collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 515323 times)

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #1305 on: September 26, 2021, 11:35:49 PM »
Premier league era Brad Friedel has to be up there

He was solid but I never thought he had the type of match winning game he had for Blackburn and many other keepers for us have had. And his penalty saving deserted him as soon as he joined us.

I love Bozzy like most for nostaglia but interesting when you watch highlights of the 90s seasons the amount of errors he actually made in the games. But he had the confidence to come through the box two minutes later after an error and claim a cross like nothing had happened which is the aura you need to have as a top keeper. Martinez has it aswell.

I'd actually say one of best individual keeper performances was David James in 99/00. He was really good in so many that season for us, shame it gets tainted by the last goal we conceded that season.....

Just think two years ago we were watching Nyland. He tried his best but that's classic example of back 4 being a nervous wreck if they think the keeper is likely to chuck one in at any moment.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1306 on: September 27, 2021, 09:47:44 AM »
Re: nervous back 4...Enckleman, also Steer vs Chelsea.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1307 on: September 27, 2021, 10:14:42 AM »
This guy is the best since Rimmer.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1308 on: September 27, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »

Unfair to put Steer in that category

Nyland, Kalinic, Gollini, Reina, Bunn!, Guzan by the end...all horror shows that spread panic. Bunn was the worst I've seen at Villa

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1309 on: September 27, 2021, 10:24:21 AM »
Steer is glued to his line in the first half against Chelsea, not attempt to close Lukaku, I was referiing to the nervousness in the defence there after.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1310 on: September 27, 2021, 10:25:42 AM »
We need to get him signed up ASAP. He He's only got 2.5 years left. If we get to next Summer then I worry Chelsea/Bayern might take a look.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1311 on: September 27, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »
We need to get him signed up ASAP. He He's only got 2.5 years left. If we get to next Summer then I worry Chelsea/Bayern might take a look.

That should be priority 1.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1312 on: September 27, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »
Mendy will be in the Chelsea goal for a long time to come, he's quality. There will be interest in Emi though for certain.

I agree with the shouts for James. Remember him taking one in the face at Everton (might have been the day Merse scored THAT goal), but he was the most natural keeper I've seen. Could do the spectacular, the feet, the distribution. Just a shame the cup final goal always follows him, especially as its so unlucky to hit of some twats back and fall to Chelsea.

Bosnich was brilliant at shot stopping.

Friedel I already thought was 7/10 without ever being 9.

Offline cdward

« Reply #1313 on: September 27, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
Would like to see a montage of Villa keepers recent antics, Pepe Reina and his weird dance moves, Jed Steer giving Holgate the "stare", Martinez and his dancing to the Stretford end.
Love it Emi, keep it up

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1314 on: September 27, 2021, 11:42:44 AM »
Best shot stopper? Bosnich. But his kicking was atrocious at a time when it became increasingly important.

Best commander of his area? Rimmer.

Spink was a better shot stopper than Rimmer, but didn't have Rimmer's presence.

For all that, the one element of goalkeeping that has left the greatest lasting impression on me was the height and length of Jimmy Cumbes' drop kicks when I first went to Villa Park. To that point I'd never seen a ball kicked that high and that far!
Emi's the best keeper I've seen play for Villa.  Favourite was Nigel Spink -- didn't see Rimmer play, and whilst I was fond of Bozzie, his kicking was woefully bad.  Liked James & Friedel.  Not too bothered about any of the others.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1315 on: September 27, 2021, 12:58:58 PM »
Best shot stopper? Bosnich. But his kicking was atrocious at a time when it became increasingly important.

Best commander of his area? Rimmer.

Spink was a better shot stopper than Rimmer, but didn't have Rimmer's presence.

For all that, the one element of goalkeeping that has left the greatest lasting impression on me was the height and length of Jimmy Cumbes' drop kicks when I first went to Villa Park. To that point I'd never seen a ball kicked that high and that far!
Emi's the best keeper I've seen play for Villa.  Favourite was Nigel Spink -- didn't see Rimmer play, and whilst I was fond of Bozzie, his kicking was woefully bad.  Liked James & Friedel.  Not too bothered about any of the others.

You would have been had you been old enough to see Tommy Hughes.  Thankfully he only made sixteen appearances when we were in the third division.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1316 on: September 27, 2021, 01:00:38 PM »

Nyland, Kalinic, Gollini, Reina, Bunn!, Guzan by the end...all horror shows that spread panic. Bunn was the worst I've seen at Villa

Let's not forget Kiraly with his long johns

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #1317 on: September 27, 2021, 01:02:28 PM »

He was the worst - all those others, especially Reina with his presence and personality, had positive points and had good games. Bunn was just awful. I remember a goal at Stoke where Lescott didn't bother challenging Arnautovic and as the latter headed home home, Bunn was already tangled up in the back of the net having dived prematurely. Comedy gold.

Online john2710

« Reply #1318 on: September 27, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »
Rimmer is, without question the best keeper we’ve had in my time following the club. Probably the best we’ve ever had.

Martinez has a way to go to match him.

Best keeper I’ve ever seen was as Shilton, which grieves me to say because he’s a prize twat.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1319 on: September 27, 2021, 01:50:09 PM »
I think I’d rank them since 88
1 Bozzie
2 Martinez
3 Spink
4 James
5 Freidel
6 Heaton
Can’t think of any others I’d class as very good really. If Heaton had been in goal for us for several seasons playing in the way he started he would have jumped ahead of James and Freidel. I think Bozzie and Martinez were/are world class goalkeepers, if Martinez plays as well as he did last season for another 2-3 years I’d rate him above Bozzie.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal