collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 466366 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1920 on: July 22, 2022, 04:23:34 PM »
Yep that's a pretty terrible comparison.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1921 on: July 22, 2022, 04:32:08 PM »
Ollie is more of a Sheringham than a Shearer. We need a ruthless finisher. As those are as rare as an FA cup win we may have to wait on Archer developing.
except that Sherringham was excellent at controlling and passing a football.
And wasn't particulalry quick and pretty much played nothing like Ollie at all.

ha ha not the best analogy ever

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1922 on: July 22, 2022, 04:54:26 PM »

It's a fairly irrelevant comparison anyway, as Sheringham always played with two up front and those days have gone out with phones that have Snake on them.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1923 on: July 22, 2022, 05:02:27 PM »

It's a fairly irrelevant comparison anyway, as Sheringham always played with two up front and those days have gone out with phones that have Snake on them.

Apart from bits of last season, obvs.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1924 on: July 23, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »
Honestly you lot….full of your deep punditry. My point which you all missed due to lack of intelligence obviously was that he is never going to be the main man.😀

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1925 on: July 23, 2022, 10:27:07 AM »
I think I know what your getting at Aftab.  Ollie is a 1 in three striker.  If we have real hopes of breaking the top six, we need someone more lethal.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1926 on: July 24, 2022, 09:50:51 AM »
I think that's why he plays two up top. The problem is that system doesn't really work these days.

A three perhaps, but that means shifting Watkins out to the side a bit, in the way that Mane and Salah did for Liverpool with Firmino in the middle. And therein lies the difference, our players aren't as good as that.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1927 on: July 24, 2022, 09:54:26 AM »
I think that's why he plays two up top. The problem is that system doesn't really work these days.

A three perhaps, but that means shifting Watkins out to the side a bit, in the way that Mane and Salah did for Liverpool with Firmino in the middle. And therein lies the difference, our players aren't as good as that.

Watkins can't play that role though. He's tried, and just can't do it.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1928 on: July 24, 2022, 09:59:04 AM »

That's where he played for Brentford though isn't it? . I think he looks better when cutting in from outwide.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1929 on: July 24, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »
We can’t play 2 up front end of. Our three best players are emi, Phil and Bailey (assuming the version yesterday)

These 3 are heads above Ings and Watkins and as such we shouldn’t be trying to get them both in, on the off chance one of them isnt shit that day. 

I think Watkins is good,  but the way we play doesn’t suit him - he does well with cut backs - we rarely do that - but I think he would benefit more from having Bailey in the team than ings

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1930 on: July 24, 2022, 10:05:57 AM »

That's where he played for Brentford though isn't it? . I think he looks better when cutting in from outwide.
Against 2nd Division  defences though.
Has never looked comfortable out wide for us.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #1931 on: July 25, 2022, 11:51:50 AM »

Well that's where we agree. He's not as good as either of the two I mentioned, and having done it at a lower level, doesn't seem able to do it in the Premier League. Which is odd. He's good player, and I think (hope?) he'll be better this season and more like his first. As things stand, there are no excuses for anyone this season. We've had a good pre-season, players haven't got injuries, we've made great signings.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1932 on: July 26, 2022, 10:14:17 AM »

Well that's where we agree. He's not as good as either of the two I mentioned, and having done it at a lower level, doesn't seem able to do it in the Premier League. Which is odd. He's good player, and I think (hope?) he'll be better this season and more like his first. As things stand, there are no excuses for anyone this season. We've had a good pre-season, players haven't got injuries, we've made great signings.

Completely agree. There are no excuses for anybody now. Everybody's had a full pre-season, including the manager, and new signings were all done early. No departures of note, so now everybody has to hit the ground running. Watkins could be starting in front of a 3 of Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey. For any striker that has to be an exciting prospect, surely? A mixture of pace, trickery and passing.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #1933 on: July 26, 2022, 01:14:46 PM »
Yep, any striker worth their salt has to be happy with the potential supply line. When you consider Ings, Traore, Ramsey, Luiz, McGinn, Digne and Cash are all their and can supply good passes and crosses, we should be set.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1934 on: July 26, 2022, 06:50:19 PM »
I think he's actually a really good finisher from crosses, his movement is really good in that aspect. If we get the right service to him those positions he'll score plenty and we've got the players to do it.

But so can Archer, and he's also far, far better when put through. Watkins is a lot stronger though so can probably give himself more chances through that, and his movement is good too.

For me, start with Watkins but if he's underwhelming give Archer is start, with some minutes off the bench first.

Ings is weaker than both and only comes off the bench for now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal