collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109260 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1320 on: May 18, 2021, 03:23:36 PM »
Is this the new "other clubs' transfer thread?"

What does Arry' Kane, Levy, Brendan Rogers, Leicester and Potter have to do with our summer transfers?

Any other complaints?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1321 on: May 18, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »
This is the level we're at, with Jack especially. Who goes where and for what money can knock-on with us.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1322 on: May 18, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »
I can see Rodgers at Spurs or Arsenal but certainly not now. After next season is certainly a possibility. Fuck, if he's available and Deano isn't cutting it next year we should be in for him.

I see him as a 99 type of guy. Likes to chew on his own Flake and licks feverishly around the edges to stop his sauce from dripping on to his suit.

I think he's a bit of a bellend but I'd have Rodgers, he knows how to coach a team and improve players, he made Scott Sinclair look  like Theirry Henry at one point.

I was however reading a very funny thread this morning on reddit regarding his habit of bullshitting whilst at Celtic, fairly trivial things but so much so that you'd wonder why you would do that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1323 on: May 18, 2021, 04:29:36 PM »
Levy's reputation seems almost entirely based on him squeezing Real Madrid when they signed Bale. Take that single deal away and his transfer record isn't all that special and in reality they've missed out on a number of players than might have made the difference to them winning a trophy because he was playing hard ball and clubs called his bluff.

Depends what prism you judge it on really.

Read the other day Spurs haven't finished below the top 6 since 2009, checked it....and it's true. They could still finish 6th this season if they beat us and West Ham lose.

We were miles clear of Spurs in the 90s and they were up and down aswell in the 2000s so I'd say that's a pretty impressive level of consistancy from them considering they haven't been spending huge amounts compared to others they've been trying to finish above since that time. And of course we had the tedious arguments about them having a cheaper wage bill than us in the 08-10 period when we were seriously giving it a go under Lerner.

How have they done it as we'd all settled for that sort of consistancy in next 10 years under NSWE. Top 6 for three years running under MON was exciting enough even if cracks were appearing below the surface.

Now they're on the way down and I think we've got a good chance of finishing above them next season. However last time it happened after selling Bale and they had a poor following season (ending with Sherwood in charge) they made probably one of the best managerial appoimtments in last 10 years so again that's something I'd like to see from our owners whenever the time comes in the future as we should be seen as attractive option.

I don't disagree with any of that but the point is that given their elevated status, commercial and geographical advantages and a series of decent managers they've stood still and that's in no small part because of some poor decision making by Levy which let them down in key transfer windows.

They just reached their limit. I doubt any Spurs fans realistically thought they'd be reaching CL final regularly so like us in 1982 the other year would be as good as it got for a long long time.

They did though make the CL 4 seasons out of 5 and a bit years under Poch so that wasn't generally a bad period even if they obviously haven't won anything. Not too bad when they weren't spending 50m on fullbacks like their rivals (were finishing above some of those teams in those seasons aswell)

I think we'd all sign up for consistancy like that at some point over next twenty years and really NSWE era would be viewed big success.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1324 on: May 18, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »

What does Arry' Kane, Levy, Brendan Rogers, Leicester and Potter have to do with our summer transfers?

Totally agree. I mentioned earlier Pereira signing for Villa would be a good signing. Thread is off-track

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1325 on: May 18, 2021, 07:07:17 PM »

There's every chance that other clubs' transfer dealings and managerial appointments will impact on players we buy and sell, I'd have thought.

Still, if we are desperate to only allow discussion about who Villa might sign during the next transfer window then I'm struggling to see why you felt the urge to shoehorn Danny sodding Drinkwater into the thread.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1326 on: May 18, 2021, 07:20:44 PM »

Totally agree. I mentioned earlier Pereira signing for Villa would be a good signing. Thread is off-track

I would definitely agree with that. He's far too good to be getting relegated with Albion.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1327 on: May 18, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
Relegated players from West fucking Brom? Is Doug Ellis in charge again?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1328 on: May 18, 2021, 07:31:55 PM »
I'd like us to be able to move the likes of McGinn and Luiz further forward by buying at least one proper ball winning defensive central midfielder so that we can rotate the likes of Jack, Sanson, SJM and Luiz in the number 10 role.  I think we'd get more out of both SJM and Douglas with playing them further forward. We probably need two of them but I would have one eye on young Chuck and wouldn't want to block his progress, although get there first and then let him take his chances with even better players around him?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1329 on: May 18, 2021, 07:52:46 PM »
Pereira is not a bad player at all. Where he comes from doesnt bother me in the slightest. They would want a fortune though.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1330 on: May 18, 2021, 08:01:56 PM »
Pereira is not a bad player at all. Where he comes from doesnt bother me in the slightest. They would want a fortune though.

I’d have thought £25-30m range. Which isn’t unrealistic. I do wonder if he has some sort of clause in his contract that gets him out for a more reasonable fee.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1331 on: May 18, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »

I would definitely agree with that. He's far too good to be getting relegated with Albion.
Me too. If we’d have been relegated last season on that basis nobody would have wanted to sign Jack.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #1332 on: May 18, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »
Pereira is the reason the Bitters weren't relegated in March. To quote Paul Calf, inside every bag of shite there's a spark of gold.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1333 on: May 18, 2021, 10:10:44 PM »
Pereira is the reason the Bitters weren't relegated in March. To quote Paul Calf, inside every bag of shite there's a spark of gold.

It's probably just the wrapper from a Caramac, but it's there.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1334 on: May 18, 2021, 10:21:49 PM »
Is he that good? I’ve only seen him against us, tend not to watch the stripey filth otherwise .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal