collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goodbye football RIP  (Read 13000 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Goodbye football RIP
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
I was working in Manchester 20 odd years ago when they scraped past Gillingham on penalties, Brian. All the Man City fans I knew then were decent, knowledgable sorts, even more put upon then we were in recent years. Now though,  they make the average Man U daytripper look like the salt of the earth.

This. This written in twenty foot fluorescent letters across the front of the Arndale Centre and on a digital billboard outside Piccadilly station. When I was involved with the FSA and fanzines every City fan I came across was great. Passionate, wry, good-humoured and they cared about football as much as they cared about their own club. Even the best one from then have turned into arseholes now.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2022, 01:01:49 PM »
I have to endure the shame of a plastic manc in the family.  I took my brother's grandson to his first ever football game at Villa Park with my own kids.  Bought him his first Villa scarf.  There he was on Facebook this morning crowing about being a glory hunting Citeh stalwart.  Until he was sixteen he thought Manchester was a breed of terrier.  Thick turncoat arsehole.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
I have to endure the shame of a plastic manc in the family.  I took my brother's grandson to his first ever football game at Villa Park with my own kids.  Bought him his first Villa scarf.  There he was on Facebook this morning crowing about being a glory hunting Citeh stalwart.  Until he was sixteen he thought Manchester was a breed of terrier.  Thick turncoat arsehole.

Can you get the boxing grandson to have a word?

Offline brian green

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »
Compare that lot yesterday with the Man City fans who carried a banner at Villa Park wishing us well in our pursuit of the title.

Offline mike

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2022, 01:11:39 PM »
Money has ruined the game - plain and simple. I have been a Villa fan for nearly 50 years and been fortunate to see us win 2 league cups. I moved away from the midland around 30 years ago, so haven't had the chance to get to as many games - last Villa game I saw was in the Championship.

This season I have been to around half a dozen Carlisle United games (where I now live) and have loved it. OK, you aren't going to get world class footballing skills but you get proper football where most of the time the better team wins. No VAR too. Most league two players earn good (but not stupid) money (around £40k - £60k PER YEAR). The players live in the area and you quite often see them shopping in the local supermarket.

I hate the way that money has taken over the game. It's become a just another form of visual entertainment for the consumption of 'fans' worldwide. It's a homogenised product in a sterilised package.

I urge everyone who is disillusioned with the PL to go and see a lower league game - for me it was like going back to my youth at Villa Park - standing on the terraces again - which I can at Carlisle. Plus it feels good that my £16 ticket money is not lining the pockets of millionaires.

I completely agree. My dad who followed football from the 30s onwards loved lower league games because it reminded him what football used to b3 about. I’ve been to Malvern Town and Forest Green Rovers and a great day out without the pollution of money and Sky. I certainly don’t support them and hoping they win but not really giving much of a shit is a nice change.

I lived near to Barrow for about 9 years. I remember when they had to have a police presence on payday to protect the manager because the players were only going to be paid a fraction of their wages… in cash in an old brown envelope. They’ve obviously done alright since. I expect the Carlisle matches were a bit fraught.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2022, 01:17:31 PM »
Compare that lot yesterday with the Man City fans who carried a banner at Villa Park wishing us well in our pursuit of the title.

I think that's part of the problem. They think the world owes them a debt of gratitude for saving us from Manchester United.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:23 PM »

I think that's part of the problem. They think the world owes them a debt of gratitude for saving us from Manchester United.

That fucking banner showed them up for the no-mark, bitter twats they were/still are and in my mind, even as a youth at the time, marked them down as a nothing club to me.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2022, 01:28:15 PM »
See you in August.

You didn't have to wait that long, he was back on this site yesterday.

Offline brian green

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2022, 01:30:35 PM »
We need saving from Manchester United like we need saving from Puff the Magic Dragon.

Offline brian green

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »
Radio. Saturday afternon). "And here are the football results      Aston Villa 3  Global Merchandizing Brand Trade Partnerships Still Available Contact Tracey On Line For Details United  0,   Dirty Leeds 0, Tottenham Ground Naming Rights Still Available 7....."

Offline brian green

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2022, 02:00:21 PM »
If you think I am being daft, have a look at the names they give horse races these days.  What used to be the 2.30 is now the "Happy Anniversary Eric and Eileen Congratulations On Your Golden Wedding No Presents Please But A Contribution To Saveabudgie Would Make Our Day" Handicap.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »

That fucking banner showed them up for the no-mark, bitter twats they were/still are and in my mind, even as a youth at the time, marked them down as a nothing club to me.

That's teams in blue for you.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2022, 02:02:20 PM »
We need to fucking win something, that will stop the glory hunters going elsewhere.

I don't want those c unts anywhere near me.

I'd rather be exactly what we are than change to come onto their radar.

I don't think I worded it very well. I meant it would stop kids becoming glory-hunters as we'd be on the map more.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal