collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746833 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #5910 on: September 14, 2021, 12:08:10 PM »
We keep going over the same ground.

The vaccines work. If everyone who can be is vaccinated the chance of meeting someone with covid is much lower than if no one is vaccinated.

It's not zero because no vaccine is 100% effective, but that doesn't mean we should just forget it and give up on those who have no choice because of the selfishness of those that do.

Like I said, the vaccines are working when it comes to the prevention of serious illness, but not stopping the spreading. So maybe so the only real prevention for spreading is not attending or having mass crowds? Which is all I was getting at.

But the vaccines are stopping the spread. Vaccines reduce infection by at least 50%. If you don't have covid, you can't spread it.

So the safest thing for those who can't have the vaccine is for everyone who can to be vaccinated.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #5911 on: September 14, 2021, 12:16:40 PM »

The vaccines work. If everyone who can be is vaccinated the chance of meeting someone with covid is much lower than if no one is vaccinated.

It's not zero because no vaccine is 100% effective, but that doesn't mean we should just forget it and give up on those who have no choice because of the selfishness of those that do.

Like I said, the vaccines are working when it comes to the prevention of serious illness, but not stopping the spreading. So maybe so the only real prevention for spreading is not attending or having mass crowds? Which is all I was getting at.

But the vaccines are stopping the spread. Vaccines reduce infection by at least 50%. If you don't have covid, you can't spread it.

So the safest thing for those who can't have the vaccine is for everyone who can to be vaccinated.

I agree with your last sentence. But look at Israel now and the waning of especially the mrna vaccines (for infection) after the spread of delta.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #5912 on: September 14, 2021, 12:30:10 PM »
{alt}

Genuinely asking and not taking the piss but where did you hear it reduces transmission by 50%?

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #5913 on: September 14, 2021, 12:37:58 PM »
The link to that piece of research is further back in this thread (or maybe the other covid one) but I've just done a quick Google and this article from a couple of months ago (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html) suggests protection against symptomatic and asymptomatic infection could actually be higher than 50%.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5914 on: September 14, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
This is the problem with so much of the reporting of Covid and vaccines, people take headlines at face value, and headlines rarely include any context. 

There WAS some research that appeared to show vaccinated people who got symptomatic covid shed as much virus as unvaccinated people with symptomatic Covid.  This was latched onto as "Vaccinated people spread it as much as unvaccinated" - without taking into account the context that vaccinated people are FAR less likely to have symptomatic Covid in the first place.

Without that context, the statement "vaccinated people spread it as much as non-vaccinated people" is true, but misleading.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5915 on: September 14, 2021, 12:55:03 PM »
Unfortunately, some research shows that the Delta variant is 8 times more effective at spreading between vaccinated people than the Alpha variant was. Other research shows that vaccinated people with Covid 19 have just as high a viral load as unvaccinated people. Which to my non-scientific mind shows that the main reason for the vaccine now is to greatly reduce the severity of symptoms.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/spread-of-delta-sars-cov-2-variant-driven-by-combination-of-immune-escape-and-increased-infectivity

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #5916 on: September 14, 2021, 01:15:10 PM »
Unfortunately, some research shows that the Delta variant is 8 times more effective at spreading between vaccinated people than the Alpha variant was. Other research shows that vaccinated people with Covid 19 have just as high a viral load as unvaccinated people. Which to my non-scientific mind shows that the main reason for the vaccine now is to greatly reduce the severity of symptoms.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/spread-of-delta-sars-cov-2-variant-driven-by-combination-of-immune-escape-and-increased-infectivity

That was my understanding  too

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #5917 on: September 14, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »

Quite, this is where I’m with it. I said this morning, to ignore my ignorance on the science and stats with the spread with vaccinated people, but from experience with my family and lots of friends, also I work in a small community, which we’re seeing lots of cases, it’s spreading so quick and I don’t know anyone who isn’t vaccinated.

On the plus side, with everyone I know, nobody is becoming too ill. So it’s working on that side on things.

I’d say this 50% reduction is not true.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #5918 on: September 14, 2021, 02:08:19 PM »
Sajid Javid has announced that if needed and the virus continues to spread snd case numbers go up then Mandatory Face Masks and Vaccine Passports could be introduced.

They are now recommending everyone indoors wears a face covering, I don't expect to see anyone wearing them at VIlla Park on Saturday.

In some areas of the country it's running as low as 60% fully vaccinated. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:10:41 PM by Flin5tone »

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #5919 on: September 14, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »

More effective at spreading than the Alpha variant but still less effective at spreading amongst vaccinated people than unvaccinated. There's not a variant on the planet which isn't affected to some degree by the vaccines.

And the viral load point, as Smithy said, is a comparison of infected vaccinated people to infected unvaccinated people. If the vaccination stops you catching covid, which it does to some extent, you can't spread it.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5920 on: September 14, 2021, 03:53:03 PM »
They are now recommending everyone indoors wears a face covering, I don't expect to see anyone wearing them at VIlla Park on Saturday.

Can't think why nobody is taking them seriously and just not bothering.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:55:32 PM by Dave »

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #5921 on: September 14, 2021, 04:21:14 PM »

You misunderstand Dave. The rules are there for the plebs, not the important people at Westminster.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #5922 on: September 15, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »

Brilliant. Bunch of Cnuts.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5923 on: September 23, 2021, 11:23:34 PM »
Just 30-35% of top-flight footballers have been vaccinated

A report in Daily Mail:
Premier League clubs fear the season could descend into chaos amid ongoing resistance to Covid jabs.
Wolves, Brentford and Leeds — with reported vaccination rates of between 89 and 100 per cent — have been successful in persuading players to have the jab, but others are struggling to convince their stars.

Well-placed sources have revealed to Sportsmail that just 30-35 per cent of top-flight footballers have been vaccinated, compared to around 70 per cent in the EFL. At least two top-flight sides have no more than half a dozen players jabbed, and others have less than half.
A number of sides who don’t have European commitments are said to be having difficulty persuading squad members to have the jab.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5924 on: September 24, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
just to report that they were actually checking nhs covid passes to get into the away end at chelsea on wednesday night.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal