collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45369 times)

Offline Allan C

Re: Next manager
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2020, 01:35:04 PM »
I despair at the clamour of some fans for the likes of Allardyce as our manager I really do. We have had ten years of “Fat Sams” and look where we are!!! He would be a truly awful appointment and YES I would rather go down then have this man in charge of my club. Are fans suggesting that he’s our limit??? Him and all the other dinosaurs??? That we are a fat Sam club???? Not for me I’m afraid, I’m a villa fan till I die and long after any manager has been and gone but I won’t be visiting Villa Park if this man is ever in charge

In what way is "Fat Sam" a dinosaur? The sports science techniques he learnt in the states at the tail end of his playing career and applied at Bolton  were way ahead of most other English clubs at the time. I would rather take my chance with a Fat Sam in a ten game relegation battle than a Remi Garde or Pepe Mel.
And where are Bolton now??? I don’t remember them ever playing attractive football and I never heard any fan say they went to watch a team cos the sports science was good !!!

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2020, 01:40:12 PM »
I despair at the clamour of some fans for the likes of Allardyce as our manager I really do. We have had ten years of “Fat Sams” and look where we are!!! He would be a truly awful appointment and YES I would rather go down then have this man in charge of my club. Are fans suggesting that he’s our limit??? Him and all the other dinosaurs??? That we are a fat Sam club???? Not for me I’m afraid, I’m a villa fan till I die and long after any manager has been and gone but I won’t be visiting Villa Park if this man is ever in charge

In what way is "Fat Sam" a dinosaur? The sports science techniques he learnt in the states at the tail end of his playing career and applied at Bolton  were way ahead of most other English clubs at the time. I would rather take my chance with a Fat Sam in a ten game relegation battle than a Remi Garde or Pepe Mel.
And where are Bolton now??? I don’t remember them ever playing attractive football and I never heard any fan say they went to watch a team cos the sports science was good !!!

Bolton dropped after he left them as he had got them punching above his weight.

They didn't look too bad when they beat us in the League Cup semi one year.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2020, 02:29:09 PM »
The decades I've spent at Villa Park with good and not so good managers not once did it even occur to me to stay away because I didn't like the manager.
I did - couldn't bear the thought of McLeish being there. I baled out for a season.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2020, 08:34:15 PM »

Bolton, Newcastle, Sunderland and Blackburn all get relegated after he left but none of them went down while he was in charge. Which suggests he got more out of those limited teams than his successors did.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »

Bolton, Newcastle, Sunderland and Blackburn all get relegated after he left but none of them went down while he was in charge. Which suggests he got more out of those limited teams than his successors did.
Or he left them in such a state that the inevitable happened. Also ask West Ham or Everton fans if they would have him back

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2020, 11:34:33 PM »
Sam Allardyce is an older adult who had health issues. In the current climate he should be looking after his well being not taking on any managing roles. I think employing him at this time is risk for himself let alone how he copes with club football again. Allardyce who must be around 70 now. Maybe maybe football managers should have a retirement age like the same as the state do?
It's similar to when Gerard Houiller who must have been mid 60s when he signed up and he unfortunately became unwell.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »
Sixty six this year.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »

You obviously didn't watch his Bolton team, they were very entertaining.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »

They were one of the most horrible, cynical sides I've had the misfortune to pay money to watch.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »

They were one of the most horrible, cynical sides I've had the misfortune to pay money to watch.

Yes, he started the trend for that style off football that Pulis and others continued. It would show a complete lack of imagination and would knock thousands off the gate in an instant.

Offline TheMalandro

« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2020, 11:42:45 AM »

Yes, he started the trend for that style off football that Pulis and others continued. It would show a complete lack of imagination and would knock thousands off the gate in an instant.

I'm not advocating for him to replace Smith.

But to dismiss his Bolton side, in their peak, as not being attractive, is disingenuous.

Okocha, Djorkaeff, Campo and Hierro. Plenty of quality.

Dirty, yes, but most of the successful teams have some of both.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »

But to dismiss his Bolton side, in their peak, as not being attractive, is disingenuous.

Cynical is the word that comes to mind and despite the players you mention the long throw and continuous time wasting are the enduring memories most will have of that side.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »

Cynical is the word that comes to mind and despite the players you mention the long throw and continuous time wasting are the enduring memories most will have of that side.
Exactly  let’s not try to change history to justify this man being advocated as our manager

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »
His job has rarely been to create teams to play beautiful flowing football. It’s been to get his side punching way above their weight and keep them in the top division which he’s always done. That’s ALL we need this season.

Offline TheMalandro

« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2020, 12:52:28 PM »

Exactly  let’s not try to change history to justify this man being advocated as our manager

I think you are changing history, he did a marvellous job there.
Ask any of their fans what they thought about that period.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal