collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 546206 times)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #525 on: June 01, 2021, 07:28:09 PM »
Wembley is very much a destination now though and id guess there are plenty if events at the arena as well as the stadium. The semi permanent idea would be good though.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #526 on: June 01, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
Do any of the current stands lend themselves to safe standing?

The Lower Holte would be ideal.  Adding maybe 2-3k to the capacity and also adding to the atmosphere.  Having googled it, Xia reckoned that two areas of the lower holte could be used.  Might as well do the whole thing and avoid issued with standing/sitting in the same stand. 

Someone more qualified than me will be able to confirm but I don't think you could increase the capacity of an already built stand by converting it to safe standing as the capacity is dictated by the safety certificate which is driven by entrances, exits and concourse areas.
But can you get an updated safety certificate assuming access etc is up to scratch?

Probably but the only way it'll show a higher capacity would be if there were more turnstiles, exits, gangways, etc which can't be done without rebuilding the stand.
What if there's already enough to cope with a higher capacity?  I'm not saying there is, but surely an analysis has to be done?

I just don't see why we would've designed the Holte as an all-seater stand, in an era where standing had been fairly recently outlawed, but with the safety standards required for a terrace of a much higher capacity.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #527 on: June 01, 2021, 08:50:08 PM »
Who on earth is going to travel into Aston to visit a BoxPark style venue?  No way can somewhere like that survive on 18 match days a season.  A leisure type development is just pie on the sky with the grounds location.  A more semi permanent area for mobile street food vendors with outdoor seating and some bars and perhaps a bit of weather cover could be an option though I guess.
Villa Park is used way more often than Wembley so how does box park survive?

It’s surrounded by huge resi towers now.  I think there’s also a uni campus there too.

Decent mobile street food options, with coverings, is probably the most viable option at Villa Park.
Yeah I get that and Aston is hardly known for its thriving nightlife nowadays.But with the amount of matchday pubs we've lost around the ground and the fact that we're talking about extending the ground to around 50,000 something along those lines could be a good move. And don't forget it would be owned and run by the club and could be a valuable income stream on matchday.

19 days of the year?

That's not a revenue stream.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #528 on: June 01, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
Has there been anything to suggest that 'safe standing' might be a goer in the UK any time soon? Given recent events at citeh and spurs, I'd think not.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #529 on: June 01, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »
Who on earth is going to travel into Aston to visit a BoxPark style venue?  No way can somewhere like that survive on 18 match days a season.  A leisure type development is just pie on the sky with the grounds location.  A more semi permanent area for mobile street food vendors with outdoor seating and some bars and perhaps a bit of weather cover could be an option though I guess.

It’s surrounded by huge resi towers now.  I think there’s also a uni campus there too.

Decent mobile street food options, with coverings, is probably the most viable option at Villa Park.
Yeah I get that and Aston is hardly known for its thriving nightlife nowadays.But with the amount of matchday pubs we've lost around the ground and the fact that we're talking about extending the ground to around 50,000 something along those lines could be a good move. And don't forget it would be owned and run by the club and could be a valuable income stream on matchday.

19 days of the year?

All the corporate is only 19 days a year. Is that not a revenue stream then?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #530 on: June 01, 2021, 09:09:38 PM »

19 days of the year?

Yes, it is, but it's an existing function inside the stadium itself. It doesn't require any further investment.

Also, re the earlier post, Wembley will be used way more often, by way more people, than Villa Park is. Not even close.

Two enormous concert venues - the Arena and the Stadium - for a start. Then the massive conferencing venues around it, the residential flats, all of that.

Villa Park has no footfall or commercial activity outside match days.

re numbers: In the last 'normal' year, Wembley Stadium hosted 38 shows, 855,809 tickets sold. That's just concerts at the stadium.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:14:10 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #531 on: June 01, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »
Wembley is a 365 days a year tourist destination for a start.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2021, 09:20:13 PM »
Has there been anything to suggest that 'safe standing' might be a goer in the UK any time soon? Given recent events at citeh and spurs, I'd think not.

What recent events?

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2021, 09:33:59 PM »

What recent events?

At club level, citeh have reduced the number of seats in their ground in favour of advertising, and similarly spurs fucked their fans off upstairs when they were allowed back in instead of letting them in where advertising held greater sway pitchside. If it becomes a commercial decision, it ain't happening.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2021, 09:39:40 PM »
Thanks. I don't recall either of those clubs being massively in favour, Celtic seemed to have got quite far with it pre-Covid, as I recall. No idea if it has been forgotten about, now.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2021, 10:15:37 PM »

19 days of the year?

Yes, it is, but it's an existing function inside the stadium itself. It doesn't require any further investment.

Also, re the earlier post, Wembley will be used way more often, by way more people, than Villa Park is. Not even close.

Two enormous concert venues - the Arena and the Stadium - for a start. Then the massive conferencing venues around it, the residential flats, all of that.

Villa Park has no footfall or commercial activity outside match days.

re numbers: In the last 'normal' year, Wembley Stadium hosted 38 shows, 855,809 tickets sold. That's just concerts at the stadium.
Don't look like I'm winning this one. Oh well probably just a pipe dream. Maybe we can have a beer tent and a few burger  vans .

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »
In terms of revenue streams, Box Park make their money by letting out units to permanent restaurants and leisure operators, rent include a percentage of turnover.  No leisure operator will rent and run a permanent unit for 1 match day every other week.

However, the club could do in-house catering or, as suggested earlier mobiile food vendors but with a better covered seated area.  The key thing for me would be to include a few bars and seating under cover - those semi permanent big top type canopies or that type of thing.  But even if they do, with our weather I'm not sure if that will be enough to drag people there early to spend money or not.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #537 on: June 15, 2021, 05:27:46 PM »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #538 on: June 15, 2021, 09:09:20 PM »
That makes us jealous so no more about Liverpool, please!

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #539 on: June 16, 2021, 08:38:28 AM »
is there a case for a 'cheap' option to increase capacity as the ground currently stands  to mitigate the risk of huge infrastructure investment?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal