collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Legion
[Today at 10:52:13 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Steve67
[Today at 10:52:12 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Steve67
[Today at 10:49:02 PM]

Diego Carlos by Monty
[Today at 10:48:12 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 10:47:30 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Steve67
[Today at 10:46:03 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Steve67
[Today at 10:44:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by aj2k77
[Today at 10:43:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45525 times)

Online Villan82

Re: Next manager
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »
The time is probably not right to sack Smith now but inevitably it is coming sooner or later.  Without current events I’d have taken Big Sam all day long and not worried in the slightest if the football was shite if it kept us up. As things stand everything has now changed so it’s totally irrelevant.

Prior to the crisis I would have taken Big Sam. And, for two seasons. If ever a club needed a year or two of being a boring, mid-table outfit it's us. it is TEN YEARS since we were a stable, safe, mid-table club. It would be amazing if we could be a 42-45 points a season side for a season or two and then make the next leap.

Now, however, we shouldn't do anything until things become clearer. If the season gets back under-way in a month- the air will be a lot clearer and things may shake-out a bit differently.

Offline colin69

« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
The time is probably not right to sack Smith now but inevitably it is coming sooner or later.  Without current events I’d have taken Big Sam all day long and not worried in the slightest if the football was shite if it kept us up. As things stand everything has now changed so it’s totally irrelevant.

Prior to the crisis I would have taken Big Sam. And, for two seasons. If ever a club needed a year or two of being a boring, mid-table outfit it's us. it is TEN YEARS since we were a stable, safe, mid-table club. It would be amazing if we could be a 42-45 points a season side for a season or two and then make the next leap.

Now, however, we shouldn't do anything until things become clearer. If the season gets back under-way in a month- the air will be a lot clearer and things may shake-out a bit differently.

Agree 100% with this.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
Fat Sam. Keep us up and bore our way to 11th or 10th.

Imagine a season that is just boring. When was the last one we had where we weren't trying to stop up, trying to get promoted, trying for Champions League or not sacking managers left right and centre?

It must have been O'Neill's first season.

Right now I would happily take boring our way to 10th or 11th. After that, once we are settled in with our squad deeper with more hardened PL level players bring in someone to push us on again. And as an aside, I actually don't think his sides were as boring as it made out. This is the same bloke who had a number of talented and exciting players while at Bolton. Believe me in a perfect world I'd never be advocating for boring and 10th, but short of Nuno leaving Wolves with Mendes or someone else truly outstanding that could address the current situation I'd take safety and becoming established again as the first goal.

Bolton was a long time ago, his reputation for dull football has grown with every job since the. If we do end up deciding to make a change why on earth should we settle for a tired and unimaginative appointment like that?
It amazes me how many fall into the Fat Sam line when trouble is brewing. I don’t get it. I’m sure they would soon all be on the internet grumbling how terrible we are to watch.

Thing is I think he'd provide us the bare minimum which quite frankly is all that we would need. Watford recruited Pearson until the end of the season. They change managers like any one of us changes socks. If they stay up what's that worth to them versus relegation? For us it's even more damaging so, do I puke a little into my mouth suggesting a rescue merchant like Allardyce? Of course. But all I give a fuck about is staying up, he'd be available and give us a way better chance of getting over the line than Smith. But if there's someone better, who's available and would come to a club in the bottom 3 of the PL then let's get him. We all thought ex-Lyon boss Remi Garde might have been that bloke last time around. What a disaster that turned out to be.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:22:55 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline colin69

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2020, 10:16:24 PM »

Imagine a season that is just boring. When was the last one we had where we weren't trying to stop up, trying to get promoted, trying for Champions League or not sacking managers left right and centre?

Right now I would happily take boring our way to 10th or 11th. After that, once we are settled in with our squad deeper with more hardened PL level players bring in someone to push us on again. And as an aside, I actually don't think his sides were as boring as it made out. This is the same bloke who had a number of talented and exciting players while at Bolton. Believe me in a perfect world I'd never be advocating for boring and 10th, but short of Nuno leaving Wolves with Mendes or someone else truly outstanding that could address the current situation I'd take safety and becoming established again as the first goal.

Bolton was a long time ago, his reputation for dull football has grown with every job since the. If we do end up deciding to make a change why on earth should we settle for a tired and unimaginative appointment like that?
It amazes me how many fall into the Fat Sam line when trouble is brewing. I don’t get it. I’m sure they would soon all be on the internet grumbling how terrible we are to watch.

Thing is I think he'd provide us the bare minimum which quite frankly is all that we would need. Watford recruited Pearson until the end of the season. They change managers like any one of us changes socks. If they stay what's that worth to them versus relegation? For us it's even more damaging so, do I puke a little into my mouth suggesting a rescue merchant like Allardyce? If course. But all I give a fuck about is staying up, and he'd be available and give us a way better chance of getting over the line than Smith. But if there's someone better, who's available and would come to a club in the bottom 3 of the PL then let's get him. We all thought for Lyon boss Remi Garde might have been that bloke last time around. What a disaster that turned out to be.

I know we didn’t see eye to eye earlier in the season when I dared to slag off Jack but I agree 100% with this.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2020, 10:17:28 PM »
Get Sam in now, may have a month of drilling some sort of defensive cohesion into this lot.

I actually think the break could do is a favour, if we act swiftly.

We won’t though and Smith will be in charge for the next game (whenever that is)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2020, 11:44:10 PM »
That's what I would do, another month of DS coaching will not make a difference we will still come back with the defence leaking goals.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2020, 12:05:35 AM »
Dean has an open goal opportunity to re-enforce his coaching staff. Will he?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »
Dean has an open goal opportunity to re-enforce his coaching staff. Will he?
Quite.

Online saint13

« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »

Thing is I think he'd provide us the bare minimum which quite frankly is all that we would need. Watford recruited Pearson until the end of the season. They change managers like any one of us changes socks. If they stay what's that worth to them versus relegation? For us it's even more damaging so, do I puke a little into my mouth suggesting a rescue merchant like Allardyce? If course. But all I give a fuck about is staying up, and he'd be available and give us a way better chance of getting over the line than Smith. But if there's someone better, who's available and would come to a club in the bottom 3 of the PL then let's get him. We all thought for Lyon boss Remi Garde might have been that bloke last time around. What a disaster that turned out to be.

I know we didn’t see eye to eye earlier in the season when I dared to slag off Jack but I agree 100% with this.

I too agree 100% with this comment.

Online Allan C

« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
I despair at the clamour of some fans for the likes of Allardyce as our manager I really do. We have had ten years of “Fat Sams” and look where we are!!! He would be a truly awful appointment and YES I would rather go down then have this man in charge of my club. Are fans suggesting that he’s our limit??? Him and all the other dinosaurs??? That we are a fat Sam club???? Not for me I’m afraid, I’m a villa fan till I die and long after any manager has been and gone but I won’t be visiting Villa Park if this man is ever in charge

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »
I said that about TSM 2 - and still went.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
The decades I've spent at Villa Park with good and not so good managers not once did it even occur to me to stay away because I didn't like the manager.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
I despair at the clamour of some fans for the likes of Allardyce as our manager I really do. We have had ten years of “Fat Sams” and look where we are!!! He would be a truly awful appointment and YES I would rather go down then have this man in charge of my club. Are fans suggesting that he’s our limit??? Him and all the other dinosaurs??? That we are a fat Sam club???? Not for me I’m afraid, I’m a villa fan till I die and long after any manager has been and gone but I won’t be visiting Villa Park if this man is ever in charge

In what way is "Fat Sam" a dinosaur? The sports science techniques he learnt in the states at the tail end of his playing career and applied at Bolton  were way ahead of most other English clubs at the time. I would rather take my chance with a Fat Sam in a ten game relegation battle than a Remi Garde or Pepe Mel.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2020, 12:26:56 PM »
What people need to understand here is how far we've fallen and how unattractive we look from the outside.

We have to be realistic in our targets.

A manager from the Championship?  We've got one of the brightest prospects from the Championship in charge currently - The fans choice but look how he's struggled at this level.  For me, another manager from there would be a massive gamble.

A manager from Europe or beyond?  Is always a gamble.  For every Poch, there are 10 Remi Gardes.

I look at what my priority is, which is PL survival at all costs.  Go down and I'm a bit more flexible.  However, to survive in the PL, I want the manager who is the least gamble.  Currently, the most realistic target is SA.  I want survival at all costs and if that means sacrificing the quality of football then so be it.  I'm not exactly dancing from the rooftops when the rain is pissing down on me after leaving the King Power stadium at 0-3 to hear the crowd roar as another goal goes in against us - It's hardly sexy football at present is it?

We are in the bottom section of the PL - It is not going to be open, attacking football each week anyway - The games are going to be played more often than not in our own half.  We have to somehow establish ourselves before we look for this elusive up and coming manager who is ready to take on the world.

Rome wasn't built in a day - The target has to be survival.

Online Allan C

« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »
The decades I've spent at Villa Park with good and not so good managers not once did it even occur to me to stay away because I didn't like the manager.
Me too, but it’s different with this man. It has to stop somewhere and for me it would be with him I’m afraid.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal