collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464262 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »
I see what you're saying but for me in our position right now it's as simple as this:  Would player (eg Brewster) be an asset to our squad and help us stay up?  If the answer is yes then it's worth doing, no strings attached.  It's just one (or two) loans, it won't leave us with a problem it will just help us through a period where we're thin on the ground and allow us to look again in the summer with another years PL riches secured.

Seen a bit of him in league cup and he just reminds me of Solanke who I think is still yet to score for Bournemouth. We were linked to Ben Woodburn not so long ago, he went to Sheffield United instead and they sent him back after two months. Think he's now at Oxford.

Surely we're passed the point now of getting in young players with lack of experience of playing proper games. To me to improve more over next year we need to sign an established player or two not just for club but their national team aswell.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2019, 09:51:24 PM »
Balotelli is available on a free or loan.  Might be fun, good player when he puts his mind to it and good for team spirit....possibly.

Perhaps not.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:33 PM »
Time for bed Steven....YES RIGHT NOW.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

What a collective waste of time that was eh?
Yes they are because we trained two  of them and now they are benefitting our rivals and the other two cost a fair few bobs after being given game time by us. I don't like loans.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #244 on: December 03, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »
But they wouldn’t be our rivals if we hadn’t had those players.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2019, 11:20:45 PM »
What is really the difference between a loan and a contracted player? Most players only stay at a clubs for a few years anyway, and for us, if do have decent player, sooner or later he will leave if one of CL clubs come in for him. At least with a loan, we can send them back after a shorter time if they are shit.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2019, 12:04:45 AM »
What is really the difference between a loan and a contracted player? Most players only stay at a clubs for a few years anyway, and for us, if do have decent player, sooner or later he will leave if one of CL clubs come in for him. At least with a loan, we can send them back after a shorter time if they are shit.

It is the short term nature of loans which is the difference I suppose.  As we saw last season, they can be very beneficial if there is an immediate short term goal (ie. going up or staying up) and there is then a plan in place to build from there.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2019, 12:42:24 AM »
How many successful ( teams that win stuff) teams rely on loan players?

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2019, 01:05:59 AM »

Bayern Munich - Coutinho, Perisic
PSG - Rico, Icardi
Man City - Scott Carson (not a first teamer obviously)

All have loan players in their squad. Chelsea, with all their wealth, last season had Kovacic on loan which they've now turned into a permanent. While not saying it's ideal, it would be silly to rule the possibility out completely. If a loan fits a given situation, then why not?

As an example, if Chelsea had their transfer ban overturned, bought in two big name strikers and said they'd loan Abraham out to us for the rest of the season, should we turn that down on principle? (unlikely I know, but just an example).

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2019, 06:56:44 AM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

Yes they are because we trained two  of them and now they are benefitting our rivals and the other two cost a fair few bobs after being given game time by us. I don't like loans.

But they all played a massive part in getting us promoted, so they were very effective.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »

Bayern Munich - Coutinho, Perisic
PSG - Rico, Icardi
Man City - Scott Carson (not a first teamer obviously)

All have loan players in their squad. Chelsea, with all their wealth, last season had Kovacic on loan which they've now turned into a permanent. While not saying it's ideal, it would be silly to rule the possibility out completely. If a loan fits a given situation, then why not?

As an example, if Chelsea had their transfer ban overturned, bought in two big name strikers and said they'd loan Abraham out to us for the rest of the season, should we turn that down on principle? (unlikely I know, but just an example).
Point taken, I would suggest that what a Good manager wants is a settled squad with the nucleus of the team with 2 + years left on their contracts. This looks like the model that DS is aiming for.
They have stated that the policy is not to loan players which I agree with, but I am sure that there are circumstances that a loan may be a necessary.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #251 on: December 04, 2019, 08:38:03 AM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

The Baggies didn't loan these players and didn't get promoted.  But at least they didn't have to pay over the odds for Mings so they're having the last laugh now, right?

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #252 on: December 04, 2019, 08:47:52 AM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

The Baggies didn't loan these players and didn't get promoted.  But at least they didn't have to pay over the odds for Mings so they're having the last laugh now, right?

DS said we may of paid over the odds but since his transfer his worth has doubled and for what it's worth FTA

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #253 on: December 04, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

So you'd rather we hadn't signed them and we were playing Barnsley tonight?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #254 on: December 04, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »
There’s two sides to it imo. The commercial aspect where permanent signings are an asset that you can develop and loans are someone else’s asset you are developing (or, injuring, etc.)

But I think that argument goes away when it comes to promotion from the championship, because the financial benefits of promotion dwarf any increase in transfer values you’ve foregone.

Then there’s the emotional side and I definitely agree that cheering on ‘our’ players is qualitatively different. But I think it’s a bit of a false distinction anyway. With a few exceptions all players are mercenaries and encouraged to think that way by the economics of football. As an example, just thinking of the last few years, I’d consider Snodgrass more of a villa man than Delph based on his relationship with the fans/squad and his contribution on and off the pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal