collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs VAR pre-match thread  (Read 16809 times)

Offline Allan C

Re: Aston Villa vs VAR pre-match thread
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2022, 01:36:36 PM »
This is the biggest game in football for me, I’ve seen some great games down the years. Beating them means more to me than beating Birmingham. 2-0 to us and we’ll play them off the park. As usual I don’t care who scores

Just over 52 years ago. Andy Lochhead and Pat McMahon. Attendance 58,667.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-manchester-united-23-december-1970-29251/
My first Villa-MU game, my dad never stopped talking about it till the day he died.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »
This is the biggest game in football for me, I’ve seen some great games down the years. Beating them means more to me than beating Birmingham. 2-0 to us and we’ll play them off the park. As usual I don’t care who scores

Just over 52 years ago. Andy Lochhead and Pat McMahon. Attendance 58,667.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-manchester-united-23-december-1970-29251/
My first Villa-MU game, my dad never stopped talking about it till the day he died.

God bless your dad.

I can still visualise both of our goals. What a Christmas present that was.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2022, 01:51:17 PM »
Something to do pre-match if you're having a dry January.
https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/january/14/villa-to-unveil-new-champions-of-europe-tribute/
I'm glad they're doing this but surely it should be 12 players not 11?  Rimmer contributed massievly to us winning the European cip and should be honoured too.
He kept us in the entire competition on more than one occasion - the save at 0:1 against Dynamo Berlin from Hans Jurgen Riediger (their leading goalscorer) in front of the Holte was beyond top-drawer.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »
"Aston Villa v VAR" - Funny and depressingly appropriate.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2022, 01:59:41 PM »
You just know there will be something controversial in the game and you know even more it will not be in our favour. As  another poster stated, if we start off on a flyer it will not be long before we get a midfielder / Defender in the book to change the impact of that players game whilst they go about tactical fouling and shithousery

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2022, 02:44:13 PM »
Not to sound too Kevin Keegan but I would love it if we beat these fuckers.

We should be beating them. This is a dreadful Man United team, getting worse by the game. Id definitely start with both Digne and Coutinho, give the team a real boost.
Are they match ready though?
Obviously not

Online john2710

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2022, 02:50:04 PM »
It's time we showed people we mean business & I think it starts tomorrow. Let's get this Man U at Villa Park monkey off our back & do it in style.

No more VAR, dodgy refereeing excuses, let's simply batter them.

I'm confident & I can't wait. It's going to be lively. UTV

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2022, 02:58:40 PM »
Gerrard: “If we can find a similar level of performance, be a little bit more ruthless in the final third and the big calls on the night go in our favour, I’ve got no doubt we can get the result we want.”

Well we can only hope for 2 out of 3 I'm afraid Gerrard.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2022, 03:16:49 PM »
Sounds like we won't be seeing Coutinho start tomorrow.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2022, 03:33:52 PM »
Gerrard on Philippe Coutinho and Lucas Digne: “They are both available and in contention for tomorrow.”

#AVLMUN

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »
Coutinho not match fit, so sounds like it will be:

Ings
          Watkins            Buendia

Ramsey         Luiz            Sanson

Digne      Mings           Konsa          Cash

Martinez

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2022, 03:52:09 PM »
Gerrard on Philippe Coutinho and Lucas Digne: “They are both available and in contention for tomorrow.”

#AVLMUN

He also said that Coutinho is not match fit but  “ At the right time, he’ll be unleashed.”

Suggests on the bench at best.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2022, 03:59:35 PM »
Watkins will start on the left.  Coutinho will come on for Ings at 60 mins and Watkins will move into the middle.

Watkins will score one or two goals and we will fuck these fuckers.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2022, 04:03:02 PM »
Opta stats
Aston Villa are winless in their last 22 home league games against Manchester United (D7 L15) since a 3-1 victory in August 1995. It's the longest winless home run one side has had against another in English Football League history.

Aston Villa are looking to win consecutive league games against Man Utd for the first time since November 1976, while they last did the league double over the Red Devils in 1954-55.

Manchester United have scored the opening goal in 33 Premier League games against Aston Villa, winning 32 and drawing one of those matches. It's the most a team has opened the scoring without losing against a side in the competition's history.

Manchester United have won 299 Premier League away games, and would be the first side to reach 300 in the competition with victory here. No side has won more Premier League games (37) or away games (17) in the competition's history than the Red Devils have against Aston Villa.

None of Aston Villa's last 16 Premier League games have ended level (W6 L10), with the Villans last having a longer run without a league draw between September 1964 and April 1965 (29 games).

Dean Smith was manager of Aston Villa for their 1-0 win earlier this season over Man Utd, while Steven Gerrard will take charge of this game. Should the Villans win, they will be the first team to complete a league double over Manchester United with a different manager in charge for each game since Bolton Wanderers in 1950-51 (Walter Rowley and Bill Ridding).

As a player, Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard ended on the winning side in 10 Premier League games against Man Utd, a joint-record along with Nicolas Anelka, John Terry and Petr Cech. However, including caretakers, only one of the last 18 managers has won their first Premier League match against the Red Devils, with Mikel Arteta winning with Arsenal in January 2020.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2022, 04:09:40 PM »
No quotes as to why he let El Ghazi go, none of the journos even brought it up. They don't give a fcuk unless it's headline-worthy stuff, I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal