collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 463279 times)

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1965 on: August 01, 2022, 09:56:54 AM »
I have seen a lot on social media in particular saying that he should be sold but very little of anyone suggesting any alternative other than the usual ‘go get Tammy’ which is totally unrealistic without 70m+ and champions league football.

Any views on strikers who would improve the team?

Personally, I would like one of my striker options to be able to hold up a ball and also to be a decent threat in the air and wouldn’t be averse to selling Watkins or Ings to find that player, a sort of Keinan that could stay fit & finish better lol.  I would now be hugely surprised if Archer is loaned out, think the very average form shown in preseason by Watkins/Ings it’s quite possible by the World Cup break that Archer will be first choice.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1966 on: August 01, 2022, 10:16:48 AM »
11 goals last season with the front player(s) often isolated.
14 goals the season before when the team was set-up to play to his strengths.
Ollie will get replaced eventually no doubt (everybody does), but it'll have to be by someone who will consistently get more than 14/11 goals per season.
Strikers who are capable of getting 15+ goals a season are hard to come by and assuming we can find one with pl experience, who can hit the ground running why would they come to a
mid-table Villa who don't always play to the strengths of their strikers?

£$£$£$£$£$£$£$

But I think he's a good player, causing the opposition problems, his header to lay it off on Saturday was weighted perfectly mas an example.

I think it seems like he's a bit crap because his first touch can be a but wayward at times. I think he'll come good.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1967 on: August 01, 2022, 10:46:34 AM »
His goal scoring record is not the only problem, it is his continuing to give the ball away because his first touch is like a terrier chasing a ballon.
This also means his assists are very low.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1968 on: August 01, 2022, 11:27:51 AM »
11 goals last season with the front player(s) often isolated.
14 goals the season before when the team was set-up to play to his strengths.
Ollie will get replaced eventually no doubt (everybody does), but it'll have to be by someone who will consistently get more than 14/11 goals per season.
Strikers who are capable of getting 15+ goals a season are hard to come by and assuming we can find one with pl experience, who can hit the ground running why would they come to a
mid-table Villa who don't always play to the strengths of their strikers?

£$£$£$£$£$£$£$

But I think he's a good player, causing the opposition problems, his header to lay it off on Saturday was weighted perfectly mas an example.

I think it seems like he's a bit crap because his first touch can be a but wayward at times. I think he'll come good.

Not forgetting €€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1969 on: August 01, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »
Sell Ings, sell Luiz, sell Chukwuemeka, buy better player than Watkins.
Our net spend from last summer until now is £32m.

If we want another striker we shouldn't really HAVE to sell players to fund it.  I think the problem is finding one who is better and will come.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1970 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44:41 AM »
Sell Ings, sell Luiz, sell Chukwuemeka, buy better player than Watkins.
Our net spend from last summer until now is £32m.

If we want another striker we shouldn't really HAVE to sell players to fund it.  I think the problem is finding one who is better and will come.
No we shouldnt but the squad is too full of players that are not going to contribute enough.
But there is a shortage of strikers out there.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1971 on: August 01, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
It's unfortunate we have players who won't make the squad, but we shouldn't hold up our progress because we can't find anyone to pay ElGhazi's wages next season.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1972 on: August 01, 2022, 12:18:55 PM »
I doubt very much El Ghazi is on big money. He's on the same contract to when he signed. Obviously got an increase when we were promoted but I'd be amazed if he's on more than 40/45k.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1973 on: August 01, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
It's unfortunate we have players who won't make the squad, but we shouldn't hold up our progress because we can't find anyone to pay ElGhazi's wages next season.

I’m sure he and the other players considered surplus to requirements will find a club before the end of the window even if it’s only on loan.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1974 on: August 10, 2022, 09:15:08 AM »

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1975 on: August 10, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
If it's football insider it's almost certainly bullshit.  Articles written by kids paid per click.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1976 on: August 10, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »
Gerrard is being boss! The coaches can only take so many poor performances and lack of ruthlessness.
I believe we blew it by not selling him to West Ham for £50 million. Watkins' stock is at an all-time high right now, and if Gerrard believes he can't deliver, I trust Steven. I'm sure SG made some harsh remarks about his lack of finishing quality.
I've also seen many people on here believe Watkins, despite his work rate, lacks quality.

Watkins, at the end of the day, is a Smith man. Along with Archer, Ings, with his experience and less sulky attitude, may be more reliable for actually coming up with goals.
Watkins has his advantages, but perhaps the 6 months aren't enough to convince he's our striker and should be starting this season. Indeed it wasn't

Gerrard has both Mings and Watkins, two low-level starting off career players who have risen to the higher echelons of the game, who are about to be left out in the cold. Perhaps his standards are too high for complacent footballers who need to be challenged and who lack the winning mentality that Gerrard possessed as a player.

Its Roy Keane manager vibes but it's shades of how SG is and that's admirable mindset. Though I suspect the communications to players in blunt honesty being less admirable at times regards telling them they are lacking in quality. 

Since SG has been here, he has publicly stated and implied that players' quality is off. As a result, one can only speculate as to what he does actually say directly to them , and some players may find it difficult to accept that and  at times how they are spoken to.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:37:05 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1977 on: August 10, 2022, 09:42:10 AM »
I seem to remember Ron Saunders falling out with crowd favourites, Andy Gray, Gidman etc.. thankfully no social media back in those days or most on here would be backing the players and not the Manager

The Manager is paid to make decisions, some the players will like, other decisions will upset a few.

Gerrard is not leaving our club, Purslow and the owners will continue to back him, if Watkins, Mings and others do not like the way they are being treated they can always ask to leave.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1978 on: August 10, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »
I seem to remember Ron Saunders falling out with crowd favourites, Andy Gray, Gidman etc.. thankfully no social media back in those days or most on here would be backing the players and not the Manager

The Manager is paid to make decisions, some the players will like, other decisions will upset a few.

Gerrard is not leaving our club, Purslow and the owners will continue to back him, if Watkins, Mings and others do not like the way they are being treated they can always ask to leave.

Great point on Saunders.
I've only since read and watched regards him and our winning team from back then but it seemed he obviously was someone who knew how to lead and manage a group of players successfully. And only wanted players who were fully on board. As well as like all managers making their statement and showing who's boss.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:50:22 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1979 on: August 10, 2022, 09:48:54 AM »
Something that tends to help managers get the fans on side is winning matches or showing some ability to manage. Who Gerrard picks is up to him, not the players, but signs he might actually be good at making those decisions would quieten some of the moans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal