collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Wolverhampton Wanderers League Cup Post-Match Thread  (Read 15029 times)

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Aston Villa vs Wolverhampton Wanderers League Cup Post-Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2019, 09:58:13 AM »
Can't see why so much negative comment on here.

We put out a reserve team but still had 6 internationals starting and 2 came off the bench. Apart from 2 errors they never created a chance.

Their fans moaning their team was full go kids - but they have very few reserves to call on. If they get a few injuries some these kids will have to fill in. Their squad is not as deep as ours. That is what is upsetting them the most.

That team we had last night would be very good in the championship. As a team they would not survive in the premiership but they are good enough individually to fill in when our first teamers get injured. It is a strong back up squad, which Wolves don't have.

I'm sure last night's game will have sown a few seeds of doubt in their minds. They can see what Dean Smith is building and know that in the long run we will make progress while their bubble bursts.

Onwards and Upwards.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
When are we looking at having the official pre match thread for Liverpool will I be sometime this afternoon?
It's the biggest home match since being back in premier league against unbeaten league leaders
I also think it's another great test and it's what being in premier league is all about !

Offline manic-road

« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
Fair bit of build up, non event.  Neither Davis or Kodjia did much to put pressure on Wes for the weekend, especially with the injury.  Luiz MOTM by a distance. 
Ahmed ElMohammedy in my opinion was MotM.

I had him as my MotM as well, Ruddy ran him close as he helped Villa during the tie.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2019, 10:18:45 AM »

Anyway, the game obviously had a distinctly second string feel to it, but was still enjoyable despite that.  The good thing was that it showed we have good depth to the squad.  Hause and Konsa both did very well and I'd have no worries about either of them slotting in for Mings or Engels should the need arise.

Taylor really is hopeless though, all he ever does is receive the ball, look up, then pass it to whoever is stood furthest away behind him.  I'd rather we ditched him altogether and used Hause as back up left back.  Luiz was a weird one, at times looked a class apart with his passing and ability on the ball, but at others looked a liability with Wolves going straight through him on more than one occasion.  Lansbury looked decent, and has an eye for a pass, but lacks Jack's ability to run with the ball and take people on. 

Elmo looked OK, Hourihane was anonymous, and El Ghazi and Trezeguet were their usual selves.  Davis looked his usual busy, but ultimately non-threatening self.  He isn't the answer and looks like he might be out for a while now anyway.

Should have buried them by far more, but I don't think they'll be too upset about going out.

Spot on other than I would add that I am really not seeing anything in Trezeguet to excite or inspire me. Too many times runs into blind alleys and decision making is very poor.
El Ghazi flatters to deceive at times but does have some goals and assists to his name this year - Trez has provided neither for around the same amount of game time.
I will not write him off but just not feeling he will come good at the moment.
Davis has some decent attributes but I bet if you looked at the "hot spot" gadget the analysts sometimes use then I would imagine single figures would be the amount of touches inside the box at best.
Lansbury - assists for both goal, the 1st a class bit of vision and the 2nd something obviously worked out on the training pitch.
Other than that all our dead ball deliveries were woeful again.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
Dean Smith fucked up with the substitution with John McGinn picking up an unnecessary yellow card. There was no need for him to come on when he did.

Maybe, but there was also absolutely no need for McGinn to make that challenge in that manner. Reminiscent of some of his dafter stuff throughout the first half of last season.

That tackle was the highlight of the night for me.
Lee I would have liked you to have worded that as: His tackle was the highlight of the night for me. 😊

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »
Risso and Hooky have summed up the game I watched last night.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »
We exerted ourselves as much as we needed to and no more.  I thought Taylor was ok apart form almost gifting them a goal, which is no worse than Luiz did. Still struggling to see what Trezeguet offers, still zero goals and zero assists - although to be fair it was his cross that Lansbury should have buried. He was fortunate not to be yellow carded for a rather pathetic dive as well.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:56 AM »
Trez has no bottle, no appetite for physical contact, thought that wa Taylor’s best game in ages. Still concerned. How difficult we made last night for ourselves

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2019, 11:25:44 AM »
Pretty standard win for the team without needing to get out if 2nd gear. Wolves came to park the bus in a Mourinhoesque masterclass and utterly failed. That said we weren't perfect but did enough.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »
I am not Lansbury's biggest fan but I though he played well last night along with his other appearances in the the cup this season. I had a music teacher at school called Lansbury and he was an absolute mentallist.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »
Trez needs some bloody power in his feet..  such  a weak shot on him

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2019, 12:04:12 PM »

Aaand the first i hear Jack say is "Louise", as mentioned on the thread last night.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Dominant from us against a poor Wolves second/third string. Grateful we won.

I was disappointed in Davis, but I admit he had no service all game really. We had a lot of possession but didn't really create too much. But that's to be expected when they have everyone behind the ball. Taylor teases by getting forwards but inevitably his passes seem unconvincing and not quite forward-thinking enough. For me it was frustrating to watch - against a team he could have potentially done some damage against.

Luiz, Konza and Hause were excellent and it was a joy to watch them pass it around and build for another move forwards. Great one-on-one save from Steer at one point when it was 2-1 too.

We won, can't ask for more than that really! Up the Villa!

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
Dominant from us against a poor Wolves second/third string. Grateful we won.

I was disappointed in Davis, but I admit he had no service all game really. We had a lot of possession but didn't really create too much. But that's to be expected when they have everyone behind the ball. Taylor teases by getting forwards but inevitably his passes seem unconvincing and not quite forward-thinking enough. For me it was frustrating to watch - against a team he could have potentially done some damage against.

Luiz, Konza and Hause were excellent and it was a joy to watch them pass it around and build for another move forwards. Great one-on-one save from Steer at one point when it was 2-1 too.

We won, can't ask for more than that really! Up the Villa!

I agree with this, Villa cubs beat Wolves pups without getting out of second gear

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal