collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 21907 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »
Didn't expect much from this game, yet chelski didn't kill us off by adding to their 2 goals, so we remained in the game till the end. Swap Tammy for Wes in this game and maybe we could have been the victors. For me Engels needs to return Sunday, as does Guilbert (no offence to Elmo or Konsa).
At best Luiz and Trez are impact subs only.
Reading some of the comments on here, it seems some posters can't wait to have a pop at their favourite scapegoat. As for the comment and endorsements that we should have made a substitution at half time after probably our best spell in the game, and 4+ minutes after scoring and getting back into it...really?
This game won't define our season, onwards to Sunday and the upcoming run of games against lowly teams. UTV!

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »
The fact we are still in games that we are either drawing or losing is the reason Kodja doesn't come on. He is too indisciplined.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:03:04 AM by Walmley_Villa »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
Didn't expect much from this game, yet chelski didn't kill us off by adding to their 2 goals, so we remained in the game till the end. Swap Tammy for Wes in this game and maybe we could have been the victors. For me Engels needs to return Sunday, as does Guilbert (no offence to Elmo or Konsa).
Reading some of the comments on here, it seems some posters can't wait to have a pop at their favourite scapegoat. As for the comment and endorsements that we should have made a substitution at half time after probably our best spell in the game, and 4+ minutes after scoring and getting back into it...really?
This game won't define our season, onwards to Sunday and the upcoming run of games against lowly teams. UTV!
Pretty much my thoughts too. Yes we were poor but not as poor as some are making out. This Chelsea team will be knocking on the Champions League door this season but then they’ve had years of preparing for it or actually doing it. We havnt for years but I think we’re going in the right direction

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2019, 07:59:25 AM »
Thought Konsa and Mings were not up to standard, Heaton did well and came and caught the ball from crosses and corners, he also gathered a tricky deflected ball in to the box.

Trez was good in spells, same as SJM. Jack comfortable but no real out ball for him so lost possession a couple of times. Wes is too isolated on his own and needs a player up with him I think before we will ever see what he is capable of.

Luiz did well when he came on, Hourihane was never involved, doesn’t put a tackle in and won’t get close enough to the opposition as a central midfielder.

Wing backs were poor apart from the ball in from AEH for the goal.

Engels needs to come back in with Mings for the next one as we are more solid and Tyrone looks less error prone with him next to him.

Thought Nakamba ran all day and put a decent shift in.

As for Deano, good sub Luiz for Hourihane but could have put Kodjia on and gone 4-4-2 for the last 15/20 mins.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »

I know you're a big fan of Conor but are you really suggesting we looked better with him than Luiz?

Offline eamonn

« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
Their squad worth about four times ours.

Their trophy count significantly higher.

They've been in the top reaches of the league for years and won the Champions League only We've just been promoted having been in the championship and before that having circled the Premier League plughole for half a decade.

They won the league as recently as 2017 and the Europa League last season.

It's the reality, we're going to have bad days, and this is precisely the sort of team it's likely to happen against.

I was flat watching it, as it didn't look like we'd get anything from the game. However xwe hung in there and didn't get hammered (score wise).

Onwards.

Chris Wilder doesn't give a shit about any of that and goes there with a more limited team than ours and battles for a well-earned point. Aren't you a Sheff lad now, Drummond? Learn from that grit in them parts.
Also, as has been pointed out, Chelsea's goalscorers were both playing in the same division as us last season. I would have expected us to be more competitive last night.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
There was only one decent team on that pitch. We came to play

Not sure about that

The first part is an exaggeration, sure. Particularly when you remove the rest of the original post which offers my reasons for saying this.

But the second part stands. We came to play. They were cynical and full of niggle.

Have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. They had 66% possession and 17 shots, 11 on target. We were crap and totally outplayed.

Outplayed - ok. We weren’t crap though. When we tried to play it so often resulted in a foul on John or Jack.

You like stats I think, so here is one for you. They committed 18 fouls compared to our 10. They fouled us nearly twice as much as we fouled them even though they had more of the ball and that is with some pretty dubious refereeing. 

Let’s keep it in perspective this team is growing together. Chelsea have been established and spending big in the top flight for a long time.

The game I watched there was a fair amount of spirit, some skill and a bit of naivety. Some very good players and some that will play less as we develop.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:48:23 AM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Offline eamonn

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »
Until he popped up with the equaliser I genuinely didn't know Trez was playing.

yeah, he was utterly hopeless until then. put in a decent enough shift after then though.

strange player isnt he? one paced, one footed, predictable in his play

yet has scored in his last three starts, and unlucky not to get one at Old Trafford

The first Villa player to do that since....

Tom Claverley apparently!  (May 2015)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
eamonn, you must have read a different post to mine. I didn't mention Conor once.
On the subject of Luiz (who I did mention) I'm not convinced yet.
He seems a better player when coming off the bench, like last night and vs Norwich. Probably like a few of our players (eg Trez who still has to convince me he's a winger)  he needs to grow into the premier league.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
Only just reading back this forum from last night. Some of the early reactions are fkn ridiciculous. Dean Smith and the crew don't know what they're doing etc etc. Ffs guys give it rest will you. Think where we were a little over one year ago. The best we could of hoped for at that point was to survive as a club and hopefully still be plying our trade in the championship. Now some people are slagging off our 20 million pound striker and pointing the finger at the management and the rest of the 130 million quids worth of players we've acquired. We are still on target for survival in the premier league which was the only thing any sensible Villa fan was hoping for.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
Seemed like the draw at OT took it out of some of the players. Most were only 6/10 ratings or lower last night and that will happen unfortunately in some games this season. Having said that the defending for Tammy's goal was exceptionally poor and the failure to stop crosses into the box would be a worry no matter how well or badly we play!

Oh and Wesley, put yourself about mate!

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
I thought Chelsea were one of the best teams we have played this season. Some of their play in the second half was just beyond us. We did well to keep them out in that fifteen minute period in the second half. Luiz coming on really helped to steady us.

Wesley - how many chances did we create for him? I don't remember him having a single decent opportunity - All we did was hump it long to him and expect some magic. He has scored from cut backs and through balls this season. Before we destroy the lad we ought to consider the service he gets.

Targett was our poorest player last night for me, but Konsa and Mings were suspect at times again too. Abraham's goal was so easy for him because someone had moved up, forcing Mings out, which left Konsa out of position and Abraham free. It's a lapse on our behalf.

We weren't shit by any stretch, but Chelsea were just much better and on their game.

Heaton was fantastic, at least two excellent saves. I thought Luiz and Nakamba both did well too.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2019, 09:34:03 AM »
We were second best for most of the game.

Some poor defensive concentration and several players below par. I thought Heaton, Nakamba, Elmo and Luiz were all decent and Jack did well in patches.

From the away end you could see that we were defending narrowly as we often do, and Chelsea were keeping William (who was the best player on the pitch for me) and on the other flank Pulisic (I think) very wide, so they had easy wide balls as an option. We don't close these down quickly enough and both goals came from not stopping crosses. The way we defend we seem to depend on our wide midfielders / forwards to stop crosses rather than the defenders.

When we tried to play wide ourselves I thought Chelsea were very tight on us and didn't allow us space to attack them.

We stayed in the game, more due to Chelsea's profligacy than anything, but didn't really deserve a point. I think we need more pace in the team as an outlet when under pressure and we also have a soft underbelly so more physicality would help too.

Our away support was very good last night, though you could just about hear them in the second half. Chelsea was the quietest I have ever heard them at home, though I hadn't been there since the 2011 NYE win. Maybe we weren't enough to get them excited about?

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
We desperately need real options up front - we don't have a realistic alternative to Wes and if he's having a mare we can't do anything. Roll on Jan. Bad day at the office - suspect Leicester might take their chances.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
Did well in spells and stayed in the game. Chelsea were the best passing team I've seen. Needed Connor off earlier as he just didn't  have the mobility that Luis has. I thought Wes worked hard but couldn't help but imagine the difference Tammy would make in our team. A striker in Jan is a no brainer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal