collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation  (Read 71053 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation
« Reply #435 on: November 24, 2021, 07:08:13 PM »
Thanks Dean if the rumours are true about you wanting to buy Davis off us for £4m.
fixed.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #436 on: November 24, 2021, 07:11:57 PM »
I just don't see how anyone can have a definitive opinion on his ability (his fitness isn't a matter of opinion, he's been made of glass for the last 3-4 years).

6 goals and 7 assists in 86 appearances, on the surface, looks terrible but the amount of those games where he was on the pitch for less than 15 minutes is huge. in terms of mniutes he has a goal or assist about every 2 1/2 games. What's impossible to say, because of his injury problems, is whether the goals/assists per game or per minutes is the more accurate stat.

He has no future at Villa really, Watkins and Ings are miles ahead, Archer should be in front of him now and I suspect Caleb Chuk will as well before long and then we have Barry and Young who will come into things before long. That's why I can see him in the championship next year and, if that happens and the move helps him get over the injuries I can see him having a big impact in that league.

1 Premier League goal
3 goals against League 1 sides in various cups
1 cup goal against a League 2 side
2 in the Championship

However you dress it up, that's woeful.

I'm with Risso.

Clear evidence he's not good enough and absolutely nothing in the opposite direction.

He also has some sort of mega-allergy that means his bones start crumbling whenever he's in the BMH postcode.

Wish him the absolute best of luck, but there's just no evidence he's going to make it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #437 on: November 24, 2021, 07:22:29 PM »
I'll reiterate, if he belonged to another club with that career and injury record and he was linked with us to be a PL striker, we'd be horrified. In fact, I would argue fans of most Championship clubs would be also.

What is your point though? No one is saying he should be playing for us or that he'd be a good option for a team in the top half of the premier league. We're saying his record is misleading and if he can get, and stay, fit he'd be good in the championship.

Well he was crap in the Championship for us.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #438 on: November 24, 2021, 07:30:25 PM »

that's what Davis may be remembered most for

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #439 on: November 24, 2021, 07:32:06 PM »
Talksport levels of debate from Risso there.

It's a shame as I think he's capable of more, maybe injuries sustained falling through his own ceiling have taken their toll.

He's got three league goals in 4 years, and the rest (such as they are) against lower league shite in cups. He's a Chorley FM level striker, abysmal. I can't believe there's even a discussion to be had.

I'm laughing my balls off. Davis is fucking gash. He's a Championship level player at absolute best. And that's being kind. Let's put it like this. If we were linked with him in January we'd be horrified. He is our modern version of Jordan Bowery.

Davis has his faults, goal scoring primarily, but he has had good games for us. Nowhere near as bad as Bowery, Helenius or any of those jokers.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #440 on: November 24, 2021, 07:42:25 PM »

It's a shame as I think he's capable of more, maybe injuries sustained falling through his own ceiling have taken their toll.

He's got three league goals in 4 years, and the rest (such as they are) against lower league shite in cups. He's a Chorley FM level striker, abysmal. I can't believe there's even a discussion to be had.

I'm laughing my balls off. Davis is fucking gash. He's a Championship level player at absolute best. And that's being kind. Let's put it like this. If we were linked with him in January we'd be horrified. He is our modern version of Jordan Bowery.

Davis has his faults, goal scoring primarily, but he has had good games for us. Nowhere near as bad as Bowery, Helenius or any of those jokers.
I'm hoping the guy has a run of decent fitness and manages to do what he wants to do and thats playing professional football.
I've got sympathy for him. A catalogue of injurious nightmares!

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2021, 07:42:46 PM »
I have nothing against Davis but he's fucking shite and that is not going to change. He may leave.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2021, 08:04:38 PM »
I have nothing against Davis but he's fucking shite and that is not going to change. He may leave.

He's got something about him but is never fit enough for long enough to show it much.

Offline colin69

« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2021, 08:12:32 PM »
Davis is much better than a lot on here make out. Unfortunately his fitness (or lack of it) is ruining his career.
I don’t think he’s got a future with us unless by some miracle he can stay fit so a move to the championship may be the best thing for both sides.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:12 PM »
Davis is much better than a lot on here make out. Unfortunately his fitness (or lack of it) is ruining his career.
I don’t think he’s got a future with us unless by some miracle he can stay fit so a move to the championship may be the best thing for both sides.
So, to recap, he's no fucking use.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2021, 09:13:14 PM »

that's what Davis may be remembered most for

Still think this was one of the best saves I've seen at Villa Park.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #446 on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:18 AM »

I think the debate seems to be polarised between people who think he's rubbish, and people who don't think he's good enough for us, but at the same time believe he's "not entirely rubbish".  I don't believe anyone is saying he should be getting a run of games for us? I think we've moved way past that level now as a club (thankfully).

However, if league goals is the only real objective measure of a striker, then you'll be calling for Louie Barry to be given a free transfer in January, given he's spent this season in lowly League One and yet still hasn't scored a single league goal?  I'm being facetious, clearly, just pointing out you can't score goals if you don't play - and Davis hasn't played regularly for us since he was 19 and Steve Bruce was manager.

EDIT: for the record, I hope he moves on and does well wherever he goes. I always have a soft spot for young players that don't quite make it with us, as opposed to established pros that we jettison or ask to leave.

My POV is simple....why have we never loaned him out?

Surely that's the best way of gauging decent level for him rather than have him endlessly sitting on the bench. He barely figured at all in 2018/19 so could've potentially loaned him out then and again start of 2019 season when Wesley and Kodj were the two senior strikers (given we went into last season with just Ollie really that would've been logical time).

Stoke were very keen in August apparently and given they're having a good season he could've done well there even if he wasn't starting every game, Preston another who showed interested during last season.

It's an odd way of doing things. I mean Archer went out on loan to non league last season and has come back a much better striker so while loans don't work for every striker generally it pushes you on more than just bench warming year in year out.

Edit: What's intriguing is apparently he was desperate to go out on loan in the summer so at least he wants to get out and play but DS obviously had his reasons for keeping him around.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #447 on: November 25, 2021, 12:53:09 AM »
He was injured.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #448 on: November 25, 2021, 03:33:01 AM »
I'll reiterate, if he belonged to another club with that career and injury record and he was linked with us to be a PL striker, we'd be horrified. In fact, I would argue fans of most Championship clubs would be also.

What is your point though? No one is saying he should be playing for us or that he'd be a good option for a team in the top half of the premier league. We're saying his record is misleading and if he can get, and stay, fit he'd be good in the championship.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/davis-vows-repay-aston-villa-boss-smiths-faith
This what Dean said about him in in late summer, 2019:

Keinan Davis has vowed to repay the belief shown in him by Dean Smith after the Aston Villa manager compared the striker with the late Cyrille Regis.

Given a rare start, Davis scored his first goal for almost 20 months, and only his fourth in 46 appearances, in Villa’s 6-1 Carabao Cup second-round rout of League Two Crewe at Gresty Road on Tuesday night.

The performance of the 21-year-old delighted Smith, who said: “Keinan is a handful. I don’t think there are too many centre-halves in any league who would want to play against him.

“He is physical, strong, and I was really pleased he got his goal. At times, that’s the only thing that’s missing from his appearances.”

Comparing Davis to former England and West Brom striker Regis, Smith added: “He is a throw-back centre-forward, a bit like a Cyrille Regis, from those days – God bless Cyril.

“But Keinan’s performance was excellent. He made the ball stick in and around him, brought others into play really well, and then got on the end of a few crosses as well.”

With Smith only signing one striker over the summer in £22million Wesley from Club Brugge, he has promised Davis game time this season which is why he opted not to go out on loan.

Davis said: “In the transfer window he (Smith) told me he wanted me to stay, which gave me massive confidence, and now I’m trying to repay him with my performances.

“At the start (of pre-season) I thought about going out on loan, that maybe I wouldn’t play as much because I wanted to get as many games as I could.

“But he kept on reassuring me, telling me ‘Stay and you’ll play’. I had to trust him. He reassured me so it was all good in the end. “He’s given me an opportunity, now I have to prove myself to him.”

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #449 on: November 25, 2021, 07:00:35 AM »
Davis is a decent player. But he's only showed that fleetingly, and is nowhere near the level we need him. To reach that level he needs to start 150 games somewhere and improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal