collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 30292 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2022, 07:55:09 PM »
How did Sanson go today?

Offline LeonW

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2022, 08:01:16 PM »
How did Sanson go today?

I thought he played quite well; tidy, some good pressing and offered the most out of our midfield 3. Thought he was unlucky to be subbed.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2022, 08:04:23 PM »
A lot of the problems from last season are still there, mainly:

* that we don’t tend to get anything from a game when the opposition score first.
* we always seem to get punished for our mistakes but rarely seem to punish the opposition for theirs.
* the midfield balance is a problem.

Improved coaching and tactics can help to a certain extent but a major overhaul will be required to get the players to play SG’s system - more than we would have needed to make if we’d have got a manager closer to the style and tactical set up of DS. That being the case, it’s a major leap for the owners to spend a shed load for SG. They either have to go all in and believe in him and what he’s trying to do or they get rid. It can’t be in the middle, otherwise he’ll be out in the future sure enough and we’ll have wasted more time and resources with our better players inevitably leaving.
I think thats what I was trying to say in my first angry post game posts. 

Its a big leap - and to me personally it seems a big risk because its not proven to work.  Backing a Conte is much easier than backing someone who has manager less then 20 games in a top league.

You have to go all in or not, and personally I would want to see more before I went all in.  If he can secure a top half finish, and maybe beat Spurs, Liverpool or Man City then I would have much less reservations. 

Offline Beard82

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2022, 08:05:59 PM »
How did Sanson go today?

I thought he played quite well; tidy, some good pressing and offered the most out of our midfield 3. Thought he was unlucky to be subbed.
thought he was our best midfielder.  McGinn is good that deep - and Ramsey didnt get much of a chance to drive forward, seemed to be covering Young

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2022, 08:12:05 PM »
How did Sanson go today?

thought he was our best midfielder.  McGinn is good that deep - and Ramsey didnt get much of a chance to drive forward, seemed to be covering Young

Sanson got subbed right after cheaply giving the ball away, again…

Offline LeonW

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2022, 08:21:20 PM »

* that we don’t tend to get anything from a game when the opposition score first.
* we always seem to get punished for our mistakes but rarely seem to punish the opposition for theirs.

Improved coaching and tactics can help to a certain extent but a major overhaul will be required to get the players to play SG’s system - more than we would have needed to make if we’d have got a manager closer to the style and tactical set up of DS. That being the case, it’s a major leap for the owners to spend a shed load for SG. They either have to go all in and believe in him and what he’s trying to do or they get rid. It can’t be in the middle, otherwise he’ll be out in the future sure enough and we’ll have wasted more time and resources with our better players inevitably leaving.

Its a big leap - and to me personally it seems a big risk because its not proven to work.  Backing a Conte is much easier than backing someone who has manager less then 20 games in a top league.

You have to go all in or not, and personally I would want to see more before I went all in.  If he can secure a top half finish, and maybe beat Spurs, Liverpool or Man City then I would have much less reservations.

I think if the club don’t believe in what SG is trying to do by the end of the season they need to change him because the bigger mistake would be to carry on and we end up in the same position in November where we’re on the market again for a new manager. But there’s also politics involved now, because Purslow knows he’ll probably be out if SG’s appointment goes wrong.

If the club believe in what SG is trying to do, they need to back him to the hilt and get him the players he needs (particularly in midfield) to play his system. Otherwise, what’s the point in him being in post, apart from an increased media profile for the club?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:23:54 PM by LeonW »

Offline Beard82

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »

I think if the club don’t believe in what SG is trying to do by the end of the season they need to change him because the bigger mistake would be to carry on and we end up in the same position in November where we’re on the market again for a new manager. But there’s also politics involved now, because Purslow knows he’ll probably be out if SG’s appointment goes wrong.

If the club believe in what SG is trying to do, they need to back him to the hilt and get him the players he needs (particularly in midfield) to play his system. Otherwise, what’s the point in him being in post, apart from an increased media profile for the club?
If I was a betting man, I would say they will back him to the hilt - but with signings that "should" work for other managers.  (Whether that transpires into realitiy is another thing).

I think if it doesnt work well see Purslow and SG go. 

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2022, 08:58:18 PM »
They will back him and it will either work out

Offline pelty

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2022, 09:04:36 PM »
How did Sanson go today?

Sanson got subbed right after cheaply giving the ball away, again…

If that was the problem, McGinn should be subbed in the second minute. He gives the ball away so cheaply.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2022, 09:07:04 PM »
Whenever I see Sanson, I think he plays ok, but I've not seen anything extra.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2022, 09:11:38 PM »

If that was the problem, McGinn should be subbed in the second minute. He gives the ball away so cheaply.

It's literally all he ever does in a Villa shirt these days. I don't care that he's not playing in the same position he does when he's playing for Scotland against the Faroes or Israel, passing to somebody in the same coloured shirt shouldn't be beyond him. Over-rated, get shut in the summer, he very rarely does enough.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2022, 09:13:32 PM »

If I was a betting man, I would say they will back him to the hilt - but with signings that "should" work for other managers.  (Whether that transpires into realitiy is another thing).

I think if it doesnt work well see Purslow and SG go.

That would be more in line with the approach I think has previously been followed I.e. recruiting players in a strategic way, with the thought that if the manager left then it wouldn’t require a complete overhaul.

The problem is that the club have recruited a manager who will need a lot more players to successfully play his system and this will require major investment. It may also require writing off loses on players as part of that e.g. Bailey, Traore.

I’ve been of the view that SG’s recruitment as manager was not strategic and did not follow a defined approach-chiefly that it was not based on shortlist drawn up by the DOF. The most pointed comment was that Lange had to be impressed with SG’s pitch and approach. That’s surely the case for any manager, but as information released it also suggests that it was because it wasn’t a candidate that Lange as DOG had drawn up but can now take his share of the blame for if things go wrong. And trying to demonstrate that a strategic approach to recruitment had been followed.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2022, 09:15:06 PM »
If Lange's player acquisitions are anything to go by I'm glad he wasn't picking the manager. We'd have ended up with Barry Fry.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2022, 09:17:55 PM »
As much as I’d hate to see SJM move on , of late he’s certainly not the player I’ve come to love and adore.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2022, 09:25:18 PM »

It's literally all he ever does in a Villa shirt these days. I don't care that he's not playing in the same position he does when he's playing for Scotland against the Faroes or Israel, passing to somebody in the same coloured shirt shouldn't be beyond him. Over-rated, get shut in the summer, he very rarely does enough.
Ah, the “literally” argument. Almost on a par with “plan B” as a shite pundit’s reason for a poor display. John Mcginn has scored many goals for Scotland against decent opposition, not just also rans like Israel or the Faroes. He will come good again, as he has done before.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal