collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:33:07 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:31:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 11:24:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goodbye football RIP  (Read 13268 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Goodbye football RIP
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 12:11:26 PM »
Nah, all golf can go. When I'm in charge it will be banned, and council houses will be built on every course.

Can I be your right hand man?  I'd turn the courses into parks or Nature Reserves though, but I get the juxtaposition of sticking council estates on them.

I'm still trying to get my head around giving football up for Golf.

You can, and with executive powers to turn retail parks and motorways into nature reserves.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2022, 12:18:21 PM »
I agree that the game is broken tbh.  The gap between the haves and have nots is so wide and there a constant desire by the 'top clubs' to keep tipping those scales and pull up the drawbridge even more.  In the last 2 years we've seem 'project big picture,' Super League, the attempt to implement the Champs league coefficient qualification and and now the 5 subs rule.  It disgusts me, it really does.

I long for the days the likes of Villa, Ipswich, Everton and Leeds could challenge for league titles.  Now it's just which of 2-3 clubs with endless finances will win, whilst they come up with new ways to keep their foot on the necks of the irrelevant 14.

I'll stick with it in the forlorn hope that we can compete at the top table again one day.  But I completely understand why some have given up.  We have killed the beautiful game.

Leicester winning the league in 2016 has led to much of this.  There is no way the Sky 6 will allow an outsider to muscle their way in.

It's their ball, you can't play with it

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2022, 12:28:40 PM »
I gave up on boxing and Formula One decades ago. Modern football is distasteful (money, VAR, theatrics, Citeh, the FA Cup...) but, fuck me, golf!

Distasteful and vulgar.

I think Golf is a good way for people with a few years on the clock and a bit of extra dosh to go and get a bit of exercise but other than that it's a big pile of shite IMHO.

I have to be fair and say that my dad played off 13 and was on the senior team at Hatchford Brook (he is a former fitter at the Land Rover so not exactly monied). He lived for his golf. I also have mates who love a round, and I can understand the attraction.

We take the piss but there is much truth in the OP as others have pointed out.

Offline cdward

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2022, 12:29:35 PM »
Golf is just tiddlywinks, with clubs as squidgers and balls as winks.

Online danno

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with golf, love sinking a putt after navigating the windmill and pirate ship obstacles.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »
Nah, all golf can go. When I'm in charge it will be banned, and council houses will be built on every course.

Can I be your right hand man?  I'd turn the courses into parks or Nature Reserves though, but I get the juxtaposition of sticking council estates on them.

I'm still trying to get my head around giving football up for Golf.

You can, and with executive powers to turn retail parks and motorways into nature reserves.
David Byrne missed a trickle not putting in a line about golf courses:

Online dr.chekov

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »
I hate that football has been ruined by the likes of evil super league clubs and I hate that Villa never got to be one of the evil super league clubs doing the ruining.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2022, 12:48:55 PM »
I gave up on boxing and Formula One decades ago. Modern football is distasteful (money, VAR, theatrics, Citeh, the FA Cup...) but, fuck me, golf!

Distasteful and vulgar.

I think Golf is a good way for people with a few years on the clock and a bit of extra dosh to go and get a bit of exercise but other than that it's a big pile of shite IMHO.

I have to be fair and say that my dad played off 13 and was on the senior team at Hatchford Brook (he is a former fitter at the Land Rover so not exactly monied). He lived for his golf. I also have mates who love a round, and I can understand the attraction.

We take the piss but there is much truth in the OP as others have pointed out.

I've got quite a few mates that are well into it.

The twats.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2022, 01:02:40 PM »
I can't stand the sport of football either and I think many share that sentiment. The devaluation of the FA Cup, the un-competitiveness of the league, the favouritism from the media, the financial doping and sadly the way Villa have been been unable to keep up or made self-defeating decisions and have been pushed to the periphery over the years.

That said, supporting Villa is an identity thing for me, it's not about how competitive we are; it's the colours, its the friends and family who have been and are Villa. The ground, the uniqueness, the history.

I hope OP makes his way back to Villa.

Online Clampy

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 01:10:17 PM »
Great post

Exactly how I'm feeling

I've lost the love for football completely,can't watch it anymore and generally find it boring

Possibly the most contradictory post in here.

Disgrace.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2022, 01:11:46 PM »
I can't stand the sport of football either and I think many share that sentiment. The devaluation of the FA Cup, the un-competitiveness of the league, the favouritism from the media, the financial doping and sadly the way Villa have been been unable to keep up or made self-defeating decisions and have been pushed to the periphery over the years.

That said, supporting Villa is an identity thing for me, it's not about how competitive we are; it's the colours, its the friends and family who have been and are Villa. The ground, the uniqueness, the history.

I hope OP makes his way back to Villa.
Many times I felt like giving up but it's a two way thing,I couldn't look myself in the mirror and find that I given up on my best friend, you don't choose Aston Villa Football Club , it's chooses you and for the high and the lows we will carry on VTID

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2022, 01:29:52 PM »
Got some nominees here for Drama Queen Of The Year 2022.

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »
Great post

Exactly how I'm feeling

I've lost the love for football completely,can't watch it anymore and generally find it boring

But yet you do, and still find time to come on here and moan about every aspect of it on a daily basis. Maybe let someone else have your ticket who may actually appreciate the experience and do something that makes you happy?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2022, 01:31:07 PM »
can you ban cycling aswell? Not as a form of personal transport, just those Lycra-clad twats with the clippy cloppy shoes who all think they’re in the Tour de France peloton blocking up the roads of a weekend. You’re not in the Tour de France, you’re just some self-entitled corporate twat, who 20 years ago, would’ve been found on a golf course. Cycling’ the new golf. Talking about Australia here, not sure what it’s like in UK.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
Got some nominees here for Drama Queen Of The Year 2022.

Somebody, anybody, needs to think of the children.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal