collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431577 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #585 on: December 18, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »
It’s very difficult to judge if he is making the right runs from TV. His hold up play was good, he kept wanting the ball, he has good first touch. A huge upgrade on Wes.
Think we need to be a bit more patient, not his fault we did not score from 27 attempts.

While I would agree he is an huge upgrade on any striker we had last season, that's a very low benchmark in any case. We should be expecting a lot more than that. I think he has been poor in the last three games but particularly last night. I thought he held onto the ball far too long out wide and was dispossessed on a number of occasions. Thought his touch was poor and the ball seemed to be getting stuck under his feet a lot. Maybe he got frustrated with lack of service, or with Burnley so deep there was little space in behind, but by coming so deep or drifting wide that was just what they wanted.

He does seem to prefer quicker crosses from wide areas and the likes of Grealish, McGinn, Traore or AEG are always going to take an extra touch. He needs to adapt his game a bit as a result and be a bit more patient Vardy style.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #586 on: December 18, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
Think he looks very decent. What i like about him is he is always making the right run [as much as you can tell from the TV]. There were times last night when he was running down the centre spot toward the goal as the shot was being taken, he was looking for the cross or the rebound. He's moved up a level, against extremely physical defenders, over the last few games. He's done well and is full of energy. We have a real diamond there although maybe not the finished article quite yet. The team need to learn to play to his strengths and he will score a lot more. FFS he's scored as many goals as the whole of the Burnley team this season.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #587 on: December 18, 2020, 11:32:44 AM »
The supply wasn't good last night. Downside of inverted wingers and Emo's crosses weren't what he can do. He still had one that he deflected towards goal and Lowton had got back onto the line to clear it. He must still be one of the most mobile strikers in the league and he's close control is really good.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #588 on: December 18, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
I think he's a cracking player. Runs all day long, wants the ball everywhere, can win it in the air, keep it with his back to goal, can hold it up on the ground and bring others into player, is very quick, can get round the back of the last man, can pass, can shoot - with both feet - can head, gets into superb positions. He must be a right handful for any defence. He's been superb for us so far and will only get better. Keep it up, Ollie.

Agree, great potential, it’s his first season in the PL in very odd circumstances. He’s constantly on the move and scored some great goals already and will continue to. I think a bit more patience is needed on here sometimes. Well played Ollie keep up the good work.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #589 on: December 18, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
I remember somebody, no names mentioned, descibed him as "lazy" during the transfer saga.  That's so far from the mark as to be hilarious.  A more willing runner I can't remember from our strikers.  The lad is still learning his trade and will be excellent. 

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #590 on: December 18, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
He's very good. But he needs genuine competition, and in my opinion, from a more experienced striker. You look at Chelsea. They have Werner, Abraham and Giroud. That's a great mix of a talent, ability, style, experience. Now I don't expect us to be attracting that level of talent at this point, but we need greater options when our main forward isn't at his best, or as will happen the team isn't operating to get him the ball or simply the opponents have neutralized his main strengths. Bringing on Keinan Davis isn't remotely the answer.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:06:14 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #591 on: December 19, 2020, 09:59:41 AM »
It’s very difficult to judge if he is making the right runs from TV. His hold up play was good, he kept wanting the ball, he has good first touch. A huge upgrade on Wes.
Think we need to be a bit more patient, not his fault we did not score from 27 attempts.

I think this is right.
It seems to me that he also does a lot of the hard graft that isn’t also immediately noticeable unless your looking out for it. He never stops moving, and I think an earlier comment on here that Burnley’s defenders had an easy night with him, is very wide of the mark. I think every defence he’s come against know they’ve been in a game. He does exactly what Wes, Davis or Samatta didn’t do last season, run the line, move between the defenders, making them have to think all the time.
One comment I do agree with, is if Grealish doesn’t play him in when he should, like on Thursday or against Leeds, he should be screaming at him, so even Jack knows for next time.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #592 on: December 19, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
Yeah, I think there might be an element of being in deference to some of his teammates. Needs to be less shy and more demanding from them.

I agree.  It might come in time but I suspect he might just be that type of character.  the fact he didn’t take penalties at Brentford suggests he doesn’t seek to stand out and be the boss.  Hopefully that sort of arrogance will come as he finds his feet in this league.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #593 on: December 19, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
I think he's been really good overall and if his two had gone in against West Ham (and let's face it, he was robbed of one) he'd be on 8 by now but 6 is  a decent enough return. As ever with some people, a player has a quiet or less effective game or two and get's singled out. There were people on here a month or so back who wanted Barkley dropped. As for comparing him as Hoganesque, that was just nonsense.

Give him time, we've may have found a gem.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #594 on: December 19, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
I think Ollie’s all round game is very good, and love the way he can intercept and quickly control the ball.  If El Ghazi hadn’t chosen to shoot on sight every time he was played in vs Burnley, and instead picked out Watkins (who was in good positions), I’m confident he would have converted at least one chance.

As always, we will only see the best of him if we continue to add more quality to the squad.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #595 on: December 19, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »
Mane has now scored as many goals as Watkins.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #596 on: December 19, 2020, 01:19:42 PM »
I think Ollie’s all round game is very good, and love the way he can intercept and quickly control the ball.  If El Ghazi hadn’t chosen to shoot on sight every time he was played in vs Burnley, and instead picked out Watkins (who was in good positions), I’m confident he would have converted at least one chance.

As always, we will only see the best of him if we continue to add more quality to the squad.

Don't just single out El Ghazi. Grealish should have picked him out with a pass also.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #597 on: December 19, 2020, 02:48:00 PM »
Mane has now scored as many goals as Watkins.

And is considered one of the best in the league.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #598 on: December 19, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »
He's been good so far.  Inconsistent as you'd expect from a young player from the Championship, but at his best he hasn't looked out of place.  If we had another striker, he could play in one of the wider attacking spots in place of the underwhelming Trez/El Ghazi/Traore.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #599 on: December 19, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
When he does interviews, he comes across as a bright lad. That shows in the way he plays. His movement is very intelligent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal