collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 21912 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
Hhmmm

Heaton - 8 MOTM good performance and good saves
Elmo - 7 gem of an assist and I thought played ok, was certainly our most creative outlet.
Konsa - 5 a real chalk and cheese performance, utterly abysmal followed by oh good block/tackle.
Mings - 5 similar his at times sloppy play is starting to annoy. Sharpen up Tyrone.
Targett - 5 was playing alright for about 50 odd minutes then the whole thing went to shit and he was abysmal.
Nakamba - 7 was doing far too much on his own at times.
McGinn - 7 definitely better than the last few games, seemed sharper and was using that great arse turn he does to full effect.
Hourihane - 5 anonymous in my view
Trez - 6 gets a point for his goal but was anonymous before that and a total passenger.
SuperJack - 7 very good first half but was anonymous 2nd half.
Wesley - 3 tried but his lack of mobility and to be fair support around him means he just isn’t in the game.
Doug L - 7 was encouraged by his performance coming on as he did and we seemed better for it.

Deano - 5 we still seem to be searching for our identity as a group at the moment, it’s not quite clicking as others have commented but when we play, as we showed in flashes tonight, we can compete.

Away fans - 10 loud proud and about all you could hear on the TV.

Onwards.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
   At last some sense about Wesley - Messi could do no more with high balls up to him with no  support and surrounded by 3 defenders. All the Wesley haters just stop making him a scapegoat..Mings and Mcginn both need dropping and is Targett really any better than Taylior?

Don't agree on Wesley. I don’t expect him to do miracles but I do expect him to hold the ball up occasionally and take a bit of pressure of us as surely that’s why he’s there. Does he look a goal threat, no and McGinn needs dropping eh 🙄

Mate, seriously, if you have ever played centre forward and all you get is the ball whacked up to you, high in the air and you are on your own, I defy anyone to do any better.  Yes, I want him to push people over and compete, show more bollocks, but the way we play, does him no favours either.  He does need more physicality but he is NOT totally at fault.

But we don't just whack the ball up to him. Okay tonight we were limited but we haven't played like that every game.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline Luke8

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2019, 10:42:21 PM »
It shouldn't be overlooked that apart from Newcastle, we've had an incredibly difficult run of games, including - Man City, Liverpool, Wolves, Man Utd and Chelsea. And we've got Leicester next who are flying. Even Sheffield United away will be tough.
For me, the Christmas games against Southampton, Norwich, Watford and Burnley will be the most crucial as to our direction going into the New Year.

I agree with that.

As would I. I would also add that there is a reasonable chance that we will come out of these next two games still outside the relegation zone with that run of easier fixtures to come to hopefully push us up the table.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:21 PM »
There was only one decent team on that pitch. We came to play

Not sure about that

The first part is an exaggeration, sure. Particularly when you remove the rest of the original post which offers my reasons for saying this.

But the second part stands. We came to play. They were cynical and full of niggle.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:49:50 PM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »
Think Dean Smith and the coaching staff got it wrong tonight.  We were far too open in midfield at times tonight and in games like that away from home, we need to go with Luiz and Nakamba.  Hourihane is far too lightweight to compete against those type of sides and they just strolled past him at will.

We may be able to play with just the one holding midfielder against the poorer sides in the league, but we need to be a lot stronger in there when we come up against the better sides.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2019, 10:57:22 PM »
Think Dean Smith and the coaching staff got it wrong tonight.  We were far too open in midfield at times tonight and in games like that away from home, we need to go with Luiz and Nakamba.  Hourihane is far too lightweight to compete against those type of sides and they just strolled past him at will.

We may be able to play with just the one holding midfielder against the poorer sides in the league, but we need to be a lot stronger in there when we come up against the better sides.

I'm a fan of Smith, but his in-game management needs to improve.  He sticks religiously to 4-3-3 even though we've been overrun playing it on a regular basis especially when away from home, and his subs rarely have a positive effect on a game.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »

Obviously easy to say in hindsight, but tonight was one of the games where a change in shape could of really helped the players and perhaps covered somewhat the tiredness/lack of energy. We were not able to press well high up the pitch and caught ahead of the ball to far too often which left us very exposed at the back.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:29 PM »
The high and lows of this site. Most people on a high after Sunday, to an overwhelming gloom tonight.

We were beaten by a better side tonight. But it’s not a disaster and while it wasn’t a great performance it wasn’t terrible (like wolves) either.

Drawing with Man Utd doesn’t mean we’ll stay up, losing by one goal to a very good Chelsea side doesn’t mean we’ll go down. As some others have said, the Xmas period and Southampton, Norwich, Watford and Burnley is vital, if we can manage 9/10 points from them I think we’ll be ok.

On some of the comments tonight;

-smith made a change tonight that actually gave us a foothold in the game, Luiz for Hourihane. Not sure why he would make a change at 1-1 at half time to one of the best sides in the league;

-despite not creating much their keeper still had to make a great save from luiz’s header late on;

-they played grealish well always having two on him;

-Targett is a much better player than Taylor, but was weak in a few challenges late on;

-we love a scapegoat down the villa. Wesley obviously not the best in the world, but away from home especially he’s isolated (hence grealish on the left). He also won loads of headers tonight, but there was no one there to pick up pieces. Kodjia is not good enough, which is why he doesn’t come on.

-El Ghazi is better than Trez.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2019, 11:08:23 PM »
There was only one decent team on that pitch. We came to play

Not sure about that

The first part is an exaggeration, sure. Particularly when you remove the rest of the original post which offers my reasons for saying this.

But the second part stands. We came to play. They were cynical and full of niggle.

Have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. They had 66% possession and 17 shots, 11 on target. We were crap and totally outplayed.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2019, 11:24:15 PM »
Best Villa performance I’ve seen this season and I’ve seen us beat Everton and Newcastle. Chelsea were very good tonight. Tammy and Kante make a huge difference for them and they played some fantastic football.
Somehow we stayed in the game and were very competitive. I’m not Wesley’s biggest fan but I thought he did well tonight. Connor was our only obvious weak point.
Play like that and we’ll be fine!
And sitting amongst the Tarquins I was very proud of our support tonight. Well done all 👍👍👏👏👏

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
Best Villa performance I’ve seen this season and I’ve seen us beat Everton and Newcastle. Chelsea were very good tonight. Tammy and Kante make a huge difference for them and they played some fantastic football.
Somehow we stayed in the game and were very competitive. I’m not Wesley’s biggest fan but I thought he did well tonight. Connor was our only obvious weak point.
Play like that and we’ll be fine!
And sitting amongst the Tarquins I was very proud of our support tonight. Well done all 👍👍👏👏👏

Good Christ.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »
Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
Newcastle and Everton had absolutely nothing to offer offensively whereas Chelsea were really dangerous. Competing with them tonight shows how far we’ve come. Room for improvement still but we’re on the right track .

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2019, 11:35:46 PM »

Luiz was woeful away at Wolves next to Nakamba, they both were really. His effort to stop Traore for the winning Wolves goal was as bad if not worse than anything Hourihane did tonight. Don't think Luiz can have any complaints about being dropped. Much better performance tonight when he came in but a long way to go before he is a nailed on starter for me.

Irrespective of who we have in midfield, we are very easy to play against. That's a big problem and a real lack of pace all over the pitch. Only AEG and Mings stand out as genuinely quick. Targett and Hourihane are snail like when turned. Tonight our press was severely limited as Trez and Wes are one paced.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal