collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528594 times)

Offline Pat Mustard

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #1650 on: November 17, 2022, 07:50:05 AM »
HS2 will be up and running by then which will surely make Villa Park an absolute shoe in to be chosen.

All academic though as UEFA won’t give us the tournament after the fan problems in the Euros last year.

We're pretty much guaranteed it from what I understand.  There are no other confirmed bidders as yet, and it was a stitch up to give us this in return for UEFA backing Portugal/Spain for the 2030 World Cup bid.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1651 on: November 17, 2022, 09:17:03 AM »
West ham, old trafford, Sunderland and the smaller dublin one would be my guess.

From an Irish perspective, I would say Casement Park then Croke Park are more likely to be cut than the Aviva.
I would have thought that if there was any chance that England could play there (maybe in a semi final) then Croke Park would be a non starter?

I'd imagine that the draw would be set up so that England play at Wembley from the QF stage onwards if they progress.

Unless Wembley hosts at least three of the four Quarter-Finals, and both Semi-Finals, it's impossible to do that in 24 team tournament. You can arrange for England to stay at Wembley if they win their group but not if they finish second or as one of the best third place teams.
Correct, which makes Croke park untenable I feel. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1652 on: November 17, 2022, 09:28:28 AM »
All academic though as UEFA won’t give us the tournament after the fan problems in the Euros last year.

It's between this bid and Turkey, and Turkey always bid and get rejected. Britain and Ireland will be hosting.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #1653 on: November 17, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »
The shame about the Aviva is the tiny section behind one of the goals. Like the dip in tiers at Brighton's Amex stadium, makes it look a bit tinpot. Impressive structure from the outside though.

I think a capacity of 52,500 is about right given the size of Ireland and soccer and rugby not being the main sports here. I believe the dip at one end was required so as not to block the light on local (and presumably very expensive) houses. Does look a bit tinpot inside and on TV, but gives it a nice flowing design on the outside and stops it becoming just another oval stadium.
What’s the hierarchy of sports in terms of popularity over there?

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #1654 on: November 17, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »
HS2 will be up and running by then
Not if Esther McVey has her way

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1655 on: November 17, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »
I presume BV means GAA is number one but even that depends on which part of the country you're talking about. Gaelic Football is generally more popular than Hurling (but my county doesn't have a football team because you're born with a hurley stick in your hand) and rugby will definitely be number one in large parts of the east and south (Munster).

Football/soccer is probably number one in places with weak GAA/rugby teams (Sligo in the west for example) but generally would be well-followed across the board. Just not when it comes to the domestic league. Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk could likely hold their own financially in League One or Two but most of the remainder are living month to month.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1656 on: November 17, 2022, 12:13:59 PM »
I presume BV means GAA is number one but even that depends on which part of the country you're talking about. Gaelic Football is generally more popular than Hurling (but my county doesn't have a football team because you're born with a hurley stick in your hand) and rugby will definitely be number one in large parts of the east and south (Munster).

Football/soccer is probably number one in places with weak GAA/rugby teams (Sligo in the west for example) but generally would be well-followed across the board. Just not when it comes to the domestic league. Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk could likely hold their own financially in League One or Two but most of the remainder are living month to month.

Well, let's at least hope they have good gynaecologists then.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1657 on: December 14, 2022, 01:58:35 PM »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1658 on: December 14, 2022, 02:06:53 PM »
Some folks I've never heard of are saying approval is due next week;

https://twitter.com/BuildsWeAre/status/1603018810214289409?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Seems reasonable given when the plans were submitted and when we are wanting to get started on the work.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #1659 on: December 15, 2022, 05:09:14 PM »
Some folks I've never heard of are saying approval is due next week;

https://twitter.com/BuildsWeAre/status/1603018810214289409?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
I think I'd heard something on the radio today saying it had been approved. Maybe I was wrong, but the redevelopment definitely got a mention.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1660 on: December 15, 2022, 06:03:01 PM »
The application is due to be considered by the city council's Planning Committee next Thursday, and is recommended for approval.  The report is available to view now on the council's website.

Approval would seem to be a formality, as there have been pretty much no objections from any consultees, local residents included, and short of him signing off the report with a 'UTV' I'm not sure the officer's report could have been any more positive.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 06:08:21 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1661 on: December 18, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
The application is due to be considered by the city council's Planning Committee next Thursday, and is recommended for approval.  The report is available to view now on the council's website.

Approval would seem to be a formality, as there have been pretty much no objections from any consultees, local residents included, and short of him signing off the report with a 'UTV' I'm not sure the officer's report could have been any more positive.

Can't see why there would be on that part of the ground really.  Witton Road and Trinity Road would be a different matter I suppose. 

Think it is an exciting development and a bit of a statement by the club. 

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #1662 on: December 22, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »
Planning approved apparently.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #1663 on: December 22, 2022, 12:16:26 PM »
Planning approved apparently.

Aston Villa today welcomed Birmingham City Council’s decision to grant planning permission for phase one of the Club’s redevelopment and expansion of Villa Park.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/december/22/aston-villa-welcomes-planning-approval-for-villa-park-redevelopment/

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1664 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:06 PM »
Excellent. I've got to say I'm impressed with the way the club have gone about this. Really slick, good communication and engagement and it all bodes well.

Shows the ambition and commitment of the owners too. Hopefully any concerns anyone had will now be put to bed, what with the Emery appointment too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal