collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23071 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2020, 01:46:54 AM »
Bear in mind as well, Leeds had 3 key players out, including their best player. They reshuffled the whole team to plug the gap then had to reshuffle it again when his replacement looked like he was going to get sent off.

That’s the kind of flexibility of thought and tactical pragmatism that smith just lacks.

Stop speaking sense, mate! Hope you're well pal. I had to be up at 6, and have to work 9-7. On a Saturday. In a foul mood because of Smith and his inept tactics.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2020, 02:14:27 AM »
Leeds were great.  They showed Trez isn’t up to the job.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2020, 02:28:10 AM »
And Jack is world class

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2020, 02:29:08 AM »
Jiminy Christmas all these conclusions. Dean's tactics weren't so inept against Liverpool. Trez was up to the job against Robinson and Jota. Sure we have weaknesses which, on the day, matched up badly against a superbly coached team - well you could say the same about the champions the other week. Styles, tactics and obviously performances match up differently in different games, it happens.

Offline jacks_headband

« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2020, 03:21:38 AM »
It was inevitable, we were not going from scrapping to stay up to winning the league.
Leeds out passed us, out ran us and out thought us.
We knew exacctly what their plan was and we let them play it.
some dredfull peformances all across the pitch, maybe Cash who was run ragged tried the hardest but had little back up.
sobering us up for the next outing
As an aside, why is there a downer on here about Bamford, scored a hat trick and seemed decent to me.
The bench as has been said does little to inspire and Tarore was caught up in the Malaise when he came on

It's because he's a nasty snide little cheating w*nker

Offline jacks_headband

« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2020, 03:23:14 AM »
When Bielsa hooked his player off after 20 minutes, I thought it's probably not going to be our night. To be honest, I really respect that sort of ruthlessness from a manager. Smith should have done the same to Barkley after his horror pass at 0-1, which directly resulted in their second.

I thought the same but would be incredibly brave of any manager to take off a big name like Barkley, could of soured the whole loan, easy for Bielsa to sub his no name players. Smithy could of perhaps shifted Ross out to the right in place of Trez and put Nkamba on to try and get hold of the midfield however it seemed like leeds wingers did most of the damage so who knows how that would of worked out.
Barkley has had games like this for Everton and Chelsea, thats probably why they've loaned him out. It's up to us to see if we can do something with him.

The day Ross Barkley is too good for us to upset and sub off when having a mare is a day to give up watching us. Smith's comments on Ross so far have been, worryingly, on the starstruck side (has he ever managed a higher profile player who wasn't already at any club he's been boss of?). I'd be right pissed off tonight if I was Conor Hourihane.

Should have hooked him for Nakamba

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2020, 04:41:10 AM »
It looked like Berkeley was playing with an injury if so and based on his performance he should have been off. We also needed to get some support to cash who was being ripped apart.
We did neither and paid the price,

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2020, 06:41:43 AM »
I thought we were ok first half and was optimistic at half time.
When they scored first I still thought we were well in the game but the second just caused us to fall apart.
If Grealish scores or Konsa's shot goes in it's a different game.
They were much the better side second half.

Not going to overreact here, onto the next.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2020, 06:50:44 AM »
we were outclassed and out thought by Leeds. But for me, without spectators the game simply isn't real.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »
we were outclassed and out thought by Leeds. But for me, without spectators the game simply isn't real.

Agree, apart from the Liverpool match. That was real.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »
The ref did us no favours
Penalty on Jack
Should have been a second yellow and it looked like Bamford stamped on Mings when he tried to get a penalty.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2020, 07:09:54 AM »
Sounded like we were well in the game until they scored. Bit disappointing heads seem to have dropped and the defending for the second and third goals wasn’t the best, but overall we’re ahead of expectations, to put it mildly, after 5 games. C’est la vie. On to the next game.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2020, 07:33:43 AM »
As Dean said - we don’t get too high when things are going well, or too low when things are not.

It was a bad day at the office - it happens (and it happened to Liverpool two weeks back). In the bigger scheme of things, a wake up call that won’t be a bad thing if the players react in a positive way - we knew realistically we were not going to seriously compete top 6 this year so losses will come. Let’s remember how far we have come in general - overall we are further forward than we had a right to hope for 2 years ago.

And credit to Leeds - got it right and suspect they’ll finish mid table with us this year.

UTV

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
Nope... it still hurts this morning.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2020, 08:08:03 AM »
Nowhere near good enough.

Draw wine and move on. See how they respond to the set back

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal