collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528691 times)

Online rob_bridge

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #1635 on: November 16, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »
I would like to think that both history and geography are in our favour but both mean Jasckshite nowadays

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1636 on: November 16, 2022, 03:10:21 PM »
West ham, old trafford, Sunderland and the smaller dublin one would be my guess.

From an Irish perspective, I would say Casement Park then Croke Park are more likely to be cut than the Aviva.
I would have thought that if there was any chance that England could play there (maybe in a semi final) then Croke Park would be a non starter?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1637 on: November 16, 2022, 03:15:56 PM »
The shame about the Aviva is the tiny section behind one of the goals. Like the dip in tiers at Brighton's Amex stadium, makes it look a bit tinpot. Impressive structure from the outside though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1638 on: November 16, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »
West ham, old trafford, Sunderland and the smaller dublin one would be my guess.

From an Irish perspective, I would say Casement Park then Croke Park are more likely to be cut than the Aviva.

Unless there is a drastic change in the near future, Northern Ireland will have to have one, so Belfast will be in there.  The Rep of Ireland grounds are both in Dublin - isn't there a suitable ground in another part of the country so it could be shared out a bit?

Above all, does it mean that all 5 countries will qualify automatically?

Online eamonn

« Reply #1639 on: November 16, 2022, 04:13:58 PM »
There isn't any other Irish stadia of 50k+ seated, outside of the capital.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1640 on: November 16, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »
The Guardian

Fourteen venues shortlisted by the UK and Ireland bid to host Euro 2028
Stadiums across five countries include nine from England
Hopes high for Uefa approval in September 2023

Ben Fisher
Wed 16 Nov 2022 13.04 GMT

The four UK nations and Ireland have submitted a dossier to Uefa outlining their plans to host Euro 2028, with 14 stadiums across the five countries shortlisted to hold matches, including Everton’s future home at Bramley-Moore Dock and Sunderland’s Stadium of Light, one of two north-east venues selected. A final list of 10 will be submitted in April 2023.

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales each have one stadium and the Republic of Ireland two, with the remaining nine in England, including two in the north-east, which was controversially overlooked for this year’s Women’s European Championship.

The stadiums selected are: Villa Park, Everton Stadium, London Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Wembley Stadium, Etihad Stadium, St James’ Park, Stadium of Light, Old Trafford, Dublin Arena, Croke Park, Belfast Casement Park Stadium, Hampden Park and the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The UK government is thought to be confident that its joint bid will be approved by Uefa, with Turkey the only other country in the running. Russia had announced its intention to bid but was ruled out by its Uefa ban from football since its invasion of Ukraine. Uefa’s executive committee will decide the hosts in September 2023.

A joint statement from the UK nations and Ireland outlining their preliminary vision for the tournament said all stadiums were well connected. It added: “The UK and Ireland’s track record of hosting successful major sporting events over many decades means we have the expertise and experience to take this world-class tournament to new heights.”

The UK and Ireland this year shelved plans to host the 2030 World Cup. The English Football Association’s chief executive, Mark Bullingham, cited vast expense and “many areas of uncertainty”.

No Anfield or Emirates. Four of the shortlisted venues will lose out when the final choice of 10 is made.

Anfield doesn't qualify for UEFAs criteria as the pitch is too small, so couldn't be used - Everton will have a much better ground by then anyway, albeit smaller.  No surprise really on The Emirates either, given there are 3 bigger grounds to pick in London already.  What will be a real pisser is when they select West Ham's ground to justify all the public money that has gone into it, despite it being completely crap for football.

Hopefully by 2028 we won't just have had the North Stand rebuilt, and will have a new 20k Witton Lane stand ready to open in time to parade our 4th successive quadruple.

Everton's might never get finished, they still haven't got all the funding in place and if it got canned, they've got to pay to have the site put back as it was.

Construction is pretty advanced now though isn't it, and would it mean unfilling part of the docks they've built the stadium on.  Maybe they could just get Coventry and Small Heath to ground share there instead.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1641 on: November 16, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »
The Guardian

Fourteen venues shortlisted by the UK and Ireland bid to host Euro 2028
Stadiums across five countries include nine from England
Hopes high for Uefa approval in September 2023

Ben Fisher
Wed 16 Nov 2022 13.04 GMT

The four UK nations and Ireland have submitted a dossier to Uefa outlining their plans to host Euro 2028, with 14 stadiums across the five countries shortlisted to hold matches, including Everton’s future home at Bramley-Moore Dock and Sunderland’s Stadium of Light, one of two north-east venues selected. A final list of 10 will be submitted in April 2023.

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales each have one stadium and the Republic of Ireland two, with the remaining nine in England, including two in the north-east, which was controversially overlooked for this year’s Women’s European Championship.

The stadiums selected are: Villa Park, Everton Stadium, London Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Wembley Stadium, Etihad Stadium, St James’ Park, Stadium of Light, Old Trafford, Dublin Arena, Croke Park, Belfast Casement Park Stadium, Hampden Park and the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

The UK government is thought to be confident that its joint bid will be approved by Uefa, with Turkey the only other country in the running. Russia had announced its intention to bid but was ruled out by its Uefa ban from football since its invasion of Ukraine. Uefa’s executive committee will decide the hosts in September 2023.

A joint statement from the UK nations and Ireland outlining their preliminary vision for the tournament said all stadiums were well connected. It added: “The UK and Ireland’s track record of hosting successful major sporting events over many decades means we have the expertise and experience to take this world-class tournament to new heights.”

The UK and Ireland this year shelved plans to host the 2030 World Cup. The English Football Association’s chief executive, Mark Bullingham, cited vast expense and “many areas of uncertainty”.

No Anfield or Emirates. Four of the shortlisted venues will lose out when the final choice of 10 is made.

Anfield doesn't qualify for UEFAs criteria as the pitch is too small, so couldn't be used - Everton will have a much better ground by then anyway, albeit smaller.  No surprise really on The Emirates either, given there are 3 bigger grounds to pick in London already.  What will be a real pisser is when they select West Ham's ground to justify all the public money that has gone into it, despite it being completely crap for football.

Hopefully by 2028 we won't just have had the North Stand rebuilt, and will have a new 20k Witton Lane stand ready to open in time to parade our 4th successive quadruple.

Everton's might never get finished, they still haven't got all the funding in place and if it got canned, they've got to pay to have the site put back as it was.

Construction is pretty advanced now though isn't it, and would it mean unfilling part of the docks they've built the stadium on.  Maybe they could just get Coventry and Small Heath to ground share there instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/13/everton-football-club-new-stadium-bramley-moore-dock

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1642 on: November 16, 2022, 05:27:10 PM »
The article very much suggests the project isn’t exactly going as planned.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1643 on: November 16, 2022, 05:39:00 PM »
Whichever  stadiums miss out it won't be Villa Park. The 4 to be deleted should be:
London Stadium as it's not a football stadium, Etihad for the same reason, Stadium of Light as it's close to St James Park and Casement Park as it's a shed.

Online eamonn

« Reply #1644 on: November 16, 2022, 06:25:29 PM »
Re the last part of that article:

Everton added it was confident its overall finances were robust and that the stadium would be built on time.

A spokesman for Moshiri said he was “perplexed” by the Guardian’s questions about the club’s finances and suggested there was no public interest in analysing the club’s funding. He added that Everton was in rude financial health with access and relationships to a range of well-known lenders.

As evidence of the club’s robust finances, the owner also said that Everton had low borrowings – pointing to net debts of £58.2m to the end of June 2021.

That figure is correct and comes directly from the club’s accounts – but it is arguably not quite the full story as it masks the size of the owner’s contribution: arcane accounting standards mean that a further £248.2m in “loans” owed to Moshiri when the accounts were filed have been classified as “equity”.

Aren't we doing the same with NSWE? Converting their loans to equity?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1645 on: November 16, 2022, 06:25:56 PM »

I would have thought that if there was any chance that England could play there (maybe in a semi final) then Croke Park would be a non starter?

I'd imagine that the draw would be set up so that England play at Wembley from the QF stage onwards if they progress.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #1646 on: November 16, 2022, 06:26:42 PM »

Unless there is a drastic change in the near future, Northern Ireland will have to have one, so Belfast will be in there.  The Rep of Ireland grounds are both in Dublin - isn't there a suitable ground in another part of the country so it could be shared out a bit?

Above all, does it mean that all 5 countries will qualify automatically?

I'm not convinced that Belfast has to have one or indeed that Ireland has to have 2 if there are only 10 venues although I'd imagine UEFA will be loath not to use the 3rd biggest stadium in Europe. Also Casement Park will only hold 34,500 and hasn't been built yet, and given the impasse at Stormont who knows when it will be.

Not sure what the situation is wrt the 5 hosts qualifying automatically. England plus the other 4 playing off for 2 spots would be fair compromise if need be.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #1647 on: November 16, 2022, 06:27:11 PM »
The shame about the Aviva is the tiny section behind one of the goals. Like the dip in tiers at Brighton's Amex stadium, makes it look a bit tinpot. Impressive structure from the outside though.

I think a capacity of 52,500 is about right given the size of Ireland and soccer and rugby not being the main sports here. I believe the dip at one end was required so as not to block the light on local (and presumably very expensive) houses. Does look a bit tinpot inside and on TV, but gives it a nice flowing design on the outside and stops it becoming just another oval stadium.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1648 on: November 17, 2022, 12:00:28 AM »

I'd imagine that the draw would be set up so that England play at Wembley from the QF stage onwards if they progress.

Unless Wembley hosts at least three of the four Quarter-Finals, and both Semi-Finals, it's impossible to do that in 24 team tournament. You can arrange for England to stay at Wembley if they win their group but not if they finish second or as one of the best third place teams.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1649 on: November 17, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »
HS2 will be up and running by then which will surely make Villa Park an absolute shoe in to be chosen.

All academic though as UEFA won’t give us the tournament after the fan problems in the Euros last year. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal