collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 12:15:02 PM]

Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 12:11:24 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 12:09:55 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 12:03:48 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Mister E
[Today at 11:54:13 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 12:15:02 PM]

Re: Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 12:11:24 PM]

Re: Fog stopped play by brian green
[Today at 12:10:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 12:09:55 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 12:03:48 PM]

Re: Fog stopped play by mamuu
[Today at 12:02:11 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 12:02:04 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1 v Moss Side 2 Post Match Thread.  (Read 24932 times)

Offline edgysatsuma89

Re: Aston Villa 1 v Moss Side 2 Post Match Thread.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2021, 10:52:42 PM »
I was expecting the worst 2nd half but fair play, whilst not making their keeper work enough we actually had them sort of pegged in a bit which I wasn't expecting. I can see we are playing better overall.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2021, 10:53:22 PM »
At HT I said there'd be a big difference between a 4 or 5-0 capitulation or a 2-1 (win the second half) defeat. Glad it was the latter and sounds like there were plenty of positives in there. The circus around Jack's return is over, other results weren't bad for us so on to Saturday and hopefully 3 points.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2021, 10:54:19 PM »
Thought we were game out there, obv they were way better first half but we never gave up & chased everything rather than waving the white flag. 

As others have said Douglas was excellent & the cameo from Sanson was encouraging.  Gerrard is certainly looking at the options in the middle. 

That was the best seen Watkins work and play in a while, hopefully that is sign of things to come.

The fannying around at the back is a worry - Emi, Konsa and Mings aren’t good enough on the ball to play like that against a side playing such a high press.

Was it a penalty? I didn’t think so but sure as hell know it would have been given if other way round, particularly knowing that VAR was Friend it was never going to be given.

Thought Dean actually had a good game, let a few things go and it wasn’t the usual all about him performance.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2021, 10:57:37 PM »
Really encouraging second half. Nakamba and Samson caught the eye, which I'm chuffed about.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2021, 10:59:04 PM »
Great second half. I really feared a hiding at half time. Excellent first goal by Watkins and we created the big chance for the equaliser but unfortunately Chucky couldn't convert. I was totally against his appointment but I must say Gerrard got some tune out of our players in the second half against arguably the best team in Europe. Do think we need to lay off the long throws and deep free kicks. Don't think any of them remotely worked.

Martinez 7 - maybe a bit harsh blaming him for first with Targett ducking out of way 5 or 6 yards ahead of him
Cash 7 - gave his all up against Sterling.
Konsa 7 - solid as per usual
Mings 6 - very poor positioning for second goal, did well apart from that
Targett 5 - tried hard but less said about his effort to block first the better
Nakamba 7 - very solid performance from a guy I don't rate much
McGinn 5 - lost in general midfield play but good crosses and moments around their box, has to move further forward now with Bailey out
Luiz 9 - our best player by a long way in both halves. Excellent assist too, good deliveries all night and spiky in tackle
Bailey 3 - unfortunate injury but rubbish in time he was on, appalling effort to block first goal
Watkins 7 - quality goal, tough night at times but kept going
Buendia 5 - lost for about 70 mins but finished very strongly including the brilliant ball to Chucky for our chance

Young 7 - very good again when coming in
Chucky 5 - pace of game was too much for him but could have become a hero with the goal chance
Sanson 7 - this lad is a player, will be starting for us soon I think

Thought it somewhat sad that Pep only saw fit to give our former talisman 5 mins tonight at a time that City were under pressure. Thought he stood out even at that. Just another player for them.

Harsh on McGinn IMO and Luiz improvement in the 2nd half was like night and day from the 1st half when he was anonymous.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2021, 11:02:14 PM »
Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard speaking to BBC Sport:

"The performance second half was really good. It maybe deserved that we take something from the game. We lacked a bit of belief at the start of the first half. That is a combination of them having top players and manager. We got a foothold and then conceded. The second goal we could have stopped the game higher up the pitch. The reaction I got, I can't ask for more. I think the fans appreciated that. We have come so closer to getting something from the game.

"We are playing against a team that have just been to the European Cup final, have world class players and possibly the best manager in the world. We appreciate what we are up against. But to take them to the end that is a real positive. I can't ask for ore effort.

"We scored a fantastic goal from a set play. Ollie was unplayable at times. Young kid comes on and his big moment comes. Keeper makes a save but he will learn from that. We also has real decent shout for a penalty. I don't understand why the referee didn't look at the screen."

On Leon Bailey: "He was starting to look a real threat in training. We will analyse his injury in the coming days. It looks like he will miss at least a couple of games."

Article Reactions
Like3 likes3Dislike

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2021, 11:02:57 PM »
First half was the usual give them too much respect type half.

Much much better second half. Must take that into Sunday and I think we'll get something off Leicester.

Wouldn't surprise me if Chuck got a start as midfield didn't really work tonight although of course up against world class opposition.

Did Man. City sign Bernardo Silva for that much more than Buendia? That's the type of classy playmaker who'd make huge difference in our team as unrealistic as it is to expect to sign him.

Offline LamBeast

• GM : Apr, 2013
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2021, 11:12:26 PM »
We got belted first half,we are a decent side,thankfully.UTV

richtheholtender

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2021, 11:15:40 PM »
Just back and although we were much better second half I still think fitness and being a good number of years away in terms of quality told. The most pleasing thing for me tonight was listening to Gerrard after the game and he clearly knows what the weaknesses are of the team. The fitness of the m all is very poor in general, even matty cash was blowing after 2 lengths of the pitch!! Once he gets them up to speed we can start to look to improve. I just don't know if we can get to the level we want and i hate feeling that way.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:38 PM »
Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard speaking to BBC Sport:

"The performance second half was really good. It maybe deserved that we take something from the game. We lacked a bit of belief at the start of the first half. That is a combination of them having top players and manager. We got a foothold and then conceded. The second goal we could have stopped the game higher up the pitch. The reaction I got, I can't ask for more. I think the fans appreciated that. We have come so closer to getting something from the game.

"We are playing against a team that have just been to the European Cup final, have world class players and possibly the best manager in the world. We appreciate what we are up against. But to take them to the end that is a real positive. I can't ask for ore effort.

"We scored a fantastic goal from a set play. Ollie was unplayable at times. Young kid comes on and his big moment comes. Keeper makes a save but he will learn from that. We also has real decent shout for a penalty. I don't understand why the referee didn't look at the screen."

On Leon Bailey: "He was starting to look a real threat in training. We will analyse his injury in the coming days. It looks like he will miss at least a couple of games."

Article Reactions
Like3 likes3Dislike

I'm glad to see the manager highlighting decisions. It doesn't matter to me how much of a penalty it was or wasn't; it's about putting the refs under pressure when they officiate our games so that they know they'll be under the media spotlight if they get it wrong. That's definitely something Gerrard's standing and media presence in the game will give us. Especially if it gets his mate Carragher talking about it. When O'Neill took over as manager we started getting way more decisions go for us than before.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:48 PM »
Great second half. I really feared a hiding at half time. Excellent first goal by Watkins and we created the big chance for the equaliser but unfortunately Chucky couldn't convert. I was totally against his appointment but I must say Gerrard got some tune out of our players in the second half against arguably the best team in Europe. Do think we need to lay off the long throws and deep free kicks. Don't think any of them remotely worked.

Martinez 7 - maybe a bit harsh blaming him for first with Targett ducking out of way 5 or 6 yards ahead of him
Cash 7 - gave his all up against Sterling.
Konsa 7 - solid as per usual
Mings 6 - very poor positioning for second goal, did well apart from that
Targett 5 - tried hard but less said about his effort to block first the better
Nakamba 7 - very solid performance from a guy I don't rate much
McGinn 5 - lost in general midfield play but good crosses and moments around their box, has to move further forward now with Bailey out
Luiz 9 - our best player by a long way in both halves. Excellent assist too, good deliveries all night and spiky in tackle
Bailey 3 - unfortunate injury but rubbish in time he was on, appalling effort to block first goal
Watkins 7 - quality goal, tough night at times but kept going
Buendia 5 - lost for about 70 mins but finished very strongly including the brilliant ball to Chucky for our chance

Young 7 - very good again when coming in
Chucky 5 - pace of game was too much for him but could have become a hero with the goal chance
Sanson 7 - this lad is a player, will be starting for us soon I think

Thought it somewhat sad that Pep only saw fit to give our former talisman 5 mins tonight at a time that City were under pressure. Thought he stood out even at that. Just another player for them.
This must be a first. I agree fully with Brontebilly. I think he must be mellowing.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2021, 11:18:31 PM »
Marv was great tonight.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2021, 11:20:38 PM »
Good to see the future King watching us.

Offline murgsy

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2021, 11:21:54 PM »
Great second half. We showed up and could have easily drawn the game.
Ollie was superb. Buendia is baffling. He actually worked hard and showed good glimpses of both vision and skill. Is it just confidence? Nakamba seemed much better at passing tonight. Bailey looked terrible before the he injury. Almost playing with 10 men. Bold changes by Gerrard. UTV

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2021, 11:24:15 PM »
I was encouraged by that second half and a draw wouldn't have been totally undeserved. We had them rattled at times and pressed much better. That first half was so frustrating given how we improved after the break. They didn't create much in the second half when Luiz was outstanding.

I thought we were better without Bailey although sorry for him he got injured and I think Ashley Young did well again.

Contrary to some views..I think more people were applauding Grealish or not booing than those who were booing; certainly around where I was.

The term 'classy' is overused nowadays, but people booing one of our best ever players didn't really show much class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal