collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 529059 times)

Offline Martin Carruthers

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
Loath as I am to praise something in the Lambert era, but the atmosphere in the 6-1 v Sunderland was brilliant.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2021, 11:41:21 AM »
The Liverpool FAC match in 86 where they beat us 2-0,we were a lot later than usual, but still made it for k.o. You could hear the Holte full on from the expressway flyover: who the fkn ell are you? Me and my mate just grinned at each other and almost ran to the ground.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »
I'd almost have no issue with a bowl-type effect if they rebuilt the North Stand. but leave the Holte as a stand on it's own, I guess actually that would then be a horseshoe?

Anyway, I reckon we could get planning permission to build the Witton Stand over the road, as we have with the Trinity. I also think there's a huge amount of space to re-do the North as a monster of a stand.

In terms of capacity to aim for, I think 50k is conservative, we should go for more.
I'm quite firmly against a bowl or even a horseshoe as it is so inconsistent with the character of the ground, and because it will never be completely successful due to the various constraints. Much better to embrace the notion of four individual stands I say, in the same way that Liverpool have. They have obviously decided that Anfield in broadly its current form is completely integral to their DNA.

As I wrote in a separate reply, I don't think building over roads is ever very successful. To extend the Witton Lane stand I think you need to start buying up houses on Holte Road in the same way that Liverpool did. There is obviously a danger of unsettling the local community, which is why a masterplan would be so important, to demonstrate some wider benefits.

I agree that as the ultimate destination 50k is probably too conservative. It would obviously be fine for the time being, but if the ambition is to consistently challenge for the top six places, then I'm not convinced that it would be worth investing what would be required into one stand, without knowing that there was some way of getting closer to 60k. Everton for example are building a 55k stadium, knowing that it could be expanded if necessary.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
Loath as I am to praise something in the Lambert era, but the atmosphere in the 6-1 v Sunderland was brilliant.

I remember being absolutely buzzing coming out of that game, and playing the Clash on the car stereo really loud all the way home.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2021, 12:24:38 PM »
I agree that as the ultimate destination 50k is probably too conservative. It would obviously be fine for the time being, but if the ambition is to consistently challenge for the top six places, then I'm not convinced that it would be worth investing what would be required into one stand, without knowing that there was some way of getting closer to 60k. Everton for example are building a 55k stadium, knowing that it could be expanded if necessary.

The North Stand currently holds 7k.  Dortmund's Yellow Wall is the best stand in the world (outside of VP obviously!) and holds 25k.  Stick another 18k on to our capacity and you're at 60k.

Et voila!

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
I have fond memories of Athletic Bilbao in 97.  When we're on it, night games at Villa are something very special.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
Their fans were brilliant as well.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2021, 12:47:43 PM »
That whole UEFA cup run brought electric to VP legs.

I actually think the Steau Bucharest atmosphere was the best as it was the first time we had to come from being behind in a tie and it got us to the last 8.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »
I know it goes against the grain, but I love Villa Park as it is.
I also know we need to progress but I'm dreading the changes whenever they are. 

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »
A rebuilt North Stand to mirror the Holte (with additional corporate facilities) would take us up to c. 50k, and presumably wouldn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things.  That's probably all we can do realistically without a rebuild where we shift the stadium 10 yards into the North Stand car park, and to be honest would do us for the next 10 years. If we are consistently successful at that point, then a wholescale redevelopment might be the only way to go.

There is plenty of precedent for building stands that end up only being used for a few years (Filbert Street being one where they build a large new main stand about 10 years before they moved completely), so it would pay for itself in that time as long as we remain competitive on the pitch.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2021, 02:32:56 PM »

The North Stand currently holds 7k.  Dortmund's Yellow Wall is the best stand in the world (outside of VP obviously!) and holds 25k.  Stick another 18k on to our capacity and you're at 60k.

Et voila!
Whilst I'd kind of love a 'yellow wall' type stand I'm a bit unsure about building a stand that usurps the Hote as the 'home end.'  Would it split out most vocal support?  I know these are first world problems but see what I mean?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2021, 02:49:22 PM »

Et voila!
Whilst I'd kind of love a 'yellow wall' type stand I'm a bit unsure about building a stand that usurps the Hote as the 'home end.'  Would it split out most vocal support?  I know these are first world problems but see what I mean?

The Holte has a capacity of 13.5k so if we have ambitions of Villa Park holding north of 50k we need to accept that either the Holte has to go or it's not going to be the biggest stand any more.

The North Stand is the one in most desperate need of a bulldozer - I'd rather we do that properly than worry about "splitting" the home support.  When Villa Park is really rocking, every stand is making noise, so a lively North Stand only adds to the atmosphere.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »

Et voila!

The Holte has a capacity of 13.5k so if we have ambitions of Villa Park holding north of 50k we need to accept that either the Holte has to go or it's not going to be the biggest stand any more.

The North Stand is the one in most desperate need of a bulldozer - I'd rather we do that properly than worry about "splitting" the home support.  When Villa Park is really rocking, every stand is making noise, so a lively North Stand only adds to the atmosphere.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Holte being the smaller end stand, make people feel like they have to earn the right to be in there!  When they do the next stage of redevelopment at Anfield I believe the Kop (spits) will be the smallest stand there, so again it's not unprecedented.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2021, 05:25:23 PM »

Et voila!
I think the yellow wall holds 25k and a large amount is due to its width. It wraps around the sides and they're included in its capacity. The Spurs end is similar and holds 17k.The Holte is still a true free standing end. If we're to avoid a wrap around at the North Stand end I think 15/16k would be possible as the Holte loses the corner on the Trinity Rd side and they could avoid that. So a potential 50k can be achieved but how would it go down with traditionalists if the North Stand held more than the Holte?

Offline Heald Green Villa

« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2021, 05:51:43 PM »
I wonder what the Holte End capacity would be if safe standing was installed in the lower Holte?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal