collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 531076 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2021, 05:57:06 PM »
Loath as I am to praise something in the Lambert era, but the atmosphere in the 6-1 v Sunderland was brilliant.

I remember being absolutely buzzing coming out of that game, and playing the Clash on the car stereo really loud all the way home.

yeah, yeah. You mean you were listening to U2, Sund'land, Bloody Sund'land.

Offline steamer

« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2021, 06:18:02 PM »
What was the Holte standing capacity before the roof went on, I see to think 22,000

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »
What was the Holte standing capacity before the roof went on, I see to think 22,000
I think it went to 22,000 after they created a 6ft gap down the middle and that must've took a couple of thousand off. I seem to remember a figure of 28,000 but not sure if that was ever official.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2021, 06:30:43 PM »
That Everton game, does anyone know if there's a way to watch the full game anywhere or anyhow? Does the Villa website have anything like this? I would dearly love to see that again.

Villa Park is one of the reasons I am most proud of the club. Such an iconic ground, dripping in history and a true sense of tradition. My preference would certainly be to improve on what we have rather than move away. I can't bear the thought of Villa not playing at Villa Park.

Without meaning to take the thread into the realms of comedy, Tony Xia mooted that idea/fantasy of rebuilding/redeveloping Aston around Villa Park. I'm guessing that isn't on the table any longer?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »
I wonder what the Holte End capacity would be if safe standing was installed in the lower Holte?

The same, I think. Unless you completely rip out a stand and start again,  you can't increase capacity by changing from seating to standing. Increasing capacity means you're legally obliged to increase the number of emerging exits and toilets, among other things. There is also the issue that the structure itself is designed for a certain number of people and letting more in could render the stand unsafe.

I think, anyway. Amfy is the expert and told me something along the lines of the above though I may not have remembered it properly.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:11 PM »
I think it went to 22,000 after they created a 6ft gap down the middle and that must've took a couple of thousand off. I seem to remember a figure of 28,000 but not sure if that was ever official.

Yeah I remember that 28000 figure back in the 70s

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2021, 10:07:31 PM »
28,000 through the turnstiles plus however many climbed up the back wall.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2021, 10:30:29 PM »
When do we think a suitable time would be to get cracking on the North Stand? Surely this time next year, if we are established in the top half of the PL again, would be as good a time as any? Or too soon?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »
When do we think a suitable time would be to get cracking on the North Stand? Surely this time next year, if we are established in the top half of the PL again, would be as good a time as any? Or too soon?
It's long overdue so it should be a top priority in my view. The owners plan to make us a European force again so it would be remiss of them to wait until we start a campaign and then decide to knock half the ground down. And we should remember that poxy Wolves have knocked down and rebuilt their North bank twice since we built our North stand in the 70's.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:01:53 PM by The Edge »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
Yes the Holte was 28k, so when things were going well a typical 3/4 full was about 21k. With a few gaps on the sides in the Trinity and Witton seats, that would be about another 5k and 3k. So that left the Trinity enclosure and Witton Terrace to add on. Shall we just say a bit over 30k Mr Ellis ?

Online FatSam

« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2021, 11:19:15 PM »
To be in a position to start onsite at the end of next season, a planning application would need to be submitted in six months time at the latest. Its not impossible, but highly unlikely that the design process has started yet. Even if the design work had been progressed behind the scenes, the public consultation involved would be difficult to conclude within these timescales. I think that the club wouldn't want to progress too far with any plans before they are in a position to consult supporters properly anyway, which is obviously difficult in current circumstances. The 2030 target allows enough time to bring the ground as a whole up to the necessary standard, but the North Stand would be the main component of any redevelopment, and won't happen overnight. Unless of course the owners want to bash out HDE's lapsed consent, which I sincerely hope they don't!

Offline The Edge

« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2021, 11:26:57 PM »
To be in a position to start onsite at the end of next season, a planning application would need to be submitted in six months time at the latest. Its not impossible, but highly unlikely that the design process has started yet. Even if the design work had been progressed behind the scenes, the public consultation involved would be difficult to conclude within these timescales. I think that the club wouldn't want to progress too far with any plans before they are in a position to consult supporters properly anyway, which is obviously difficult in current circumstances. The 2030 target allows enough time to bring the ground as a whole up to the necessary standard, but the North Stand would be the main component of any redevelopment, and won't happen overnight. Unless of course the owners want to bash out HDE's lapsed consent, which I sincerely hope they don't!
Interesting cheers for the info. But 2030? Surely it can be done quicker than that? Mind you it's took our council 10 years to extend the tram by about half a mile so if they've got anything to do with it your probably right.

Online FatSam

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2021, 12:44:46 AM »
Interesting cheers for the info. But 2030? Surely it can be done quicker than that? Mind you it's took our council 10 years to extend the tram by about half a mile so if they've got anything to do with it your probably right.
I suppose I was thinking that the 2030 target is realistic to complete redevelopment of the North stand and some other projects to upgrade the ground. If work on the North Stand started in summer 2023 and continued for 18-24 months, there would be 5 years left to redevelop the Witton Lane stand for example. More likely, nothing much will happen for the next few years whilst our owners assess the post-Covid landscape, and wait until we are fully established in the EPL with more sustainable transfer net spend, before ramping-up the process.

Liverpool's timescales to redevelop Anfield aren't dissimilar; declaring their intention to expand the ground in 2011, planning application for the new main stand in spring 2014, opening the stand in autumn 2016, planning application for the new Anfield Road stand at the end of 2020, and now expecting construction to be complete by summer 2023 at the earliest. They have changed their minds a bit, and obviously been affected by Covid, which would have slowed them down a bit, but they have also won the CL and EPL during this period, which must have provided some impetus.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2021, 06:32:25 AM »
Haven't we already got planning permission to rebuild the North Stand?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2021, 09:24:56 AM »
I'm sick of all the North Stand hating, it's a brutalist masterpiece and I like sitting up there.

Sort the bloody **** ***** stand out first, that's the real disgrace. It may look a bit better on the outside, but it's terrible inside and it's basically a cut-and-shut job of two stands. It's fitting tribute to the name it was given.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal