my love of football been that bad. It’s always a very welcome distraction.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2022, 10:25:19 PM »

A please dont go plea. Theres loads of kids and teenagers going to the Villa, next generation and all that, the way it should be. If someone decides they can’t bear it anymore, well thats a shame for them and goodbye.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »
At my age you would think i would know better but I keep promising myself I will not get up in the middle of the night to watch another insipid display, and yet somehow I always wake up fifteen minutes before kick off and of course I put the kettle on.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2022, 01:10:57 AM »
I am sometime bored with football. But never bored with Villa. Why? Because it is Villa. It May sound weird that an old French bloke like me should be so mad about Villa. Simple I loved football in the 70's 80's , got  a job in Birmingham I could have gone different ways (can't name them on here) but no i couldn't it had to be Villa.It is Villa and will always be Villa. I always have Nice time at VP withe friends. Just wish i could go more often.

No matter how much they fuck  I will always be VTID and proud of it. The greatest most dysfunctional family ever.

Who is fucking? Where can I watch?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2022, 08:40:59 AM »
Goodbye football *logs on a day later to see if melodramatic flounce is still attracting attention*.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2022, 08:51:30 AM »
This thread title reminds me of the Barnstonworth United training scene from Ripping Yarns.
Right at the end it's
"Goodbye shorts. Hello football!!"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal