collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34586 times)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #420 on: October 20, 2020, 06:39:16 PM »
I do not think these people who come up with these ideas know why fans go to football , and they probably do not care either .  it is all about overseas subscriptions   :-\

Exactly right. Doesn’t matter if we’re there or not, they can stick some fake crowd noise on and just pretend.

I wonder if there are people who would currently be going to games, who may never go again the way things are heading.

Online Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #421 on: October 20, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »
It'll bomb. Absolutely. So let them go and do their thing. And when it goes tits up let the greedy f*****s start of the bottom of the pyramid all over again. Would love to hear what the plastics would make of Nuneaton Borough.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #422 on: October 20, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »
Fixture congestion suddenly stops being an issue again.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #423 on: October 20, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
I do not think these people who come up with these ideas know why fans go to football , and they probably do not care either .  it is all about overseas subscriptions   :-\

Exactly right. Doesn’t matter if we’re there or not, they can stick some fake crowd noise on and just pretend.

I wonder if there are people who would currently be going to games, who may never go again the way things are heading.
This is spot on. Investors see football as a commodity. Well it's not and it's about time fans of all clubs, including fans of those greedy clubs who want this, had their voices heard. It's our game now fuck off and find some other way of lining your pockets.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #424 on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:02 PM »
Fixture congestion suddenly stops being an issue again.

As I said, the extra finances from this would mean the domestic leagues would be treated as as reserve leagues where they can 'blood' players with potential to bring through into their super league squad. Operating with 2 squad means all of them end up playing less football so yes, they wouldn't care about fixture congestion again.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #425 on: October 20, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
None of us like where there is potentially leading but is there anything we can do about it? When Wall Street and sadly some American owners get involved it is all about the money. Be very interesting to see Wes and Nassef's stance on this.

The unfortunate thing is The English Premier League is absolutely massive worldwide and is the biggest current platform for international stars to ply their trade.

If it is ultimately replaced by a European Premier League it will then attract the global tv market, revenues and the worlds best players. If we boycott UK grounds, subscriptions etc the loss in revenue wouldn't make a difference to our American friends. The UK revenue is small compared to the rest of the world!!

We need clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd etc to kick this into touch from the beginning or things might not bode well for the future for the English game.  >:(

Offline The Edge

« Reply #426 on: October 20, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »
If you took all the top teams out of their respective leagues to form one European super league it would undoubtedly make huge money initially. But the glory hunting hordes who follow the top teams are used to winning. How long would they keep buying shirts, tv subscriptions etc when they don't win a trophy every year? It would be hilarious watching stadiums like Anfield, Old Trafford,Stamford Bridge etc slowly becoming emptied of the plastics after a few years of winning jack shit.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #427 on: October 20, 2020, 07:07:52 PM »
Mr Edge, I hope you didn't answer your own question. USA doesn't care if we still pay to watch Liverpool, Man Utd getting their arse kicked every week. Once we pay, they don't care.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #428 on: October 20, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »
My objection to this is nothing to do with Villa not being invited. I genuinely think it sounds incredibly dull and I wouldn’t want Villa involved. The basis of performing well domestically to qualify for European football underpins the game - and a certain degree of the joy when you qualify is playing different teams on an infrequent basis. It’s already a bit dull with the way the existing Champions League works, and that’s with a residual bit of surprise in respect of the teams you draw. The idea of an invitational league with pretty much no stakes sounds crushingly dull. I doubt after a couple of years it’d hold a global audience either.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #429 on: October 20, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
Mr Edge, I hope you didn't answer your own question. USA doesn't care if we still pay to watch Liverpool, Man Utd getting their arse kicked every week. Once we pay, they don't care.
I get that. What I'm saying is the interest in the competition would be short lived. "Fans" of the top clubs are used to their team winning trophies in their domestic leagues. They would all go long periods with nothing to celebrate. But fuck em the glory hunting bastards.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #430 on: October 20, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »
My objection to this is nothing to do with Villa not being invited. I genuinely think it sounds incredibly dull and I wouldn’t want Villa involved. The basis of performing well domestically to qualify for European football underpins the game - and a certain degree of the joy when you qualify is playing different teams on an infrequent basis. It’s already a bit dull with the way the existing Champions League works, and that’s with a residual bit of surprise in respect of the teams you draw. The idea of an invitational league with pretty much no stakes sounds crushingly dull. I doubt after a couple of years it’d hold a global audience either.
Exactly.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #431 on: October 20, 2020, 07:47:00 PM »
I get that. What I'm saying is the interest in the competition would be short lived. "Fans" of the top clubs are used to their team winning trophies in their domestic leagues. They would all go long periods with nothing to celebrate. But fuck em the glory hunting bastards.

That's true, fuck em the glory hunting bastards.  :)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #432 on: October 20, 2020, 09:24:09 PM »
It is naive to think that the status Quo will remain. It was obvious as soon as the Big picture was anounced that a change was comming. The issue now is how united and how resoloute the rest of football is. The Premier League would be foolish to allow English teams to compete in both competitions but it is more than likely.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #433 on: October 20, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »
Just say they invent some “16 team super duper league”.

One of those humongous world brands will finish bottom.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #434 on: October 20, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
Just say they invent some “16 team super duper league”.

One of those humongous world brands will finish bottom.

And stay up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal