collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 478363 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Emi is one of the options on the MoTD Top 10 episode: Dark Arts. Which is on the iPlayer.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
He equalled Bosnich's and Friedel's record of 33 Premier League clean sheets yesterday, having played 99 league games. He needs a clean sheet away at Chelsea to take the record outright.

I sometimes think that stats like that can be a bit pointless and say more about the team circumstance than the keeper, but those are the 3 best keepers we've had in the last 30 years by a long way, and I think it's more impressive for Emi as the others played in better teams.

Although Bossie's total record, and especially the 33 in 99 was when he played behind God so that probably reduced the amount of shots he had to deal with.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Interesting going back to the first page of this thread. We seemed to think that, at £17m, we were paying over the odds.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Interesting going back to the first page of this thread. We seemed to think that, at £17m, we were paying over the odds.

I'm guessing that most people didn't know much about him, and that much for a reserve at his age probably did seem quite steep at the time, when there were players with more first team experience being mentioned.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
True. It's just how things look in hindsight.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Emi is one of the options on the MoTD Top 10 episode: Dark Arts. Which is on the iPlayer.
For me, that's not a good association.
Especially as it's being insinuated that dark arts is not good conduct and behaviour.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Oh no, here we go.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Thank you for your input.

Offline Toronto Villa

Especially as it's being insinuated that dark arts is not good conduct and behaviour.

fucking hell. Not this again

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024

He does not want to get a reputation as these things start to count against players.
I think it was Antony Taylor the other week wise to him falling over and just carried on play.
Last thing we need is Martinez sent off.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:45:57 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025

He does not want to get a reputation as these things start to count against players.
I think it was Antony Taylor the other week wise to him falling over and just carried on play.
Last thing we need is Martinez sent off.

He never has been in his career, and I can’t see that he’s ever been close with us.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Is there a decent backup keeper even in the PL (one who is definitely good enough to be a starting PL keeper at a different club)? I'm struggling to think of one (yes, I'm including Olsen 😂).

If that's the criteria you're using then I reckon a few would get in over Bazunu at Southampton or Ward at Leicester.

Dubravka, Kelleher, Areola, Butland, Johnstone. Maybe Strakosha. One of the Chelsea guys as you said.

Navas / Henderson if you count that at Forest, which I probably wouldn't as they're both loans and they'll only keep one of them (if they stay up)

Bazunu has had a difficult season but doesn't belong in same conversation as Ward or the others.

Given it's the first time he's played at a level higher than League One and has been pretty terrible, I'd be curious as to why you're so sure of that.

Assuming you're suggesting he's better than the others listed, of course.

He was exceptional when he first became the Ireland keeper while at Pompey. Excellent shotstopper, powerful in his box and great feet. But his confidence is rattled of late in a terrible team, though you would have thought his experience in green playing behind the likes of Shane Duffy etc would have stood to him. Thought he could and probably should have saved Watkins header against us recently.

Offline Toronto Villa

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
That child in the Coca Cola YPF shirt has got phenomenal hair.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal