collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Wolverhampton Wanderers League Cup Post-Match Thread  (Read 15071 times)

Offline kieron

Re: Aston Villa vs Wolverhampton Wanderers League Cup Post-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2019, 11:40:21 PM »
Konsa and Hause, cool as you like.

Lansbury, enjoyed watching him tonight especially as he's game time limited, thought he did well.

Luiz, picked out several passes and indeed did perform, but can be very sloppy at times and prone to an error or three putting us right in the shit.

Trez, end product really needs to start coming together over the coming weeks now, but feel he worked hard.

Neil Taylor - time to go, sunshine. Offers nothing. Ever. Bye. Deano has two players for everyone position.... sorry, no, he only has one left back at the moment and it's not Taylor.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
Dean Smith fucked up with the substitution with John McGinn picking up an unnecessary yellow card. There was no need for him to come on when he did.

Maybe, but there was also absolutely no need for McGinn to make that challenge in that manner. Reminiscent of some of his dafter stuff throughout the first half of last season.

Yeah, I’m not sure you can blame Dean Smith for McGinn making that unnecessary challenge.

Bookings are specific to each competition now though I believe, so not a huge issue.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
Just got back from the game, El Ghazi was not our best player, but for his name appearing on the scoresheet I wouldn't have known he was playing.

Douglas the worst.......not a chance.

Hause impressed me, but very disappointed in Hourihane, after starting a few games recently and looking damn good, he had a real chance to impress tonight and be back in the team, but this was the 'couldn't give a shit' Hourihane from the Bruceball days.

Well he could have had even more attacking threat and impose himself but give Anwar credit.
He had a talking to from Smith other week and was noticeable in his tracking .
Particular the incident where Netto (before he was just subbed) out pace and out muscles Taylor all the way to penalty area Taylor doing his best to fuck up and El Ghazi has sprinted back also and got his toe on the end of it making a perfect challenge and out for a corner after Netto went past Taylor by this time in the  penalty area.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:00 PM »
Bit of a pre-season friendly about it. Wolves were not too bothered, we did enough to get through. You can see why Lansbury is not starting, very limited & that header towards the end was awful. Davies did well, felt sorry for him hobbling off. Luiz is quality but is prone to the odd error. Trez blew hot and cold. Looking fwd to see who next, Colchester please at home.

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2019, 11:52:18 PM »
We beat the champions of the world/universe. They offered literally nothing. We have the next game to look forward to.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2019, 11:55:29 PM »
Just got back from the game, El Ghazi was not our best player, but for his name appearing on the scoresheet I wouldn't have known he was playing.

Douglas the worst.......not a chance.

Hause impressed me, but very disappointed in Hourihane, after starting a few games recently and looking damn good, he had a real chance to impress tonight and be back in the team, but this was the 'couldn't give a shit' Hourihane from the Bruceball days.

Well he could have had even more attacking threat and impose himself but give Anwar credit.
He had a talking to from Smith other week and was noticeable in his tracking .
Particular the incident where Netto (before he was just subbed) out pace and out muscles Taylor all the way to penalty area Taylor doing his best to fuck up and El Ghazi has sprinted back also and got his toe on the end of it making a perfect challenge and out for a corner after Netto went past Taylor by this time in the  penalty area.

Maybe Deano should switch El Ghazi to be a left back. Love your thinking, Vill I An.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
See ya Real Wolverona!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2019, 11:59:13 PM »
I wouldn't say we made heavy work of it. I reckon most of our team could play another game tomorrow night they had such an easy time of it.

Luiz was class, Konsa and Hause were very good, Elmo did ok and is a good backup, Taylor was poor (other than 1 really good cross which AEG really should've buried). Further forward we didn't quite create enough because they, effectively, had a back 5 and 2 DMs, it meant we had fuck loads of possession but we got crowded out on the edge of their box a lot. Given everything their fans say about how great they are turning up and defending their box for 90 minutes and trying to catch us on the counter doesn't scream tactical masterclass by a team that are vastly above us in quality.

Well we were 1 nil up and weren't really creating much and then of course 1-1 happened. Quickly back in front but even then Steer did well one on one.

Surprised at everyone saying this was our easiest win of the season,  we had just 5 shots on target. Norwich was much more convincing.

Not our fault Wolves put a virtual youth team of course (don't think any of that 11 will play us in 11 days time) but thought we were much more comfortable down at Brighton.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 11:59:38 PM »
Bit of a strange game really that definitely had the feel of a reserve fixture at times.  Thought Wolves hardly threatened and on the couple of occasions they did, it was through chances WC gifted them (Douglas losing possession and then Taylor's under hit back pass).

Thought Hause and Konsa were solid, but the rest were a bit too sloppy at times.  With Douglas being the prime example.  He is clearly a talented player and to be fair to him he didn't have much of a pre-season, but he looks far too casual at times. 

On another note, did they not count the away fans in the attendance figure tonight, as I'm not sure how you would have fitted another six to seven thousand in there tonight.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »
Dean Smith fucked up with the substitution with John McGinn picking up an unnecessary yellow card. There was no need for him to come on when he did.

Maybe, but there was also absolutely no need for McGinn to make that challenge in that manner. Reminiscent of some of his dafter stuff throughout the first half of last season.

Did a quick check and McGinn is only on 2 yellows so no bother, should stay clear of suspension given they wipe 5 yellows in I think mid December.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2019, 12:20:35 AM »
Just got back, fuck the fucking M6 and the fucking A14.  2 hours to do 45 miles at 10 o'clock at night, absolute madness.

Anyway, the game obviously had a distinctly second string feel to it, but was still enjoyable despite that.  The good thing was that it showed we have good depth to the squad.  Hause and Konsa both did very well and I'd have no worries about either of them slotting in for Mings or Engels should the need arise.

Taylor really is hopeless though, all he ever does is receive the ball, look up, then pass it to whoever is stood furthest away behind him.  I'd rather we ditched him altogether and used Hause as back up left back.  Luiz was a weird one, at times looked a class apart with his passing and ability on the ball, but at others looked a liability with Wolves going straight through him on more than one occasion.  Lansbury looked decent, and has an eye for a pass, but lacks Jack's ability to run with the ball and take people on. 

Elmo looked OK, Hourihane was anonymous, and El Ghazi and Trezeguet were their usual selves.  Davis looked his usual busy, but ultimately non-threatening self.  He isn't the answer and looks like he might be out for a while now anyway.

Should have buried them by far more, but I don't think they'll be too upset about going out.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2019, 01:03:06 AM »
pleased with the win
but couldn't help wondering that if we played that same team on Saturday and Liverpool went for it we Could be looking at another Liecester Southampton reverse against us

so I'm not all that convinced that we really have the cover and strength in depth people think we have
but maybe I'm being overly negative

someone on the earlier thread said they loved the League cup and had seen all the finals from the early 60's
I don't go back quite that far but I'm also in the camp of love for this competition and was really looking forward to tonight
But the whole thing felt was a bit flat from both the players and crowd considering it was a local ish Derby

we are through to the quarters, if we get a favourable draw I hope we don't bollocks it all up with a none performance
even Oxford or Colchester will offer far more than Woves did tonight
and the others will kill us if we play that team

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2019, 01:09:57 AM »
Pretty much every side in Europe would get battered if they fielded their second 11 against Liverpool's first.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2019, 01:15:52 AM »
I get the feeling the the Wolves manager took the easy option and the excuse tonight by fielding the team he did. He knew that he would have had to throw in a fair few first teamers to get a result against our lot tonight and then  it still would have been up in the air. Instead he excused himself and the club by fielding reserves. He and Wolves weren't up for the fight tonight and rightfully got dispatched with minimum fuss by our reserve team. Whatever excuse is ready made for them, it was our reserve team that beat them without breaking a sweat. They might aswell hadn't bothered and stayed in Wolverhampton drinking Bovril for the night to keep warm.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2019, 02:04:25 AM »
Player ratings tonight? Anyone at all putting pressure on getting in the team for Liverpool? Luiz, Hourihane, Trez and AEG had the most to gain pre-game you would think.
No as opposition was very weak. CB's did ok but never had any pressure.

It was the most pleasant early morning Villa experience in many a long year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal