collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464272 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
We need one that shoots. Shoots a lot. Look at the best forwards in the world and they all get shots in. I always like Defoe for that reason. Not big, but quick, instinctive, and while he might miss a few time, he scored or led to other goals being scored from rebounds. We just do not do that enough.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
I agree loans are a good thing if there is a buy option at the end of the loan we have had some brilliant loan deals Milner, Snodgrass and Mings to name but a few I know we have had some stinkers but that's what happens with loans you take a chance.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
I think there are 2 worthwhile types of loan for premier league clubs.

1. Young players that you have a strong chance of keeping if you choose to.
2. Experienced quality that addresses a specific gap with as close to a 'sure thing' as you can get.

I see very few options that fit the 2nd of those right now, Batshuayi is probably the only player I'd be willing to consider that might be available (and I think it's a slim chance he will be). For the former I just think anyone worth signing on loan would be unlikely to have a future fee agreed so I'd be very cautious about signing someone like Brewster who comes with no guarantees and, if he does well, becomes a problem for us next season instead of a benefit.

I'd much rather go for a permanent signing if we can but again I just don't see how we get someone good enough without doubling our transfer record, which i don't see happening in January.  It's a tough one to guess what will happen but my gut says we'll pick up someone in the £10-20m range who is another youngster who can improve.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
I see what you're saying but for me in our position right now it's as simple as this:  Would player (eg Brewster) be an asset to our squad and help us stay up?  If the answer is yes then it's worth doing, no strings attached.  It's just one (or two) loans, it won't leave us with a problem it will just help us through a period where we're thin on the ground and allow us to look again in the summer with another years PL riches secured.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2019, 02:57:05 PM »
I would much rather buy than loan, but I'd much rather loan than go down through lack of good enough players in a given position.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
I would much rather buy than loan, but I'd much rather loan than go down through lack of good enough players in a given position.

Exactly. We’ve probably got a good enough squad to stay up, but I can’t see any point in taking chances. It’s not the same as when Fistface had half a squad of loanees which left us short when they all went back.

Online paul_e

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
I don't disagree with that, I just don't think signing someone like Brewster (who has played 180 minutes of senior football in his career and never scored a senior goal) would be an asset or has been proven good enough. I want us to sign another striker, I just want it to be someone that is definitely going to be ahead of Davis on merit and I think a lot of the loan options we'll have don't fit that. I just can't see many strikers I'd be interested in that aren't playing and that their club would be happy to loan out rather than sell.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
I think for the first time in a long time I have enough trust in the way that our transfers are being done. I’m happy for them to just get on with it, whether it’s either loans or purchases. The squad isn’t perfect, but generally the players they’ve brought in have impressed me. It’s all such a contrast to previous years, like being terrified of buying Grant Holt and nobody else.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »
I think for the first time in a long time I have enough trust in the way that our transfers are being done. I’m happy for them to just get on with it, whether it’s either loans or purchases. The squad isn’t perfect, but generally the players they’ve brought in have impressed me. It’s all such a contrast to previous years, like being terrified of buying Grant Holt and nobody else.
[/b]

What is he up to these days?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

What a collective waste of time that was eh?

Online paul_e

« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

It needs context though, they were all signed when we had a paper thin squad, were looking set to be midtable in the championship and had no money to spend.

Now we've got good depth in almost all of the squad, plenty of money in the bank, and we're doing ok in the biggest league on the planet.

I'm not against a loan, I just don't know who we could go for that would be as close as possible to a guarantee of delivering what we need for 4-5 months. If I could see a top class striker struggling to make match day squads for a decent premier league team then great but other than there being a small chance that Chelsea would let Batshuayi or Giroud leave I can't see anyone else. That leaves a loan from abroad but that's more of a risk. If I'm missing an obvious choice then great but I really don't like the idea of someone like Brewster.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Loans are shit.

Mings
Tuanzebe
Abraham
El Ghazi

It needs context though, they were all signed when we had a paper thin squad, were looking set to be midtable in the championship and had no money to spend.

Now we've got good depth in almost all of the squad, plenty of money in the bank, and we're doing ok in the biggest league on the planet.

I'm not against a loan, I just don't know who we could go for that would be as close as possible to a guarantee of delivering what we need for 4-5 months. If I could see a top class striker struggling to make match day squads for a decent premier league team then great but other than there being a small chance that Chelsea would let Batshuayi or Giroud leave I can't see anyone else. That leaves a loan from abroad but that's more of a risk. If I'm missing an obvious choice then great but I really don't like the idea of someone like Brewster.

Aren't Liverpool one of those clubs that like to put penalty clauses in if you don't play their cherubs? Fuck being dictated to by them.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
David Villa in an MLS off-season loan. Could be good to wheel on for 20 minute cameos if Wesley still isnt billowing the onion bag.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
He’s not even effective anymore in MLS.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2019, 08:29:49 PM »
Harry Wilson would probably have been a good loan signing in the summer, with the option to buy (and preferably at an agreed price). So there will always be the odd one that could be worth it. I agree with the sentiment of not developing other team's players for them but that shouldn't mean being completely closed off to loan deals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal