collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45601 times)

Offline colin69

Re: Next manager
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
As much as I think Dean should go I would be very surprised if it happened now. I think it only buys him a bit more time but who knows.
Peoples health at this time is far more important.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
It would show a serious lack of class to use a global health crisis as a good opportunity to sack a manager.

Luckily, we’ll do nothing of the sort.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »
With McGinn fit again by the time our next match comes (April, June, October, 2021) we'll win every match and everything will be fine.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »
Why? I would have thought there would be plenty of time for a new manager to settle in.

Because there’s no point bringing anyone in when there’s no football and probably no players coming into work.

If the stand out candidate is out there in the wings then yes but if it’s a makeshift choice like terry or BS then it’s pointless.

I agree it’s putting off the inevitable but balanced against no football being played, now is probably not the best time.
This is an opportunity - bring in Pochettino and give him 3-4 weeks to get this squad knocked into shape ...
Training will be suspended before you know it.

Don't kid yourself that the Villa squad will be virus proof.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
I don't want Smith out but if he has to go I would have thought now would be the perfect time to allow a new manager a mini pre-season.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »
It would show a serious lack of class to use a global health crisis as a good opportunity to sack a manager.

If we had postponments simply due to the weather, then with the next 2 weekends free already, it definitely would have been a good time for a new manager to step in and I believe the club should have taken steps before now.

However, you're right as it certainly would not look very good if that were to happen now.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »

Not really.  The decision may have already been made to sack him after Chelsea.  If they had a decent replacement lined up then carrying that through wouldn't be a lack of class at all.

Again I don't want him gone, but if they've got a sensible plan it shouldn't stop them.

But if the plan was JT or <shudder> Big Sam, then yes it would be pointless - would be better to see if the season is abandoned or not.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
Fat Sam. Keep us up and bore our way to 11th or 10th.

Imagine a season that is just boring. When was the last one we had where we weren't trying to stop up, trying to get promoted, trying for Champions League or not sacking managers left right and centre?

It must have been O'Neill's first season.

Right now I would happily take boring our way to 10th or 11th. After that, once we are settled in with our squad deeper with more hardened PL level players bring in someone to push us on again. And as an aside, I actually don't think his sides were as boring as it made out. This is the same bloke who had a number of talented and exciting players while at Bolton. Believe me in a perfect world I'd never be advocating for boring and 10th, but short of Nuno leaving Wolves with Mendes or someone else truly outstanding that could address the current situation I'd take safety and becoming established again as the first goal.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2020, 02:39:35 PM »

Imagine a season that is just boring. When was the last one we had where we weren't trying to stop up, trying to get promoted, trying for Champions League or not sacking managers left right and centre?

Right now I would happily take boring our way to 10th or 11th. After that, once we are settled in with our squad deeper with more hardened PL level players bring in someone to push us on again. And as an aside, I actually don't think his sides were as boring as it made out. This is the same bloke who had a number of talented and exciting players while at Bolton. Believe me in a perfect world I'd never be advocating for boring and 10th, but short of Nuno leaving Wolves with Mendes or someone else truly outstanding that could address the current situation I'd take safety and becoming established again as the first goal.

Bolton was a long time ago, his reputation for dull football has grown with every job since the. If we do end up deciding to make a change why on earth should we settle for a tired and unimaginative appointment like that?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
There's more chance of Mick Jagger becoming celibate than there is of us recruiting Fat Sam. Our chances of snagging Bielsa might have just got better.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2020, 07:26:37 PM »
When the league decide to abandon the season will DS be kept on or not?

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
When the league decide to abandon the season will DS be kept on or not?

I guess it depends if we are to be relegated or not.  I would hope that they finish the season, regardless of when it can be finished, and, cancel next season, as that hasn't been played yet! 

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »

Bolton was a long time ago, his reputation for dull football has grown with every job since the. If we do end up deciding to make a change why on earth should we settle for a tired and unimaginative appointment like that?
It amazes me how many fall into the Fat Sam line when trouble is brewing. I don’t get it. I’m sure they would soon all be on the internet grumbling how terrible we are to watch.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »

It amazes me how many fall into the Fat Sam line when trouble is brewing. I don’t get it. I’m sure they would soon all be on the internet grumbling how terrible we are to watch.

Crooked as the days long as well. I know it’s all about the money, but, even though he was stung, fecking up his England chance with a dodgy brown envelope, lack of class.

I agree with Marlon from bearwood, it would be a complete lack of class to use the crisis as a time to sack smith. If and when everything resumes, we will have one of our best players back (if not our best player) and smith a bit of breathing space to work out what to do. If this is just a lot of old tosh, I still haven’t seen one suggestion on here that would be practical. Maybe a big name if we stayed up, but no one other than a has been dodgy used car salesman would take up the mantle for 10 games only.

After Monday I thought the gig was up, but as unimportant as football is the midst of all this, it does give smith and the players time to regroup

Offline colin69

« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2020, 08:16:43 PM »
The time is probably not right to sack Smith now but inevitably it is coming sooner or later.  Without current events I’d have taken Big Sam all day long and not worried in the slightest if the football was shite if it kept us up. As things stand everything has now changed so it’s totally irrelevant.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal