collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 23550 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2020, 11:18:56 PM »
Tonight was desperately disappointing - really bad - and it’s one we’ll have to suffer from a bit. But it presents an opportunity for the players and management to learn about themselves. Principally we need to find a way of being much better and responding better when things don’t go our way - that’s both from a tactical and an attitude point of view. Use the pain of tonight to come back a better and more rounded team Villa.

Offline frank black

« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2020, 11:19:30 PM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »
That was shit on so many levels.  I jokingly said to my mate who supports Leeds on the way to the pub that it would be the most Villa thing ever to lose 3-0 to Leeds and a Bamford hat trick. I never thought for a second it would come true.  Out thought, and out fought, and despite the money spent, we've only got one substitution that's worth making in Traore for Trez.

Mings had one of his really, really bad games when he looks absolutely nowhere near as good as thinks he is.
After a steady start to the season Targett was back to being a load of old wank.
The midfield was shit, and in not passing to Ollie at the end of the run, Jack has given Southgate and all the other twats ammo for the rest of forever.  That was the end of his England career, right there.

After the first half, I thought we'd get at them as they tired, but letting Patrick fucking Bamford destroy you and your going top dream really is a bit much.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
Oh and Gabby, shut the feck up next time.

Think someone needs to take Gabby's spade off him.  He's digging one hell of a hole for himself.

Bamford mentioned it in his post match interview.  Certainly wouldn't be surprised if Bielsa had that pinned on the dressing room wall.

The best team won, no doubt.  Alarming that some of our bad habits from pre-lockdown resurfaced however.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2020, 11:28:43 PM »
If I had a grand for every brain cell in Agbonlahor's skull, my kids would qualify for free school meals.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2020, 11:28:54 PM »

The danger signs were all there in the first half. Leeds were playing through us far too easily and Harrison and Alioski were having their way with us down their left.

I sometimes wish that Dean could sniff danger before it bites us. What should he have done with the players available on the bench? Fair question. Replace Trezeguet with Nakamba and stiffen the midfield to cut out the supply lines maybe?

I thought that Trez offered nothing attacking wise or defensively tonight but that's not at all to say that he was to blame for this. He's been decent so far and I'd play him against Southampton.

Same team. Make up for this aberration should be the message.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2020, 11:29:16 PM »
We got beat by the better team on the night. It’s happened to all the top teams this season ( and I don’t include us in that list, yet) what happens in our next match is the test and will show us how much we have progressed this season

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2020, 11:30:10 PM »
I will never get why any player, past or present, pipes up with shite like that just before a game. It rarely ends well by full time.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2020, 11:35:39 PM »
I will never get why any player, past or present, pipes up with shite like that just before a game. It rarely ends well by full time.

In his case, its attention seeking, along with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »
Martinez 7 - dont think he could have done more with the second, looked sharp in general
Cash 4 - battled but destroyed lets be honest against an outstanding Harrison
Konsa 7 - our best defender by a long way, covering for Cash as best he could all night
Mings 3 - hopeless, timber legs stuck in the ground while Bamford embarrassingly turned onto his left foot and passed the third in. Terrible for all three goals actually.
Targett 4 - not my favourite player by any stretch but was doing ok until getting overrun into the second half, no support from Grealish
Trez 4 - anonymous with the ball but we sure did miss his graft without the ball when he went off
Luiz 6 - did his best but hopelessly outnumbered, sold down the river by Smith's tactics
McGinn 4 - anonymous for most of the game, unfortunately was up against superior athletes tonight and it showed
Barkley 3 - absolutely useless and should have been subbed immediately after his efforts to stop their second goal
Grealish 6 - should have had a peno and had two kicked off the line but lost the ball a lot tonight and his effort without the ball were risible, pathetic yellow card too
Watkins 4 - really poor in first half when he got lots of possession, made no impact in the second but we stopped playing at that point
Traore 3 - yikes, a bit of a horror show. looked miles off the pace but balance of team was totally wrong

We go again I guess

I think those scores are about right.  I think I'd give Mings a 2 though, he was dreadful, and Jack a 4 or a 5.  I don't think Cash was that bad, as he had no help from Trez, so he'd get a 5.

Offline supertom

« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2020, 11:39:19 PM »
They did to us what we did to Liverpool. Probably should have been 5-6. We were really naive today and I don't think we paid them enough respect. We were ill-disciplined in our pressing. We left acres between our midfield and defence.
Our attackers had an offer day as far as decision making sadly. It's been something that's often been tied to Barclay, that his decision making isn't great. To a lesser extent they used to say it about Jack, as well as him dwelling on it too long some times. Those two in particular were wasteful. Jack may almost have scored a wonder goal but a simple pass to Ollie would probably have put us 1-0 at the time.
We were silly at teams. Flicks here, ambitious passing (that didn't come off, and some games it just doesnt). We went 4 wins from 4 and thought we were Barcelona. Back heels and flicks in our own half. Everyone wants to run through 3-4 players.
We made Bamford look like the love child of Van Basten and Bergkamp ffs. We needed to get deeper, close off the space but didn't. They had acres to play with.

Frustrating. I felt sorry for Watkins. He worked hard, was lively, but should have been played through a few times far earlier. A disappointing game for Jack. Douglas too was disappointingly below par, and this was a game he needed to be sitting a lot deeper.

I think also from Deans side, whilst he didn't address these issues during the game, which was foolish (but to be honest, systematic of modern prem management in all honesty) I think in retrospect we might have benefited from resting one or two. We were leggy. Second to everything. Every stretched header they had still seemed to find a teammate. Every ricochet went to a Leeds player. We also had no patience either, to just sometimes slow the game and take their sting out a bit. We were always looking forward quickly, without the same cohesion we've had so far this season.

Hopefully a one off.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2020, 11:39:48 PM »
Alluding to  a reason we may have lost was down to an ex player talking shite on a platform like talkshte is a good grief moment.

If every time an ex player of Man Ure commented on their opposition before a game and it was published on the away dressing room wall, they would have been relegated years ago.

I recall Trevor Sinclair giving Leicester no chance weeks ago at Man City.

We were second best end of and had zero to do with Gabby’s comments.

We have had a great start, we move on and beat Soton.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2020, 11:44:25 PM »

In his case, its attention seeking, along with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer

Well he's getting some attention...

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1319744982362849280

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:37 PM »
Isn't he employed by Talksport now? So it's his job to generate attention for the station, which he seems to have done.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2020, 11:50:23 PM »
My wife organised a last supper with a few friends tonight, so I ended up in the kitchen all day.

Villa win or draw to go top.... We've been here before.

It would be those scrotes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal