collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431401 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1485 on: January 24, 2022, 09:32:19 AM »
I think what we needed to do re:cover/competition for Watkins was either buy somebody less experienced and happy to understudy him (Edouard from Celtic maybe?) or someone clearly better than him to go straight in the team - Tammy. To me Ings and Ollie are very much on a level.

Another couple of goals for Tammy yesterday in a 4-2 Roma away win. 15 goals in all comps this season.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:49:01 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #1486 on: January 24, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
I think what we needed to do re:cover/competition for Watkins was either buy somebody less experienced and happy to understudy him (Edouard from Celtic maybe?) or someone clearly better than him to go straight in the team - Tammy. To me Ings and Ollie are very much on a level.

Another couple of goals for Tammy yesterday in a 4-2 Roma away win. 15 goals in all comps this season.

Edouard plays for Palace now.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1487 on: January 24, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »

Edouard plays for Palace now.

Yeah, I was on about about what we should have done.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1488 on: January 24, 2022, 10:02:12 AM »
I think Tammy would have been a good one - IMO we should have signed him rather than Ings

Same issue though, Watkins and Abraham can't play in a two.

Watkins has had a poor first half of the season but has been a victim of poor tactical decisions by management. He can still finish strong. Both Kane and Lukaku only have 5 goals each aswell. It's Watkins all round game that worries me, his effort to try and slide that ball past Pickford was pub league. Someone like Dwight Yorke in the past would have side stepped past Pickford and passed the ball into an empty net.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1489 on: January 24, 2022, 10:05:31 AM »
I think Tammy would have been a good one - IMO we should have signed him rather than Ings

Watkins has had a poor first half of the season but has been a victim of poor tactical decisions by management. He can still finish strong. Both Kane and Lukaku only have 5 goals each aswell. It's Watkins all round game that worries me, his effort to try and slide that ball past Pickford was pub league. Someone like Dwight Yorke in the past would have side stepped past Pickford and passed the ball into an empty net.

That is what worries me about him. You are right, he's been shoehorned into some strange set ups, but I am not sure that explains him missing so many chances.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1490 on: January 24, 2022, 10:07:15 AM »

Lukaku's only started 11 games though.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #1491 on: January 24, 2022, 11:15:48 AM »

That is what worries me about him. You are right, he's been shoehorned into some strange set ups, but I am not sure that explains him missing so many chances.

For all the hard graft that he puts in chasing down the channels, my issue with Watkins is he never seems to look up to see if there are better options around him. He seems to of resorted lately to a 'leather it and hope for the best' mentality.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1492 on: January 24, 2022, 11:47:18 AM »
He's had a dip in form that's for certain but I still believe.  That goal he scored v Brighton was a strikers goal so he does have it in him.  I also think that Ings alongside him has made him adjust his game and that's had a bearing on his natural role. His touch and decision making has always been a bit suspect,  Sometimes very good but sometimes poor but covered up by his constant effort and that's good enough for where we are now.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1493 on: January 24, 2022, 12:17:37 PM »
He's had a dip in form that's for certain but I still believe.  That goal he scored v Brighton was a strikers goal so he does have it in him.  I also think that Ings alongside him has made him adjust his game and that's had a bearing on his natural role. His touch and decision making has always been a bit suspect,  Sometimes very good but sometimes poor but covered up by his constant effort and that's good enough for where we are now.

This for me, give him a few more games in the formation as it was Saturday, against a team not playing rollerball, and he'll be like new.

Still thought I was noticeable again when he went off we couldn't get the ball to stay up the pitch. If there is a question mark about Watkins, the answer is not Danny Ings.

Offline ez

« Reply #1494 on: January 24, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »
I'm not too worried about Ollie. He's going through some bad form for sure but I'm far more concerned about Danny Ings. He's shocking at the moment. You can easily forget he's on the pitch. This is a bigger problem.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #1495 on: January 24, 2022, 01:15:22 PM »
What alarmed me was the easy header he missed when in an offside position. Very poor finish but more alarming was being 2 yards offside when he could easily see the defensive line.

More focus required but am convinced he will come good again.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1496 on: January 24, 2022, 01:16:47 PM »
Ings needs to go unfortunately. Good player just not at all what we need. Surely Burnley would give us most of our money back for him this month. Not all their fault but Ings and Chucky hardly got a kick when they came on at the weekend.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #1497 on: January 24, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »
What worries me most about Watkins is that he may have over-performed last season entirely because of Joe.

He is clearly trying too hard currently and the end result of that is bad decisions and poor finishing. Maybe a new top striker coming straight into the team would take the pressure off and allow him to revert to the old Ollie that we know and love.

Sadly, Ings looks like a fish out of water.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1498 on: January 24, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
Watkins had a great first season in the top division. This there's been a lot of disruption and he's not on top form. Let's not write him off though please. He's a top young striker, developing and learning and with anew set up. It takes time for everything to click.

Remember too that we've had to strengthen our defence with the new manager and that will also have disrupted him.

We're too quick to write people off sometimes.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #1499 on: January 24, 2022, 01:40:22 PM »
Ings needs to go unfortunately. Good player just not at all what we need. Surely Burnley would give us most of our money back for him this month. Not all their fault but Ings and Chucky hardly got a kick when they came on at the weekend.

I'd personally keep Ings, but make him know he's second choice. The 2 of them cannot player together that's for sure. It's tough on Watkins playing him out wide out of position.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal