collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431508 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2020, 07:29:12 AM »
Deano knows what he's doing he's looked at things and got his appropriate striker.
Last season we needed a centre forward to score from all those chances  Grealish created -2nd most in league after KDB.

Ollie Watkins scored  26 goals last season.
Expected goals XG  :25 goals
Watkins outperformed his XG.

Last season Watkins displayed outstanding finishing ability. Scoring every chance expected of him +1! 
In the centre forward role he's shown to take his chances.

So basically if we create chances OW will be expected to score- literally!

Are you sure about that XG stat footy?  I heard the Villa analytics guy off twitter on a podcast a while back and he said Watkins xg last year was 36, so he underperformed.  He spun it as a good thing as it showed ho much more potential to improve he has
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:36:14 AM by chrisw1 »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
https://www.infogol.net/en/player/ollie-watkins/16309

Appears Vill I An is right Chris.

I do like that at the bottom of that stat is the form of Brentfords next opponent.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »
Ok thanks.  I’ll try to find out which episode it was as the guy was very positive about Watkins and talked about him in detail, so it may be of interest to some.  It was on the ‘For the Love of Paul McGrath’ podcast

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2020, 07:44:53 AM »
This is the pod, sorry for the long link I’m on my phone.  It’s episode 75 of the love of Paul McGrath poor dcast

https://fortheloveofpaulmcgrath.podbean.com/e/%F0%9F%8Evillaanalytics-is-back-to-chat-about-what-advanced-analytics-are-how-ollie-watkins-looks-through-that-lens%99%F0%9F%8E/

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2020, 07:46:08 AM »
There appears to be a positive write up about him in the Times today but behind the paywall.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2020, 08:07:28 AM »
The Brentford fans seem to say he works extremely hard, is good in the air and with both feet and has pace.

All sounds very promising.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2020, 08:29:55 AM »
Don't think anyone knows how he will turn out. You cant judge a players chances of success at the prem by  the championship anymore than you can judge a player from the Belgium 1st division and i heard the same arguments last summer. All we know is Smith has bet the farm on him, and in 12 months time, he'll either be gone or people will be aiming plaudits at him for buying a player no-one else would gamble on.

place your bets now....
Smith has worked with him in the past at Brentford, and also been fairly knowledgeable about his career before that having presumably had some influence / prior knowledge to Brentford signing him. Any transfer's a gamble, but in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty safe one. He'll know exactly what he can offer, and what his attitude's like. Even if we have overpaid for him, it's worthwhile because it's still cheaper than buying 2x £15m players from abroad and hoping that one hits the ground running (or a £10m and £20m player in Wes & Samatta's case).

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2020, 08:34:38 AM »
If he scores us 15-20 goals this season, he'll be priceless.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2020, 08:55:53 AM »
I wonder what odds you can get on him scoring 25 goals plus next season??

Half our problem last season was pure wastefulness of chances. See El Ghazi vs Everton, Samatta in his debut, Davis vs Arsenal etc... I reckon if we put our mind to it, we could name at least 20 very good squandered chances last season. If we scored at least half of those, I doubt we would have been in the position we were in the end - El Ghazi vs Everton being a great example. If that goes in, it’s 3 more points and we go into the last day safely.

We were creating chances, we just weren’t clinical.

With Watkins being another Abraham type goal scorer, I genuinely have hope that we might have found that particular missing piece of the puzzle. What I’m saying is that with a more clinical finisher, we would have been pushing more towards mid table.

Our next piece of the puzzle is Defence. It improved post lockdown quite considerably - do I have confidence that this is solved yet? No. But I think it’s a work in progress and the experience Last seasons of both Mings and Konsa will have helped greatly. We concede less of those last minute goals, our league position will be much better. How many points did we lose in the last 10 minutes last season?? Far too many...

The final piece for me will be the wingers. I don’t believe El Ghazi is good enough, although I really wish he was. Even in the Championship, he blew hot and cold. He was exceptional against the Baggies but bang average in many other games.
Trezeguet has a cunning knack of being in the right place at the right time, so I believe he’s worth a punt next season. I’m convinced there is a player in there and that he’ll be much better this season. In reality, I’d take one more winger on balance to help provide the chances for Watkins.

On balance though, I believe Watkins will prove your be a very astute and positive signing for us. We continue setting up those chances next season, and have learnt the lessons from last season too, we will do better this year. It’s a lot of money for an unproven striker in the Premier League, but until last season, Abraham hadn’t done much either.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »
Looks a good buy to me. Can play out wide or through the centre, from what I’ve seen works hard closing down (which was a big criticism of Wesley and Samatta), is acclimatised to English football and has scored goals throughout his career. He’s 24 so young enough to to improve.

£28 million rising to £33 million if he’s a success? Heres to paying £33 million.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
I'm not sure there's that much pressure with the price tag. It's just what happens these days. When you look at the money the really top players go for in comparison he's cheap.

I like that he'll be able to play on his own or to the side of someone else. Think of Davis' hold up play and someone like Watkins with pace connecting with him. Could be brilliant.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2020, 09:08:26 AM »
https://www.infogol.net/en/player/ollie-watkins/16309

Appears Vill I An is right Chris.

I do like that at the bottom of that stat is the form of Brentfords next opponent.
Only made 50% of his expected assists - get rid now!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »
I just wonder if he's got the all round game to be a success in the Premier League.  I've not seen lots of him play, but from the video of all his goals last season, 90% of them seem to be tap ins from good work from the rest of the Brentford team, against some dodgy Championship defending.  We've had our fingers burnt buying a Brentford player who just scored tap ins in the past, so is this going to be different?  Please tell me it is!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2020, 09:17:04 AM »
It is.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »
It is. I've seen him in the flesh a couple of times and he's quality. Plus I'm always wrong so nothing to worry about!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal