collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 513377 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner
« Reply #3105 on: February 10, 2023, 11:01:27 PM »
2. Players who have no loyalty to the clubs that make them superstars. Since 1998 we'd have won trophies if a few of the players we actually made proper stars of had shown us some damn loyalty and given us a couple of extra seasons.

In it for the money, same as most other professionals really. As long as they continue to give their all when at the club and not sulk if their moves don't come off (yes, Grealish, Jack), then I don't think we can complain that much.

Not that he's a superstar but I'd give Luiz a lot of credit for not sulking after his move to Arsenal fell through last summer. His performances have improved a lot since, despite Arsenal challenging strongly for the league during that time and since.

We have a huge summer ahead to show our ambition as a club under Emery to prospective new signings and also keeping the likes of Martinez, Kamara and Luiz sweet. I think we will struggle to keep Martinez in all honesty. The keeper at our feeder club is refusing to sign a new deal....

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3106 on: February 10, 2023, 11:48:04 PM »
2. Players who have no loyalty to the clubs that make them superstars. Since 1998 we'd have won trophies if a few of the players we actually made proper stars of had shown us some damn loyalty and given us a couple of extra seasons.

In it for the money, same as most other professionals really. As long as they continue to give their all when at the club and not sulk if their moves don't come off (yes, Grealish, Jack), then I don't think we can complain that much.

Not that he's a superstar but I'd give Luiz a lot of credit for not sulking after his move to Arsenal fell through last summer. His performances have improved a lot since, despite Arsenal challenging strongly for the league during that time and since.

We have a huge summer ahead to show our ambition as a club under Emery to prospective new signings and also keeping the likes of Martinez, Kamara and Luiz sweet. I think we will struggle to keep Martinez in all honesty. The keeper at our feeder club is refusing to sign a new deal....

Who’s that then?

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3107 on: February 10, 2023, 11:50:44 PM »
I would be very surprised if he’s still here after the summer.  I would be delighted - but can’t see it happening.  He’s one of the best keepers in the world - and we’re just not progressing fast enough.  Since Joe left we’ve huffed and puffed but don’t done anywhere near enough to take the chances in front of us. 

Hopefully now we’re in the right path - but it’s probably too little too late for a World Cup winning Goalkeeper. 

I really hope I’m wrong - and there is still a long way to go this season

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #3108 on: February 11, 2023, 12:39:47 AM »
Hopefully we are working behind the scenes and will have some deals done early in the summer for top players to prove we are progressing. Do it too late in the window and he might start thinking 'fuck it'. You can't blame him really, if I was one of the best keepers in the world then I would want to be in the champions league. If you read what he says in full about it then it comes across as understandable. He's not being a dick about it, he's just being honest.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3109 on: February 11, 2023, 12:42:43 AM »
Hopefully we are working behind the scenes and will have some deals done early in the summer for top players to prove we are progressing. Do it too late in the window and he might start thinking 'fuck it'. You can't blame him really, if I was one of the best keepers in the world then I would want to be in the champions league. If you read what he says in full about it then it comes across as understandable. He's not being a dick about it, he's just being honest.

Agree with all this.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3110 on: February 11, 2023, 03:16:55 AM »
What does he say in full? I don't speak French so I let the funky music do the talking.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #3111 on: February 11, 2023, 04:10:29 AM »

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3112 on: February 11, 2023, 05:29:50 AM »
I hope he stays, but if not, give us £150m.

Assuming he wants to go, can't say fairer than that for the best 'keeper in the world.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3113 on: February 11, 2023, 05:41:06 AM »
Seems pretty likely that he'll be sold in the summer - I've thought that since the world cup.  I'd imagine professional footballers have similar feelings to most people about their job / workplace - if they like the surroundings / their kids school, their boss or colleagues, their house etc, then all of that can play its part in them staying somewhere longer.  But ultimately, if they are offered a big pay rise and a chance to work with other, more talented people, then it must be really difficult to turn that down.  As much as it pisses fans off, if a boyhood super-fan, brummie captain who had been at the club since he was a little kid can be tempted away, we really shouldn't be surprised to see anybody less invested following suit. 

I'd much rather he stayed because he's a good goalkeeper and him staying would probably make signing other good players a bit easier, but if he does leave in the summer, so be it. 

I also do wonder what will happen with transfers fees with this Man City stuff.  If they are found guilty of financial doping, which seems highly likely, will fees for players become smaller?  If clubs can no longer splurge £100m on a player because FFP is actually being enforced, that will obviously have a knock on effect all down the line.  If fees decrease, it will make him leaving more likely.       

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3114 on: February 11, 2023, 06:34:32 AM »
Not the best keeper in the world, not the best ever at Villa. I always thought he will go and it’s fine if he does. £60/70M should be good.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3115 on: February 11, 2023, 06:43:31 AM »
Not the best keeper in the world, not the best ever at Villa. I always thought he will go and it’s fine if he does. £60/70M should be good.

Feel very much the same, mate.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #3116 on: February 11, 2023, 06:51:33 AM »

I’d actually argue he’s close to being the best keeper in the world right now. But sure, sell him and see how we go about replacing him. Should be easy, right?

Online FatSam

« Reply #3117 on: February 11, 2023, 07:05:12 AM »
The quotes are from a cover piece with France Football, out tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/FlorentTorchut/status/1624117358334816257

Wonder if a Villa badge has ever been on the front of that magazine before
Maybe when we won the European Cup?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3118 on: February 11, 2023, 07:23:18 AM »

I’m not really sure it’s “fine” when you sell your best players.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #3119 on: February 11, 2023, 07:32:36 AM »
Can't say I'm surprised really. He's probably the highest profile GK in the world right now and we havent exactly shown any ambition in the transfer market to convince him he can achieve things here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal