collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by Flin5tone
[Today at 05:21:21 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Legion
[Today at 05:20:22 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by David_Nab
[Today at 05:18:13 PM]

Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 05:17:19 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Drummond
[Today at 05:03:19 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by andyh
[Today at 04:49:06 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Dave P
[Today at 04:37:00 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Dave P
[Today at 04:36:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 242439 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
See the increase in Ming's value as the reason to not loan players!

Loans got us promoted.

! Maybe they did. But Mings cost us three times what he was worth prior to promotion.

There's no maybe about it, and the extra we paid for Mings is a fraction of what he was worth to us last season.

Offline Ian J

• GM : 10.09.2020
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2019, 07:45:28 PM »
See the increase in Ming's value as the reason to not loan players!

Loans got us promoted.

! Maybe they did. But Mings cost us three times what he was worth prior to promotion.

There's no maybe about it, and the extra we paid for Mings is a fraction of what he was worth to us last season.
I’d have paid double what we ended up paying at the start of last season if I’d knew that Mings would have helped take us from closer the foot of the table in February to winning at Wembley come May. He’s been worth every single penny and some.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 29.07.2019
« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »
I think we’d be mad not to use the loan system more.  Like Mings, it is an opportunity to get players who would otherwise not join us.  Once here they grow an affiliation and join permanently if we want them.

Online walsall villain

« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
I think we’d be mad not to use the loan system more.  Like Mings, it is an opportunity to get players who would otherwise not join us.  Once here they grow an affiliation and join permanently if we want them.
Purslow’s said after our play off win that Villa did not won’t to continue to rely on the loan system. The club apparently feels you are ultimately improving players who aren’t yours. I’m guessing we will bring in zero loans in the foreseeable future.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
Loan to buy is ok though as long as we insert a clause.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 10.04.2020
« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »
Tammy wasn't a bad loan either.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »

For where we are now then I would agree.  We just needed to get out of the Championship as quickly as possible, so short-term loans that helped us do that were fine.  We are now looking to build something more sustainable and to progress, so need a longer term view when making signings. 

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 12.06.20
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »

Agree - the try before you buy approach can be shrewd business.  Allows us to take a couple of 'punts' with not much downside risk, but plenty of upside potential. While Mings is worth every penny we paid, an agreed figure at the start of the loan would have been a flipping bargain.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
I have just posted in the Wesley thread that if the right striker isn't available in January that I'd rather see a loan than a make do and mend purchase.  I think waiting to find the right fit is more important than just acquiring more players.  Strikers could become the new right backs.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »

Agree - the try before you buy approach can be shrewd business.  Allows us to take a couple of 'punts' with not much downside risk, but plenty of upside potential. While Mings is worth every penny we paid, an agreed figure at the start of the loan would have been a flipping bargain.
Yes, you just need to cast your eye over to Wolves, who have used the 'loan to buy' very effectively over the last couple of years: Boly, Jota, Jiménez , Dendoncker and Jonny. They have all improved their side immensely.

Online chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Loan to buy isn't always on offer.

Right now, we are threadbare at front and our PL safety is far from secure.  If we were offered a decent option on loan who would improve the team, then under our current circumstances we would be crazy not to take that up even if it's acknowledged it's not our favoured way forward.

Online hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
Whether it's a loan or a permanent we absolutely need a striker, and a good one.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
We need one that shoots. Shoots a lot. Look at the best forwards in the world and they all get shots in. I always like Defoe for that reason. Not big, but quick, instinctive, and while he might miss a few time, he scored or led to other goals being scored from rebounds. We just do not do that enough.

Offline darren woolley

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
I agree loans are a good thing if there is a buy option at the end of the loan we have had some brilliant loan deals Milner, Snodgrass and Mings to name but a few I know we have had some stinkers but that's what happens with loans you take a chance.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
I think there are 2 worthwhile types of loan for premier league clubs.

1. Young players that you have a strong chance of keeping if you choose to.
2. Experienced quality that addresses a specific gap with as close to a 'sure thing' as you can get.

I see very few options that fit the 2nd of those right now, Batshuayi is probably the only player I'd be willing to consider that might be available (and I think it's a slim chance he will be). For the former I just think anyone worth signing on loan would be unlikely to have a future fee agreed so I'd be very cautious about signing someone like Brewster who comes with no guarantees and, if he does well, becomes a problem for us next season instead of a benefit.

I'd much rather go for a permanent signing if we can but again I just don't see how we get someone good enough without doubling our transfer record, which i don't see happening in January.  It's a tough one to guess what will happen but my gut says we'll pick up someone in the £10-20m range who is another youngster who can improve.