collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34301 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #435 on: October 20, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »
Just say they invent some “16 team super duper league”.

One of those humongous world brands will finish bottom.

Small Divisions. 2 go through to next round + wild cards.
There will be enough willing canon fodder to make up the numbers.
Secondary Tournament.
Games in different Continents.
Its going Global.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #436 on: October 20, 2020, 09:45:47 PM »
Americanised Premier League. Probably be six 15 minute sessions, adverts galore, sponsors names on goal posts etc.

No thanks  >:(

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #437 on: October 20, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
None of us like where there is potentially leading but is there anything we can do about it? When Wall Street and sadly some American owners get involved it is all about the money. Be very interesting to see Wes and Nassef's stance on this.

The unfortunate thing is The English Premier League is absolutely massive worldwide and is the biggest current platform for international stars to ply their trade.

If it is ultimately replaced by a European Premier League it will then attract the global tv market, revenues and the worlds best players. If we boycott UK grounds, subscriptions etc the loss in revenue wouldn't make a difference to our American friends. The UK revenue is small compared to the rest of the world!!

We need clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd etc to kick this into touch from the beginning or things might not bode well for the future for the English game.  >:(

The world's best players will follow the money.  What's to stop a richer league/competition being set up, perhaps featuring North American, South American and other European club sides?   Anything is possible and I'm pretty sure the billionaire owners of clubs not invited to the Euro League will be thinking ahead about how best to maximise the potential of their own investments. 

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
Rather than reduce the size of the Prem,increase it.See how Man U,Liverpool and their friends like playing 80 games a season.Even with extra players they could struggle.
A straight knockout out European  competition would be more dramatic than their concoction

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #439 on: October 20, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »
I agree that it would probably get pretty boring. I suspect the final 3rd of the season every year would become a couple of worthwhile games and a bunch of near friendlies when half the teams realise there's literally nothing to play for.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #440 on: October 20, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
I agree that it would probably get pretty boring. I suspect the final 3rd of the season every year would become a couple of worthwhile games and a bunch of near friendlies when half the teams realise there's literally nothing to play for.
That's the thing ... in a 16 team league where you can't get relegated, you'll potentially start getting teams that have nothing to play for a quarter of the way in to the season, possibly even sooner. Without continental football giving 2nd-6th placed finishes some meaning, you only need to rack up 4 or 5 defeats and it's game over, nothing doing.

It's why the threat of withdrawing domestic & European (UEFA) football will be so potent - it makes it a massive gamble for any club to join it. As others have questioned, how long are any of these club's fans going to tolerate season after season of lower-mid-table finishes? Loads of utterly pointless games from November onwards?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #441 on: October 21, 2020, 01:12:46 AM »
I’m baffled as to why any club would want to leave a league with more popularity than any other league in the world. Do they really think that this will sweep up all of football? I really cannot see this happening. It does though have the potential for Southgate to have another excuse not to include Jack. It’s like Football Brexit.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #442 on: October 21, 2020, 05:28:50 AM »
That is the point, they want to stay in the Premier League and hedge their bets. The PL should make it clear it’s one or the other.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #443 on: October 21, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »
Sorry, I’m a bit out of it at the moment, I didn’t read their full proposal. They should be told in no uncertain terms to f*** off over there and when they arrive f*** off a bit more.

Do what you must teams in red but don’t think you can dick around without historic leagues or competitions to suit your greed without consequences.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #444 on: October 21, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
What consequences? It's being backed by FIFA. They have the law on their side, not against them.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #445 on: October 21, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »
I’m baffled as to why any club would want to leave a league with more popularity than any other league in the world...
Again, following the money.
The interesting question is at what point we become 'eligible to join the elite. Given our current upward trajectory and the wealth of our owners, Villa will get to the point when the proposed Euro Premier League will accept that we are 'worthy' ... then we could all be somewhat conflicted.
Our first-team squad of 30-35 players compete in a closed-shop league we for global TV revenues, whilst our second fiddle play in the Football League ... a win-win?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #446 on: October 21, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »
a big fat no. Leagues without the jeopardy of promotion and relegation are meaningless. Let Yanited and Liverpool fuck off by the rest of the PL telling them to fuck off.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #447 on: October 21, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
a big fat no. Leagues without the jeopardy of promotion and relegation are meaningless. Let Yanited and Liverpool fuck off by the rest of the PL telling them to fuck off.
Lets hope the other 15 clubs do.

The relationship between UEFA and FIFA  is going to be interesting, this has huge potential ramifications for International Football.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #448 on: October 21, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »
There's no way the PL and FA should allow them to play in both competitions.  It might be an initial blow to the PL if 3 or 4 of the more successful clubs left but it would recover, probably become fairer and more competitive, and offer more clubs the chance of winning something.  If they want a closed shop league that elevates them above everyone else then make the PL a closed shop to them.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #449 on: October 21, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »
Even if we were invited I would want no part of it.
The next thing would be a shiny new souless Mecarno Kit stadium in the arse end of nowhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal