collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:45:56 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:36:48 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 466644 times)

Online ez

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1935 on: July 27, 2022, 12:03:35 PM »
I think he's actually a really good finisher from crosses, his movement is really good in that aspect. If we get the right service to him those positions he'll score plenty and we've got the players to do it.

But so can Archer, and he's also far, far better when put through. Watkins is a lot stronger though so can probably give himself more chances through that, and his movement is good too.

For me, start with Watkins but if he's underwhelming give Archer is start, with some minutes off the bench first.

Ings is weaker than both and only comes off the bench for now.
Spot on.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1936 on: July 27, 2022, 01:51:20 PM »
I think he's actually a really good finisher from crosses, his movement is really good in that aspect. If we get the right service to him those positions he'll score plenty and we've got the players to do it.

But so can Archer, and he's also far, far better when put through. Watkins is a lot stronger though so can probably give himself more chances through that, and his movement is good too.

For me, start with Watkins but if he's underwhelming give Archer is start, with some minutes off the bench first.

Spot on.

Agreed also

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1937 on: July 31, 2022, 11:12:34 AM »
Another worrying performance, he seems to be getting worse.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1938 on: July 31, 2022, 11:31:24 AM »

Spot on.

Agreed also

LeeB is correct about Ollie, particularly the point about service (which is why I'd like to see Buendia starting). He's a proven pl goalscorer and will coninue to score goals.
Regarding Cam I don't know him well enough to know if he can make the transition into pl striker without easing his way in as back-up first. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him progressing for us 

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1939 on: July 31, 2022, 11:50:23 AM »
You might all be right but that headed effort yesterday was woeful beyond. He even looked a tad embarrassed himself.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1940 on: July 31, 2022, 12:11:15 PM »
His control of the ball, general hold up play, finishing is very poor and has been for at least a season. Not sure what is wrong with Ollie. But it's just not happening for him.  It's hard to see how we progress with Ollie at number 9 if this form continues.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1941 on: July 31, 2022, 12:26:55 PM »
You might all be right but that headed effort yesterday was woeful beyond. He even looked a tad embarrassed himself.

I think he felt the need to add power to it so was concentrating more on a big connection rather than hitting the target, I don't think it was anything like as good a chance as some have suggested, he probably should've hit the target but I can understand what he was trying to do.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1942 on: July 31, 2022, 02:01:35 PM »

I think he felt the need to add power to it so was concentrating more on a big connection rather than hitting the target, I don't think it was anything like as good a chance as some have suggested, he probably should've hit the target but I can understand what he was trying to do.

Well presumably he was trying to get it on target, but fluffed it miserably. He had two excellent chances yesterday but his well-documented limitations meant both were spurned. His first touch is abysmal.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1943 on: July 31, 2022, 02:08:28 PM »

Well presumably he was trying to get it on target, but fluffed it miserably. He had two excellent chances yesterday but his well-documented limitations meant both were spurned. His first touch is abysmal.

It's weird, I had no concerns about his touch in his first season. Not the velvet touch of Grealish but more than good enough with his all round game.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1944 on: July 31, 2022, 02:13:31 PM »

It's weird, I had no concerns about his touch in his first season. Not the velvet touch of Grealish but more than good enough with his all round game.

I may be misremembering due to the deep frustration I had with him last season, but I don't think he took a first touch the season he arrived. He just finished first-time.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1945 on: July 31, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »
With his finishing yes, but his hold up play was good too, he looked like a proper, all round centre forward, strong at everything rather than outstanding in one aspect.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1946 on: July 31, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »
It's been reported that he's been using a finishing coach this summer. Doesn't seem to be having too much of a positive effect.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1947 on: July 31, 2022, 02:30:50 PM »
It's been reported that he's been using a finishing coach this summer. Doesn't seem to be having too much of a positive effect.
But his dining table has a lovely shine to it.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1948 on: July 31, 2022, 02:34:14 PM »

Austin McPhee will call himself anything to stay in a job.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1949 on: July 31, 2022, 02:55:43 PM »
I think Watkins is probably essential to Gerrard's way of playing. He runs, runs, and runs. He presses from the front like few others. He's a striker you'd expect to hit low double figures, and potentially crack past 15.

Do we need an upgrade for top 6? Probably. My main thought though, is that it's probably easier to work on Watkins' touch and composure in the final third, and his positioning in the box than it is to find a replacement who does his good things and improves his weaknesses. The trouble with finding good strikers is, there are so few of the mythical 20 goal forwards. The proven ones cost more than even we might pay right now. Abraham has his flaws for example, and he'd improve us, but he'd cost about 40-50 (maybe more) and would more likely go to a champions league/Europa side.

So yeah, we either need better or we need Watkins to improve. I'm not gonna get too concerned about pre-season. Most of the side will need a month of real games to get into the swing properly. I'd say we might actually have an advantage from having sorted out transfers early too.

For all his weaknesses, he's still too good to dismiss just yet. We will know better next summer. If he's been a bit found out and can't hit double figures, then we have to look at selling then. He's got enough credit in the bank to be number 9. I also think we probably need to be patient with the long term goals. 10-8th this season is good and doable as things stand. 7th and beyond is very unlikely. The striker who makes a difference to get us there, might be out there, but we either gamble on an unknown entity, or find someone proven. Top 6 strikers generally go to top six sides however.

Ollie came as an unknown. In recent years he's arguably the best who's come up from the championship having netted 14 then 11 in two seasons. We're far more likely to get another Wesley than we are Watkins, if we take a gamble from a lower league. A Benteke? Gold dust. Work on and work with what we have.

Ings conversely, could be replaced given his age and his style of play. That way we can potentially gamble on a rival for Watkins. Then said player either wins the starting spot, or doesn't. Additionally, we need JJ to contribute 5-10 goals, McGinn to improve his tally, and Philendia to get 10-15 between them, as well as a similar number in assists. If Bailey comes good, he'll contribute too. Communal goal sharing is the way forward in the modern game, more than having 1-2 20 goal strikers in your side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal