collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431293 times)

Offline Nii Lamptey

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #570 on: December 18, 2020, 08:08:07 AM »
Harsh words on here regarding Ollie - Service from El Ghazi and Traore was garbage. Personally, I think he's trying too hard.

His performances have been very hot and cold, I'll give you that. He looked a world beater against Liverpool and Arsenal, but has struggled against supposed lesser opponents - Which I find strange seeing as he should be used to that after years in the lower leagues.

I think he'll come good - But we desperately need another striker to relieve the pressure on his shoulders. *And thinking back to the general consensus on here, I don't think Wesley is the answer!

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #571 on: December 18, 2020, 08:16:27 AM »
I'm gonna be recklessly optimistic and say that Watkins and Wesley will form one of those fortuitous partnerships where everything clicks. And because this is the Villa, Watkins will then get a long term injury.

The last bit is typical Villa but I think you are right.  Wesley might thrive with this creativity around him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #572 on: December 18, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »
I expected more from a 24 year old playing his first 11 games in the top flight, with a goal return of more than 1 in 2.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #573 on: December 18, 2020, 08:56:39 AM »
It seems to me Barkley is the one player Watkins has missed more than most. Barkley playing in that advanced role with little to no defensive duties seems to favour Ollie, as he then has someone to work off and share the burden of opposition centre backs.

Online Clampy

« Reply #574 on: December 18, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
I thought his performance last night was awful - i cant remember him having a decent game since Arsenal away (and that was only the 2nd half) if the only way he can play is within the penalty area - then he is not a centre forward

For £33 million (that is the most expensive buy in Villa's history) I expected far more, especially when he has probably one of the most creative players in the country playing just behind him in Grealish

The Burnley centre halves last night would have barely broken sweat marking him - he needs to improve his game in lots of areas - hopefully on Sunday he will score and that will boost his confidence.

6 goals in 11 games  in his first season in the top division and you expected far more? There's just no pleasing some people.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #575 on: December 18, 2020, 09:06:21 AM »
I think he needs to add some aggression and bite into his game. I want to see him screaming for the pass when he’s wide open in the six yard box. Both Jack and El Ghazi could’ve squared to him last night for a tap in. The repays showed that he was content for them to take on the finish.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #576 on: December 18, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »
Jesus. He's doing just fine.

We had 27 shots last night, so even if he isn't the one in the end he's causing problems that give others opportunities. His running is great and he's scored a better ratio than anyone we've had for years. Early days but in a couple of years I reckon there will be calls saying he should be playing for England.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #577 on: December 18, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »
Yeah, I think there might be an element of being in deference to some of his teammates. Needs to be less shy and more demanding from them.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #578 on: December 18, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »
It’s very difficult to judge if he is making the right runs from TV. His hold up play was good, he kept wanting the ball, he has good first touch. A huge upgrade on Wes.
Think we need to be a bit more patient, not his fault we did not score from 27 attempts.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #579 on: December 18, 2020, 09:30:02 AM »
I think he's a cracking player. Runs all day long, wants the ball everywhere, can win it in the air, keep it with his back to goal, can hold it up on the ground and bring others into player, is very quick, can get round the back of the last man, can pass, can shoot - with both feet - can head, gets into superb positions. He must be a right handful for any defence. He's been superb for us so far and will only get better. Keep it up, Ollie.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #580 on: December 18, 2020, 09:31:05 AM »
Also, we won't be playing Burnley every week, where it's constantly like the chariot scene from Ben Hur in their box.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #581 on: December 18, 2020, 09:35:47 AM »
It’s very difficult to judge if he is making the right runs from TV. His hold up play was good, he kept wanting the ball, he has good first touch. A huge upgrade on Wes.
Think we need to be a bit more patient, not his fault we did not score from 27 attempts.

I agree with you and wasn’t claiming he was at fault. I was being constructive in my criticism hoping he can improve further, which he definitely can.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #582 on: December 18, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »
Also, we won't be playing Burnley every week, where it's constantly like the chariot scene from Ben Hur in their box.

Ha ha! Great description, BE.

There was a moment in the first half, they had a corner I think, which ended with a free-kick and four players on the floor, and I said to my lad, 'there's a scene you only get in a Burnley game'.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #583 on: December 18, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
I think he's a cracking player. Runs all day long, wants the ball everywhere, can win it in the air, keep it with his back to goal, can hold it up on the ground and bring others into player, is very quick, can get round the back of the last man, can pass, can shoot - with both feet - can head, gets into superb positions. He must be a right handful for any defence. He's been superb for us so far and will only get better. Keep it up, Ollie.

And never, ever stops pressing the keeper, which looks like the shittest task in football to me. But then I was a midfield stroller.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #584 on: December 18, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »
Has done well so far and I like that even if things aren't quite working out for him, he is still a real nuisance up there.  It's still his first season in the top flight though and he probably would have been been helped by having someone who could ease the burden a bit.  Last night was the first time this season where I thought he looked like he could do with a bit of a break to allow him to come back absolutely firing again. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal