collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goodbye football RIP  (Read 13309 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Goodbye football RIP
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2022, 01:32:34 PM »
Golf is a brilliant sport.

Golf clubs on the other hand, or more particularly those insufferable blazer wearing types that 'run' said clubs, are utter twats in the main.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2022, 02:59:14 PM »
Nah, all golf can go. When I'm in charge it will be banned, and council houses will be built on every course.
can you ban cycling aswell? Not as a form of personal transport, just those Lycra-clad twats with the clippy cloppy shoes who all think they’re in the Tour de France peloton blocking up the roads of a weekend. You’re not in the Tour de France, you’re just some self-entitled corporate twat, who 20 years ago, would’ve been found on a golf course. Cycling’ the new golf. Talking about Australia here, not sure what it’s like in UK.
colder

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2022, 03:02:53 PM »
There's a lot not to like about modern football, but on the plus side Leeds United are about to be relegated.   

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2022, 03:07:12 PM »
Nah, all golf can go. When I'm in charge it will be banned, and council houses will be built on every course.
can you ban cycling aswell? Not as a form of personal transport, just those Lycra-clad twats with the clippy cloppy shoes who all think they’re in the Tour de France peloton blocking up the roads of a weekend. You’re not in the Tour de France, you’re just some self-entitled corporate twat, who 20 years ago, would’ve been found on a golf course. Cycling’ the new golf. Talking about Australia here, not sure what it’s like in UK.
colder

But essentially the same.

I've got issues with the 'all-the-gear-no-idea' mob, not just the cyclists but the runners too, with their various headgear, fitbits, ergonomically designed water bottles, weird socks and space shoes.

Just put on some shorts, a t-shirt  and a pair of trainers and run for fucks sakes.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2022, 03:09:58 PM »
 Do you think we're just a bunch of grumpy moaning cynical whinging old codgers ? Maybe the kids today get just as much enjoyment from football as we did back in the day.
No, your right the games gone Tom. Golf has always been shite.

UTV

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2022, 03:14:01 PM »
colder

I've got issues with the 'all-the-gear-no-idea' mob, not just the cyclists but the runners too, with their various headgear, fitbits, ergonomically designed water bottles, weird socks and space shoes.

Just put on some shorts, a t-shirt  and a pair of trainers and run for fucks sakes.

in all walks of life you have tossers lets not tarnish everyone who participates in these activities ,    now table tennis , bastards  !! ;)

Offline charlatan

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2022, 03:31:15 PM »
colder

I'm the latter type. Cycling puts me off though because when my crap bike breaks I struggle to fix it. I do wonder what it's like to ride a good bike though. Something similar applies to hill walking too. Working class pursuits rendered bourgeois via kit aesthetics.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2022, 03:52:09 PM »
colder

I'm the latter type. Cycling puts me off though because when my crap bike breaks I struggle to fix it. I do wonder what it's like to ride a good bike though. Something similar applies to hill walking too. Working class pursuits rendered bourgeois via kit aesthetics.

I was browsing the web the other day and thought I'd patronise a former colleagues relatively new outdoor/extreme pursuits clothing brand and website for some trousers, go anywhere, hardwearing, stay dry, adventure trousers for windy walks on Dartmoor. Came across a pair I liked. £495

Decathlon it is then.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2022, 04:10:14 PM »
Dont give up on football.

Theres a lot not to like about it, and I agree with a lot of the things being said, football immitates live - both at the moment society is a bit stuck with big bridges between the haves and have nots.

Theres a lot not to like about the way football has gone - but football is owned by people and memories.  Its not entertainment, its a way of live, or certainly a big part of it.

I cant wait to take my kids to Villa, or any football match too be honest, I have had to work really hard to get them interested. 

I can understand people giving up on the premiership, or even giving up on Villa (although I dont think I ever will), but not giving up football.  Because every Saturday - there are 1000s of teams playing the game - and just because there are 5 or 6 really shitty ones doesnt mean the games gone.  Some of the best games I have watched have been non-league ones

If I were you I'd come next season, cos, you know - I think next year really is our year for the Cup

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2022, 04:16:22 PM »
I keep reading the title of this thread to the tune of the opening line of The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.

You're welcome.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2022, 04:18:26 PM »
Me too, FFS.

Online Scovilla

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2022, 04:18:41 PM »
I am sometime bored with football. But never bored with Villa. Why? Because it is Villa. It May sound weird that an old French bloke like me should be so mad about Villa. Simple I loved football in the 70's 80's , got  a job in Birmingham I could have gone different ways (can't name them on here) but no i couldn't it had to be Villa.It is Villa and will always be Villa. I always have Nice time at VP withe friends. Just wish i could go more often.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2022, 04:22:31 PM »
I am sometime bored with football. But never bored with Villa. Why? Because it is Villa. It May sound weird that an old French bloke like me should be so mad about Villa. Simple I loved football in the 70's 80's , got  a job in Birmingham I could have gone different ways (can't name them on here) but no i couldn't it had to be Villa.It is Villa and will always be Villa. I always have Nice time at VP withe friends. Just wish i could go more often.

No matter how much they fuck  I will always be VTID and proud of it. The greatest most dysfunctional family ever.

Online danno

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2022, 04:25:57 PM »
I keep reading the title of this thread to the tune of the opening line of The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.

You're welcome.

Goodbye football, my old friend my time with you is at an end
Because lately my enjoyment of the game has been seeping
and the price of my season ticket keeps on increasing
And the vision
of me with Nick Faldo that was planted in my brain
Still remains Within the round of silence

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2022, 04:26:31 PM »
Generally, football is nowhere near as fun when you're not emotionally invested. I will go to non-league games, but I'm far more interested in visiting nearby pubs than I am in the actual match.

To be fair this is also true when you watch Villa!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal