collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation  (Read 71087 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation
« Reply #420 on: November 24, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »
The problem is we've been repeatedly dissapointed by him.  Every time you think 'this is his chance' he gets injured again.  He's never been able to stay fit long enough to build up any consistency or momentum.  He had an incredible opportunity to stake a claim when we've been relying on 1 striker for 3 seasons, but just wasn't able to take it.  He looks like he could be a decent player to me, but any club spending a penny on him are just gambling on him doing what he hasn't been able to do for us or a number of years - stay fit.  £5m is just pie in the sky.

I'd be amazed if Norwich signed him and if they do it surely wont be on anything more than a loan or pay as you play contract.  But I wish him well and hope he can get some gametime somewhere and grow out of his vicious injury circle.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
Talksport levels of debate from Risso there.

It's a shame as I think he's capable of more, maybe injuries sustained falling through his own ceiling have taken their toll.

He's got three league goals in 4 years, and the rest (such as they are) against lower league shite in cups. He's a Chorley FM level striker, abysmal. I can't believe there's even a discussion to be had.
There clearly is, even Gerrard must have seen something in his first week in training to include him on his first bench.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
His best chance was the first season back up, Wes was struggling and he started against the Dogheads in the cup, lasted 20 mins before pulling a muscle and was out for months.

Offline DennisHodgetts

« Reply #423 on: November 24, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »
I can't see this happening. Hourihane perhaps and possibly a couple of the kids on loans Chuck and Archer would make more sense to me.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2021, 03:27:03 PM »

It's a shame as I think he's capable of more, maybe injuries sustained falling through his own ceiling have taken their toll.

He's got three league goals in 4 years, and the rest (such as they are) against lower league shite in cups. He's a Chorley FM level striker, abysmal. I can't believe there's even a discussion to be had.

I'm laughing my balls off. Davis is fucking gash. He's a Championship level player at absolute best. And that's being kind. Let's put it like this. If we were linked with him in January we'd be horrified. He is our modern version of Jordan Bowery.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #425 on: November 24, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »

I'm laughing my balls off. Davis is fucking gash. He's a Championship level player at absolute best. And that's being kind. Let's put it like this. If we were linked with him in January we'd be horrified. He is our modern version of Jordan Bowery.

I don't know what's so funny, as Smithy pointed out on the previous page, none of us that believe he has some ability think he's likely to get into our line up for several reasons, it's just that he's not as hopeless as is made out and the stats don't tell the whole story.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #426 on: November 24, 2021, 03:53:48 PM »
Yes but the 'critical' posts are from people who use hyperbole like it's going out of fashion.

He's unlikely to make it with us, and if it weren't for his injury record he may have had an impact. He's clearly not 'shit', but he's obviously not the best in the world either.

He's a completely different sort of player than we have elsewhere.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #427 on: November 24, 2021, 03:58:09 PM »
I'll reiterate, if he belonged to another club with that career and injury record and he was linked with us to be a PL striker, we'd be horrified. In fact, I would argue fans of most Championship clubs would be also.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #428 on: November 24, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »
Imagine if this was on VT now.  STAY ON TOPIC go to the DAVIS thread bing bong.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #429 on: November 24, 2021, 04:25:26 PM »
Like Smithy, Drummond and LeeB, I like him and think he has something to offer. A move to Norwich would be a good one, but I wouldn't be unhappy for him to stay.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #430 on: November 24, 2021, 04:27:15 PM »

Imagine if this was on VT now.  STAY ON TOPIC go to the DAVIS thread bing bong.

FTFY

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #431 on: November 24, 2021, 05:07:46 PM »
I'll reiterate, if he belonged to another club with that career and injury record and he was linked with us to be a PL striker, we'd be horrified. In fact, I would argue fans of most Championship clubs would be also.

I'd feel similar about El Ghazi, Hause and probably one or two other fringe players too tbh but happy enough that we have them in the squad for where we are now.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #432 on: November 24, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
He's not shite; nor does he have a future with us.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #433 on: November 24, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »
Add me to that list of those who like him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #434 on: November 24, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »

What is your point though? No one is saying he should be playing for us or that he'd be a good option for a team in the top half of the premier league. We're saying his record is misleading and if he can get, and stay, fit he'd be good in the championship.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal