collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 30570 times)

Offline LukeJames

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2022, 09:28:53 PM »

If that was the problem, McGinn should be subbed in the second minute. He gives the ball away so cheaply.

It's literally all he ever does in a Villa shirt these days. I don't care that he's not playing in the same position he does when he's playing for Scotland against the Faroes or Israel, passing to somebody in the same coloured shirt shouldn't be beyond him. Over-rated, get shut in the summer, he very rarely does enough.
Ah, the “literally” argument. Almost on a par with “plan B” as a shite pundit’s reason for a poor display. John Mcginn has scored many goals for Scotland against decent opposition, not just also rans like Israel or the Faroes. He will come good again, as he has done before.

He probably will. But he's been below par for way to long for us and needs taking out.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2022, 09:29:18 PM »
I mean on the bench, not cross bow.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2022, 09:39:00 PM »
When is Marvellous coming back? I suspect when he does SJM will be back to his old self.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2022, 09:41:23 PM »

If that was the problem, McGinn should be subbed in the second minute. He gives the ball away so cheaply.

It's literally all he ever does in a Villa shirt these days. I don't care that he's not playing in the same position he does when he's playing for Scotland against the Faroes or Israel, passing to somebody in the same coloured shirt shouldn't be beyond him. Over-rated, get shut in the summer, he very rarely does enough.
Ah, the “literally” argument. Almost on a par with “plan B” as a shite pundit’s reason for a poor display. John Mcginn has scored many goals for Scotland against decent opposition, not just also rans like Israel or the Faroes. He will come good again, as he has done before.

Mcginn was outstanding in the championship, but has been inconsistent in the premier. Lots of really average performances, but then some really excellent performances, Leeds away recently was one, there were a quiet a few last year, Chelsea away springs to mind.
I don’t think the answer at the moment is to get rid of all the decent but inconsistent players, we’ll have hardly anyone left. Some need moving on, but some need to become squad players rather than guaranteed weekly starters. As squad players they’ll either improve with (hopefully) better players, new to the club, around them or they won’t.
Id put McGinn in the squad player category, rather than getting rid.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2022, 09:42:46 PM »
The first Dogheads game was season defining for Smith. Inept collapse.

This one is season defining for Gerard, passively treading water.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2022, 09:43:58 PM »
If Lange's player acquisitions are anything to go by I'm glad he wasn't picking the manager. We'd have ended up with Barry Fry.

I think the point is that in his role he should be and should have a shortlist of candidates already which should be aligned with playing style and recruitment. We don’t want to be going down the Marcel Brands / Everton route.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2022, 09:44:10 PM »
A lot of the problems from last season are still there, mainly:

* that we don’t tend to get anything from a game when the opposition score first.
* we always seem to get punished for our mistakes but rarely seem to punish the opposition for theirs.
* the midfield balance is a problem.

Improved coaching and tactics can help to a certain extent but a major overhaul will be required to get the players to play SG’s system - more than we would have needed to make if we’d have got a manager closer to the style and tactical set up of DS. That being the case, it’s a major leap for the owners to spend a shed load for SG. They either have to go all in and believe in him and what he’s trying to do or they get rid. It can’t be in the middle, otherwise he’ll be out in the future sure enough and we’ll have wasted more time and resources with our better players inevitably leaving.
I think thats what I was trying to say in my first angry post game posts. 

Its a big leap - and to me personally it seems a big risk because its not proven to work.  Backing a Conte is much easier than backing someone who has manager less then 20 games in a top league.

You have to go all in or not, and personally I would want to see more before I went all in.  If he can secure a top half finish, and maybe beat Spurs, Liverpool or Man City then I would have much less reservations.

I think if the club don’t believe in what SG is trying to do by the end of the season they need to change him because the bigger mistake would be to carry on and we end up in the same position in November where we’re on the market again for a new manager. But there’s also politics involved now, because Purslow knows he’ll probably be out if SG’s appointment goes wrong.

If the club believe in what SG is trying to do, they need to back him to the hilt and get him the players he needs (particularly in midfield) to play his system. Otherwise, what’s the point in him being in post, apart from an increased media profile for the club?
Absolutely 100% this. The club chose to go for Gerrard and now they’ve got to back him to the hilt and give him at the very least 3 seasons to build his own team. The alternative is to sack him immediately if they’re not going to back him before we buy “Gerrard” players who’ll be there and surplus to requirements for any new manager. I think that’s the problem now. Gerrard has Smiths players and it’s working well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2022, 10:09:21 PM »

Even "shite pundits " do a small amount of research before going off on a hissy fit like a hysterical teenager, you should try it some time. Far from scoring "many goals" against "decent" opposition, these are his international goals for Scotland (Fifa rankings in brackets):

Russia - 1 (36)
San Marino - 3 (211)
Cyprus - 1 (105)
Kazakhstan - 1 (125)
Austria - 2 (34)
Faroe Islands - 2 (124)
Israel -1 (76)

I make that 3 goals against two half decent (at best) teams in Austria and Russia, and the rest against the whipping boys of European and world football.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2022, 10:12:05 PM »
Kazhakstan are the greatest country in the world, all other countries, are run by little girls.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2022, 10:20:12 PM »
A fair point, well made. Many of the surrounding countries make inferior potassium.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2022, 10:30:49 PM »
When is Marvellous coming back? I suspect when he does SJM will be back to his old self.

He played for the U23s last night.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2022, 10:36:20 PM »
Sounds like it’s been kicking off on a train back to New Street.

The train I was on took two hours to get from Wolverhampton to New St. Not sure if that’s what you’re referring to. We we’re stationary near Smethwick for most of that time. Rumours that someone had had a heart attack and died however all the driver was saying over the PA was that people kept pressing the emergency button so we couldn’t move. It was seriously packed and uncomfortable anyway as there were loads of Liverpool glory hunters onboard before hundreds of Villa fans got on at Wolverhampton. People then started jumping out and walking down the tracks to escape the heat onboard and take their chances on foot. Police were called and boarded the train. More delays, no one knew what was happening. Horrible end to a shit day.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2022, 10:39:56 PM »
Sounds chaotic.

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2022, 10:42:57 PM »
Sounds like it’s been kicking off on a train back to New Street.

The train I was on took two hours to get from Wolverhampton to New St. Not sure if that’s what you’re referring to. We we’re stationary near Smethwick for most of that time. Rumours that someone had had a heart attack and died however all the driver was saying over the PA was that people kept pressing the emergency button so we couldn’t move. It was seriously packed and uncomfortable anyway as there were loads of Liverpool glory hunters onboard before hundreds of Villa fans got on at Wolverhampton. People then started jumping out and walking down the tracks to escape the heat onboard and take their chances on foot. Police were called and boarded the train. More delays, no one knew what was happening. Horrible end to a shit day.
heard the same about pressing the button, know someone who got off and got a taxi back to South Birmingham

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2022, 11:52:04 PM »
We’ve turned Coutinho into a Villa player. That’s not a good thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal