collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:38:03 PM]

Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:23:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1124104 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1350 on: May 19, 2021, 07:38:30 AM »
Pereira is quality. Much like Buendia last season, he has shown enough to think he will get stronger with better players around him. Think he makes a lot of sense, can play wide and at 10. A striker too, a cheapish fast winger and a big hard bloke with good feet in the midfield too please.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1351 on: May 19, 2021, 07:50:00 AM »
From today’s Press Conference.  Interesting.

Smith has spent £260 million on transfers in his two Premier League campaigns, and said ahead of this summer: "I don't believe we have to do that much in the market this summer. With Jack coming out of the team we have lacked a little bit of creativity and that is something that we need to improve on.

yeah i'm not hopeful we're going to be spending a fortune this summer. Most of the squad are Smith's signings anyway so apart from replacing some of his dud's, and replacements for the old men, he can't really bring in half a team
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:54:28 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline Mouse Potato

« Reply #1352 on: May 19, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
The simple fact is that we have to improve 4 or 5 of the first team in order to compete at the higher end of the league.  The owners have stated that is the target so how do they think it will happen, without spending money?  Unless they are content with mid-table, I'm pretty sure that money will be spent.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1353 on: May 19, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »
Aston Villa have made contact with representatives of Bordeaux's Mehdi Zerkane, 21, having followed the Algeria winger closely for a number of months. (L'Equipe)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1354 on: May 19, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »
The simple fact is that we have to improve 4 or 5 of the first team in order to compete at the higher end of the league.  The owners have stated that is the target so how do they think it will happen, without spending money?  Unless they are content with mid-table, I'm pretty sure that money will be spent.
Depends on how much we're able to spend, though.  We're at a stage now where you're looking at £30m+ for improving the first team players, more in some position.

That's really the problem we're looking at - to progress, we're going to have to spend exponentially more per player.  If we bring in 4 or 5 new players every year, we're going to end up with a squad full of £20m players.  Which is fine, but we already pretty much have that -- we're not going to move forward.  Probably half the reason MON had a ceiling - he kept trying to spread money around bringing in too many players, and ended up with a perpetual circle of like-for-like replacements.

For me, we have a decent, mid-table squad now.  We need to start looking at what players we need to break in to the top 4/top 6, which is going to either be buying £40m+ players, or getting 21/22 year olds and slowly integrating them with the first team.  I think I'd go for a bit of both -- spend big on a Barkley replacement, which is a more urgent need since we're crippled creatively without Jack.  Then look towards youngsters to bolster out the defensive backups since we'll definitely lose Taylor & Elmo in the summer, and potentially Engels and Guilbert.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1355 on: May 19, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »
Pereira only turned up for the last few weeks of the season, when it was too late. Prior to that he’d spent most of the season sulking, doing fuck all on the pitch and not always getting in the starting 11 of a shit Albion team. Sounds a bit like another CNZ.

He admittedly played very well against us at VP so lots of Villa fans now want to sign him. I’d much rather we looked elsewhere.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1356 on: May 19, 2021, 09:39:11 AM »
Pereira only turned up for the last few weeks of the season, when it was too late. Prior to that he’d spent most of the season sulking, doing fuck all on the pitch and not always getting in the starting 11 of a shit Albion team. Sounds a bit like another CNZ.

He admittedly played very well against us at VP so lots of Villa fans now want to sign him. I’d much rather we looked elsewhere.

A little bit simplistic to suggest Villa fans only think he would be a good signing because he played well in one game against us.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1357 on: May 19, 2021, 09:55:38 AM »

A little bit simplistic to suggest Villa fans only think he would be a good signing because he played well in one game against us.

I disagree, no one on here had suggested him as a possible signing before that game now his name comes up every few days.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1358 on: May 19, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »

Smith has spent £260 million on transfers in his two Premier League campaigns, and said ahead of this summer: "I don't believe we have to do that much in the market this summer. With Jack coming out of the team we have lacked a little bit of creativity and that is something that we need to improve on.

yeah i'm not hopeful we're going to be spending a fortune this summer. Most of the squad are Smith's signings anyway so apart from replacing some of his dud's, and replacements for the old men, he can't really bring in half a team

Even going by Dean's comments, I can't imagine that doesn't include a player to step up when Jack's not on it, a replacement to cover for Trez and a replacement for Bakley.  That's three signings effectively to stay the same.

Add to that a dominating central midfielder and I'd be quite happy. I'd happier still with an extra forward and some cover at fullback, but those are squad positions rather than replacements for the current first 11, and I also don't see us signing 7 players.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1359 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »
I could live with 3 if that's a dominant centre mid, a player who can play upfront and out wide and a young left back who can come in to compete with Targett over the next year or 2. If only the people we know are leaving go out then that would be enough to add depth to the squad in key areas. It's all about the quality though. Those first 2 need to be the very best players we can attract to the club in those positions, no half-measures.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1360 on: May 19, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »

Let’s be honest if we’re planning to take the step forward we need to match Jack’s ambitions we’re going to need to make some moves in the market.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1361 on: May 19, 2021, 10:21:57 AM »

I disagree, no one on here had suggested him as a possible signing before that game now his name comes up every few days.

Apart from two people on the same day this thread was started.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1362 on: May 19, 2021, 10:23:39 AM »

Ok, let me be more specific. SOME Villa fans. Is that ok now?

You only have to look at the number of posts on here and Twitter about him, since we played them.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1363 on: May 19, 2021, 10:28:52 AM »

Ok, let me be more specific. SOME Villa fans. Is that ok now?

Thats better, although it's still not true as he was suggested before we even played the return game against them. He's not that bad a player really. We could do better, but he's not to be sniffed at.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1364 on: May 19, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »
Norwich already planning for life back in the Championship.

Their Sporting Director has said that Buendia and Aarons are available for the right price.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal