collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:26:13 AM]

Kits 23/24 by ian c.
[Today at 11:20:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:19:14 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by chrisw1
[Today at 11:06:04 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:26:13 AM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:23:06 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by ian c.
[Today at 11:20:31 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:17:11 AM]

[Today at 11:16:52 AM]

Re: FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:15:56 AM]

[Today at 11:14:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 780691 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4425 on: August 17, 2022, 07:27:19 AM »
We didn't go into the season with one free signing. We paid £26m for a highly rated defender who very unluckily got badly injured in his second game. We paid £17m for Countino,  as well as bringing in a left back on loan and made Olsen's move permanent. Lets just see what happens if one or two players move on. 
... and one 'free' signing in Kamara (i.e. we didn't pay the selling club a fee).

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4426 on: August 17, 2022, 08:15:11 AM »
apparently lange was at the blues watford game .  Does he take in games for the hell of it .  if not who would he be watching?
Finalise Hause loan

Offline Beard82

« Reply #4427 on: August 17, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
Neither Sarr nor Deeney played. Joao Pedro might have been watched, young Brazilian striker at Watford. Lot of potential reportedly but not seen enough to have an opinion either way on him.

If we are done, then I can see there being some issues down the line with Gerrard and the board over backing. To essentially go into the season with 1 first team signing on a free transfer is worrying. As I said a few pages back, there either has to be a FFP issue on wages, or we are see the move from the owners to a "more sustainable" model and making up the numbers has become the height of our ambition for the time being, because this squad is 9th-17th, best/ worst case scenario.
Don’t think it is about ambition - but agree that I think SG would have expected more.  I  think we do have a bloated squad and I think it’s the lack of outgoings combined with the lack of being able to attract players significantly better.

Squads good - think it’s down the coaching staff to see us get a top half finish

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #4428 on: August 17, 2022, 08:27:49 AM »
I hear there's this forward called Hogan who scored last week. Must be on a hot streak.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #4429 on: August 17, 2022, 08:31:45 AM »
We are not done yet, absolutely not.
Players moving out is needed.
I still think we have a blockbuster or two under our belts but they are waiting for better offer because 14th placed aston villa with a rookie manager isn't the best prospect or easiest sell to over seas players. Let's face it a lot of them were not even born the last time we were in Europe.

Time will tell but this squad here is 1 or 2 injuries from relegation and the owners will not let that happen

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4430 on: August 17, 2022, 08:32:22 AM »
I think right back might be an issue if Cash picks up an injury (didn't he go off last week towards the end?).

I'm sure Gerrad would like a couple more in but I can't see it being an issue that Ozzjim suggests it might be.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #4431 on: August 17, 2022, 08:55:05 AM »
I dont think we need to question the owners ambitions.  They just dont seem the type to settle for second best

I think there is a believe within the club that for much of the time since we came up we have underachieved.   And I think thats a fair assessment - on paper our squad is pretty strong. 

So I think there is a believe that transfers is not the only way to improve, hence why we have invested heavily in the coaching staff.

They have shown that they are happy to invest in the market at the right times - but I dont think they want to stock pile more of the same, and certainly want to move some players on.

Palace, will be interesting, as its first time we have come up against a club that is also targetting top half.  After that a run of West Ham, Man City and Arsenal will give us a reall good picture of where we are. 

I think there maybe be another defender, and a top midfielder or CF, but I think if we get nothing from Palace and West Ham, then maybe we will go a bit harder

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4432 on: August 17, 2022, 09:02:26 AM »
I don’t doubt the owners ambition, they have been exemplary.
There is no point in filling up the squad with the wrong players, the decisions are still about improving the first team and I do not think that is going to be easy. I would expect that we are operating to a budget which probably means we need to get some wages off the books.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4433 on: August 17, 2022, 09:14:13 AM »
I don’t doubt the owners ambition, they have been exemplary.
There is no point in filling up the squad with the wrong players, the decisions are still about improving the first team and I do not think that is going to be easy. I would expect that we are operating to a budget which probably means we need to get some wages off the books.

And the collapsed secondary market is not helping there.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #4434 on: August 17, 2022, 09:14:35 AM »
Throw stupid money at Palace for Eberechi Eze and be done with it.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4435 on: August 17, 2022, 09:21:15 AM »

Or Olise.

I'm a bit pissed off they ended up with both, I remember seeing both in Championship games and thinking straight away that they were clearly above what was around them like Jack was. Maybe they're both happy to stay in London, who knows?

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #4436 on: August 17, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »

Or Olise.

I'm a bit pissed off they ended up with both, I remember seeing both in Championship games and thinking straight away that they were clearly above what was around them like Jack was. Maybe they're both happy to stay in London, who knows?

I ike what Viera is doing down at Palace, he has got a decent squad down there and I think they will definitely make top ten. He is creating a team cast very much in the same mould he was as a player, big strong athletic type of players that don't get knocked off the ball easy.

With regards to Eze, Viera seems to have changed his position this season from an attacking midfield role to now becoming more of a box to box type of player.

I like him. He is going to be some player this season and this is exactly the type of player that we should be looking at and possibly manage to buy.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #4437 on: August 17, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »
I think there is a believe within the club that for much of the time since we came up we have underachieved.   And I think thats a fair assessment - on paper our squad is pretty strong. 

I just don't think our squad, by premier league-standards, is particularly strong. Now, there are loads of quality footballers in it but the same can be said for our competition. And many clubs have done much more in the window than we have.

We'll see where we are in a couple of weeks but if we don't add 2-3 quality additions I'll be disappointed. If we don't properly kick-on this season, I fear we'll miss the opportunity Covid and the general state of football finances has presented us with.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4438 on: August 17, 2022, 09:45:45 AM »
Without any evidence or rationale for my view but I’m wondering if this is the man Citeh moment all over again.  This time Newcastle.  Add to that Grealish going when he did knocked the stuffing out of us to the degree where the ambitions may have been downgraded.  The squad is not as good as it appears. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4439 on: August 17, 2022, 10:11:43 AM »
Without any evidence or rationale for my view but I’m wondering if this is the man Citeh moment all over again.  This time Newcastle.  Add to that Grealish going when he did knocked the stuffing out of us to the degree where the ambitions may have been downgraded.  The squad is not as good as it appears. 

I think there is probably a degree of truth in that, the only bit I would be not so sure on is the Newcastle part, it's no longer possible to rock up and do what Man City did financially, at least not with the dodginess they used.

Our squad is much better than it used to be, we've improved it, but we don't exist in a vacuum - everyone else has too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal